LawrenceA

Films of 2018

525 posts in this topic

free-solo-1080x675.jpg

Free Solo (2018) is an amazing documentary that follows Alex Honnold's attempt to be the first person to climb Yosemite's El Capitan with no ropes, using just his toes and fingertips.

It is astonishing and especially if you see it on the big screen.  For a guy who doesn't like heights I've always been fascinated with the camerawork on mountaineering films but Free Solo is in another category altogether.

I've haven't squirmed in my seat this much since I was ten getting fillings drilled by a psycho dentist.  It is simply unbelievable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Above average for a low-budget, meat-and-potatoes sci fi thriller, #Prospect is a work- and character-based story that manages to make wandering around in the woods feel like being on an alien world.

Why all of the Bob Strauss tweets? I don't know him, or why his opinion should matter. I'm not trying to be hostile, just curious why there have been so many posts of his tweets in this thread as of late.

• Thanks 1

free_solo_still.jpg

Free Solo (2018) is a film that has stayed with me days after seeing it on the big screen.  Like any good ride that absolutely terrifies you I'm drawn to want to see it again - and soon!  If it comes to a theatre near you I highly recommend going to it.  It is simply unbelievable on so many levels.

MV5BNGU5ZDQ1OGUtNWRiMS00MWNmLWI4Y2UtOGQz

There were plenty of nervous giggles, mumbling to myself, a desire to give up and run out of the theatre and all sorts of other emotions.  Even one of the films' cinematographers can't bring himself to look at the eyepiece of the camera that follows the climber's ascent.

free+solo+doc.jpg

• Thanks 1

Here's a rundown on the major releases for November:

November 2

bohemian-rhapsody-3-700x292.jpg

Bohemian Rhapsody - A biopic on the band Queen, featuring a stand-out performance from Rami Malek as flamboyant frontman Freddie Mercury. The film has come under criticism for allegedly whitewashing the band's offstage antics, as well as giving short shrift to Mercury's sexuality, but that didn't stop it from becoming the #1 film of the past weekend. 

nobodysfoul_main.png

Nobody's Fool - The latest comedy from Tyler Perry, this stars Tiffany Haddish and Tika Sumpter as sisters plotting revenge on an ex-boyfriend.

the-nutcracker-and-the-four-realms-1-e15

The Nutcracker and the Four Realms - Candy-colored fantasy from Disney, featuring Keira Knightley, Morgan Freeman, and Helen Mirren, among others. It involves princesses and and other-dimensional kingdoms and some other nonsense. I thought it looked like garbage, and the reviews seem to back that idea up, but kids may like it.

boy-erased-2018-joel-edgerton.png?w=474

Boy Erased - This smaller-release film was touted as an awards contender, but the reviews have been mild. Lucas Hedges stars as a young man sent to gay conversion therapy by his religious parents. The cast includes Russell Crowe, Nicole Kidman, and Joel Edgerton, who also directed.

November 9

MV5BYjEzMmMwNTUtNmQxOS00N2UzLTliNGUtNDU4

Dr. Seuss' The Grinch - Since they put his name in the title, I have to wonder how much this animated film will have to do with any written works by Dr. Seuss. It's an animated kids' film though, so it will likely make an obscene amount of money.

girl%20in%20spiders%20web%20trailer%20ma

The Girl in the Spider's Web - This maybe-waited-too-long new installment in the adventures of hacker Lisbeth Salander (Claire Foy) is being met with lukewarm reviews, as was the source book, which was not written by original-trilogy-author Stieg Larsson. 

overlord-trailer.png

Overlord - A WWII men-on-a-mission movie crossed with grisly horror, this isn't the first film to try that kind of mash-up, but it's getting great word-of-mouth and the reviews have been stellar. 

MV5BOWFkYjE1MmItNjMyZi00ZDY0LTg5MjctMjM4

The Front Runner - A cinematic telling of the rise and fall of presidential candidate Gary Hart (Hugh Jackman). 

November 16

636565413619049124-FNBST2-ONLINE-TSR-INS

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald - More fantasy adventure in the world of Harry Potter, this second prequel showcases arch-villain Grindelwald (Johnny Depp), while also adding a young Dumbledore (Jude Law). If you're into this kind of thing, you were already going to see it. Me, not so much.

MV5BOGY1ZTM4NjYtNDYxYS00OGYwLTg3NWUtN2Ey

Instant Family - Light fare about a childless couple (Mark Wahlberg and Rose Byrne) who adopt three young children. Blah.

Widows960x540.jpg

Widows - Director Steve "not the actor" McQueen returns with this remake of a British TV mini-series about the widows of a group of criminals who plot revenge against the people that betrayed their spouses. The powerhouse cast includes Viola Davis, Michelle Rodriguez, Elizabeth Debicki, Cynthia Erivo, Colin Farrell, Liam Neeson, Jacki Weaver, Daniel Kaluuya, Jon Bernthal, and Robert Duvall.

November 21

1537995887_535244_1537997155_noticia_nor

Creed 2 - Follow-up to the better-than-expected 2015 boxing drama, a spin-off/sequel to the Rocky films. Michael B. Jordan returns as Adonis Johnson/Creed, this time challenged in the ring by the son of the man (Dolph Lundgren) who killed Adonis' father back in Rocky IV. Sylvester Stallone returns as well as Rocky, now the aged trainer and cornerman.

green-book-480x279.jpg

Green Book - More awards talk for this 60's-set drama about a tough New Yorker (Viggo Mortensen) hired to drive a black pianist (Mahershala Ali) through the Deep South on a concert tour. 

05wreck-it-ralph2-2-articleLarge.png?qua

Ralph Breaks the Internet - Animated sequel to the videogame-centric 2012 hit Wreck-It Ralph. I didn't see that one, and I probably won't see this one, but a lot of other people will.

1513075653_466_first-look-taron-egerton-

Robin Hood - Just what we needed: another Robin Hood movie. This origin tale has Taron Egerton as the youthful bandit, being trained in the outlaw arts by mentor Jamie Foxx. Ugh.

Second-Act-movie-2018.jpg?ssl=1

Second Act - Rom-com starring Jennifer Lopez as a 40-something who gets a corporate job thanks to a fake social media profile. It sounds relevant and terrible.

The-Favourite-Olivia-Colman-cast-real-li

The Favourite - Period drama from director Yorgos Lanthimos (DogtoothThe Lobster). The name of the game is intrigue in the 18th century court of Queen Anne (Olivia Colman). Also featuring Emma Stone, Rachel Weisz, and Nicholas Hoult. This is also a reported awards contender.

November 30

If-Beale-Street-Could-Talk-Trailer-700x3

If Beale Street Could Talk - One more awards contender in this drama from Moonlight director Barry Jenkins. Kiki Layne stars as a pregnant woman determined to prove her incarcerated husband's innocence before she gives birth to their child.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 1:07 AM, jakeem said:

The BBC Culture annual critics’ poll took on the 100 greatest foreign-language films this year.

Here are the top 5:

5. “The Rules of the Game”

4. “Rashomon”

3. “Tokyo Story”

2. “Bicycle Thieves”

1. “Seven Samurai”

Full list: http://bit.ly/2zdLUms 

Dqwy3RhU4AALWwK.jpg

Good goin' again Jakeem!  Not really a Foreign-Language buff myself, except for a chosen few>CINEMA PARADISO (l989-Italy), RAN (l985-Japanese), LA STRADA (l956-Italy), SHOAH (l985 9 hr documentary from France) & a couple more, I much more have always preferred HOLLYWOODS GLORIOUS GOLDEN AGE & STUDIO-SYSDTEM-(circa 1925 to 1963)

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 9:15 PM, jakeem said:

#Oscars: Why producer Donna Gigliotti should pick more than two hosts http://thr.cm/03cjwo 

Dq22BeRX0AUoK_m.jpg

At this very early stage of my personal favorite annual game,etc  ROMA appears to be the very early frontrunner for BP & RAMI MALEK in "Bohemian Rhapsody" or CHRISTAN BALE in "Vice" seem to lead for Best Actor Gold & in my view 6 time contender & loser GLENN CLOSE I've thought for months is the leader to final score in "The Wife"

20 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Here's a rundown on the major releases for November:

November 2

bohemian-rhapsody-3-700x292.jpg

Bohemian Rhapsody - A biopic on the band Queen, featuring a stand-out performance from Rami Malek as flamboyant frontman Freddie Mercury. The film has come under criticism for allegedly whitewashing the band's offstage antics, as well as giving short shrift to Mercury's sexuality, but that didn't stop it from becoming the #1 film of the past weekend. 

nobodysfoul_main.png

Nobody's Fool - The latest comedy from Tyler Perry, this stars Tiffany Haddish and Tika Sumpter as sisters plotting revenge on an ex-boyfriend.

the-nutcracker-and-the-four-realms-1-e15

The Nutcracker and the Four Realms - Candy-colored fantasy from Disney, featuring Keira Knightley, Morgan Freeman, and Helen Mirren, among others. It involves princesses and and other-dimensional kingdoms and some other nonsense. I thought it looked like garbage, and the reviews seem to back that idea up, but kids may like it.

boy-erased-2018-joel-edgerton.png?w=474

Boy Erased - This smaller-release film was touted as an awards contender, but the reviews have been mild. Lucas Hedges stars as a young man sent to gay conversion therapy by his religious parents. The cast includes Russell Crowe, Nicole Kidman, and Joel Edgerton, who also directed.

November 9

MV5BYjEzMmMwNTUtNmQxOS00N2UzLTliNGUtNDU4

Dr. Seuss' The Grinch - Since they put his name in the title, I have to wonder how much this animated film will have to do with any written works by Dr. Seuss. It's an animated kids' film though, so it will likely make an obscene amount of money.

girl%20in%20spiders%20web%20trailer%20ma

The Girl in the Spider's Web - This maybe-waited-too-long new installment in the adventures of hacker Lisbeth Salander (Claire Foy) is being met with lukewarm reviews, as was the source book, which was not written by original-trilogy-author Stieg Larsson. 

overlord-trailer.png

Overlord - A WWII men-on-a-mission movie crossed with grisly horror, this isn't the first film to try that kind of mash-up, but it's getting great word-of-mouth and the reviews have been stellar. 

MV5BOWFkYjE1MmItNjMyZi00ZDY0LTg5MjctMjM4

The Front Runner - A cinematic telling of the rise and fall of presidential candidate Gary Hart (Hugh Jackman). 

November 16

636565413619049124-FNBST2-ONLINE-TSR-INS

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald - More fantasy adventure in the world of Harry Potter, this second prequel showcases arch-villain Grindelwald (Johnny Depp), while also adding a young Dumbledore (Jude Law). If you're into this kind of thing, you were already going to see it. Me, not so much.

MV5BOGY1ZTM4NjYtNDYxYS00OGYwLTg3NWUtN2Ey

Instant Family - Light fare about a childless couple (Mark Wahlberg and Rose Byrne) who adopt three young children. Blah.

Widows960x540.jpg

Widows - Director Steve "not the actor" McQueen returns with this remake of a British TV mini-series about the widows of a group of criminals who plot revenge against the people that betrayed their spouses. The powerhouse cast includes Viola Davis, Michelle Rodriguez, Elizabeth Debicki, Cynthia Erivo, Colin Farrell, Liam Neeson, Jacki Weaver, Daniel Kaluuya, Jon Bernthal, and Robert Duvall.

November 21

1537995887_535244_1537997155_noticia_nor

Creed 2 - Follow-up to the better-than-expected 2015 boxing drama, a spin-off/sequel to the Rocky films. Michael B. Jordan returns as Adonis Johnson/Creed, this time challenged in the ring by the son of the man (Dolph Lundgren) who killed Adonis' father back in Rocky IV. Sylvester Stallone returns as well as Rocky, now the aged trainer and cornerman.

green-book-480x279.jpg

Green Book - More awards talk for this 60's-set drama about a tough New Yorker (Viggo Mortensen) hired to drive a black pianist (Mahershala Ali) through the Deep South on a concert tour. 

05wreck-it-ralph2-2-articleLarge.png?qua

Ralph Breaks the Internet - Animated sequel to the videogame-centric 2012 hit Wreck-It Ralph. I didn't see that one, and I probably won't see this one, but a lot of other people will.

1513075653_466_first-look-taron-egerton-

Robin Hood - Just what we needed: another Robin Hood movie. This origin tale has Taron Egerton as the youthful bandit, being trained in the outlaw arts by mentor Jamie Foxx. Ugh.

Second-Act-movie-2018.jpg?ssl=1

Second Act - Rom-com starring Jennifer Lopez as a 40-something who gets a corporate job thanks to a fake social media profile. It sounds relevant and terrible.

The-Favourite-Olivia-Colman-cast-real-li

The Favourite - Period drama from director Yorgos Lanthimos (DogtoothThe Lobster). The name of the game is intrigue in the 18th century court of Queen Anne (Olivia Colman). Also featuring Emma Stone, Rachel Weisz, and Nicholas Hoult. This is also a reported awards contender.

November 30

If-Beale-Street-Could-Talk-Trailer-700x3

If Beale Street Could Talk - One more awards contender in this drama from Moonlight director Barry Jenkins. Kiki Layne stars as a pregnant woman determined to prove her incarcerated husband's innocence before she gives birth to their child.

Unfortunately I had planned to go & check out FIRST MAN for my 54th birthday-(Nov. 8th), but most local theaters down here already pulled the sci-fi epic?

So hope to see CREED II-(AKA: ROCKY 8 instead when it opens  (P.S. Sly stated if there is a CREED II he plans to kill of THE ROCK!)

Life's Cruelty Is A Constant In The Coen Brothers' Mixed Bag Western 'Ballad'

"Joel and Ethan Coen have an erratic body of work but a remarkably consistent worldview. So it's no surprise that their six-part Western anthology, The Ballad of Buster Scruggs, feels like both an entirely coherent vision and something of a mixed bag.

The vignettes are wildly divergent in quality: There are shaggy-dog tales and grim morality plays, and one violently over-the-top farce. And yet somehow they all seem to be telling the same story: Life is cruel and absurd, comedy is indistinguishable from tragedy, and fortune smiles on someone only to turn around and kick them in the gut........

In The Ballad of Buster Scruggs, they gleefully embrace the conventions and clichés of the genre, but to strangely melancholy — even troubling — effect. As the Coens remind us, with their usual impish wit and impeccable craft, there's still a lot of pleasure to be mined from those conventions. But there are lessons to be learned, too. The road that seems to stretch toward manifest destiny often leads to brutality and death, one tall tale at a time. "

https://www.npr.org/2018/11/09/666140045/lifes-cruelty-is-a-constant-in-the-coen-brothers-mixed-bag-western-ballad?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=202909

• Thanks 1

On 11/2/2018 at 2:32 PM, Bogie56 said:

free-solo-1080x675.jpg

Free Solo (2018) is an amazing documentary that follows Alex Honnold's attempt to be the first person to climb Yosemite's El Capitan with no ropes, using just his toes and fingertips.

It is astonishing and especially if you see it on the big screen.  For a guy who doesn't like heights I've always been fascinated with the camerawork on mountaineering films but Free Solo is in another category altogether.

I've haven't squirmed in my seat this much since I was ten getting fillings drilled by a psycho dentist.  It is simply unbelievable.

Hope someone with rocket boots was around to catch him. :wacko:

2560x1440?w=1920&h=1080&fm=jpg&auto=comp

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2018/11/10/hoc6-n10.html

House of Cards Season 6: The King is dead, long live the Queen!

The sixth and final season of House of Cards, inspired by the 1990 British BBC miniseries (based on the novel by Michael Dobbs), is now streaming on Netflix.

House of Cards is set in Washington, D.C. Its first five seasons center on Congressman Frank Underwood (Kevin Spacey), a Democratic Party politician, who, with the help of his scheming wife Claire (Robin Wright), lies, manipulates and kills his way into the White House.

At its most hard-hitting, the series exposed the mendacity and corruption endemic to the American political system, the overwhelming influence and power of big business in Washington, the suppression of political opposition, the use of frame-ups and murder to get rid of “troublesome” journalists and the cold-blooded willingness of the American government to invent “terrorist attacks” for its own criminal purposes.

In the year and a half that has passed since the release of Season 5 in May 2017, however, a good many things have occurred both in the world at large and in the more immediate confines of the series itself. It’s impossible, first of all, to seriously discuss the drama and development of the new season without referring to the #MeToo campaign and the fate of Kevin Spacey, who starred in the initial 65 episodes of the series, first streamed in February 2013.

• Thanks 1