LawrenceA

Films of 2018

209 posts in this topic

On 3/6/2018 at 5:58 AM, jakeem said:

As of today #BlackPantherblackpanther_live_v3.png ($899mil global) has surpassed:

every Thor movie

Doctor Strange $677 mil

Ant-Man $519mil

Captain America: First Avenger $370 mil

Winter Soldier $714 mil

Iron Man 2 $623 mil

Justice League $657 mil

Batman vs Superman $873mil

Wonder Woman $821mil

Good! because I haven't seen one of those millennial garbage pieces of bleep movies and never will.

so why has black panther done so well? I hafta ask as I will never watch it.

is it simply well conceived and executed or is it because black panther is a black superhero or is it the black cast?

or was it that black audiences have been starving for a kickass black superhero movie that had not been delivered up until now?....

by a supposedly diverse hollywood?

1 minute ago, NipkowDisc said:

Good! because I haven't seen one of those millennial garbage pieces of bleep movies and never will.

so why has black panther done so well? I hafta ask as I will never watch it.

is it simply well conceived and executed or is it because black panther is a black superhero or is it the black cast?

or was it that black audiences have been starving for a kickass black superhero movie that had not been delivered up until now?

Whatever the answer is no one can say nobody saw it when it wins the Best Picture Oscar next year!

6 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

I got an idea for a sequel...

Black Panther in Chicago

:)

Why stop there? How about Paris, Beirut, Iraq, Iran and Eurasia? :ph34r:

Black Panther $ update: It's now 7th on the all-time U.S. grosses list and will easily pass Last Jedi and Avengers to become the top superhero movie ever (domestically). And passing Jurassic World and Titanic to end up at #3 feels quite possible.

A word about adjusting for inflation: Yes, it matters. But if you do it, you should also "adjust" for a changing business that has made theatrical exhibition only a part of a film's overall audience. If your goal in adjusting is to try to downplay a film's cultural impact...nope.

These won't be 2018 films, and they may not even get made, but I thought it was odd and interesting news that these 2 filmmakers may be making superhero movies.

First, despite the disappointment many felt over A Wrinkle in Time, Warner Brothers announced that Ava Du Vernay has been tapped to direct an adaptation of the DC Comics' title New Gods. The series, created by comics legend Jack Kirby and premiering in the early 1970's, is a space opera science fiction tale detailing the war between the good planet of New Genesis and the evil planet of Apokolips. Their war has been in an uneasy truce for a long time ever since the two planets' leaders, Highfather and Darkseid respectively, agreed to swap their newborn children to the other to raise and use as a deterrent against future hostilities. However, their cold war turns hot and spills across the galaxy to Earth itself.

8f949ffb695e1111c6477fd9a94a7673.jpg

Secondly, Sony Pictures is in talks with Spike Lee to helm a film adaptation of Marvel's Nightwatch. It follows Dr. Kevin Trench who witnesses the death of a masked superhero. When he inspects the body and removes the mask, he learns that the superhero was himself! He takes the costume and uses its power to try and stop his own death from occurring, fighting other crime along the way. The character had occasional interactions with Spider-Man, and they share an inner-city NYC setting.

236158.jpg