LawrenceA

Films of 2018

392 posts in this topic

Just five months after the lowest-rated #Oscars telecast on record, @TheAcademy's board of governors not only re-elected cinematographer John Bailey as its president, but also approved several major changes to the tradition-bound ceremony's format

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/race/academy-plans-three-hour-oscars-telecast-adds-popular-film-category-1133138

Image result for oscars changes

• Like 1

One thing this Oscar decision reflects is a gap between AMPAS's Board of Govs, which is very Hwood-establishment, and a huge new membership they don't yet know well. AMPAS can dismiss people like me as Twitter noise, but I think they may be surprised at some pushback from within.

On the latest edition of CBS Sunday Morning, David Edelstein reviewed Spike Lee's "BlacKkKlansman," a comedy/drama based on a true story. The film, which won the Grand Prix award at the 2018 Cannes Film Festival, stars John David Washington (son of Denzel), Adam Driver, Laura Harrier and Topher Grace.

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 6:54 PM, LawrenceA said:

Here's a picture of the lead actors, John C. Reilly and Steve Coogan, in costume as Oliver Hardy and Stan Laurel, respectively.

first-photo-coogan-reilly-arestan-and-ol

How are the reviews?

But not a very good opening for this kind of movie

17 minutes ago, spence said:

But not a very good opening for this kind of movie

From what I've read, the opening was a success, as it was twice that of what was predicted.

16 minutes ago, spence said:

Any plans to go see this one?

No. I'll catch it on disc or on TV sometime, perhaps.

Not box office related, or that I have even seen the film, but The Wife, a chamber-piece drama that made the festival circuit last year, opened in a few theatres in NY/LA and is getting flat-out raves for its lead, Glenn Close. Keep an eye on her as a potential nominee for Best Actress for next year, and depending on how the other actresses' films go over, she might finally win....