LawrenceA

Films of 2018

454 posts in this topic

Can't wait to see Black Panther, still playing in IMAX here, but alas I am currently under the weather. I love a good SciFi/Fantasy genre on the big screen. Marvel makes great films. DC not so much but Wonder Woman was very good

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, LilyoftheValley said:

Can't wait to see Black Panther, still playing in IMAX here, but alas I am currently under the weather. I love a good SciFi/Fantasy genre on the big screen. Marvel makes great films. DC not so much but Wonder Woman was very good

You'd better hurry! The release date for Marvel's "Avengers: Infinity War" has been moved back to April 27.

And get well soon! 

Related image

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 3:57 PM, jakeem said:

JAKEEM, do you have a compilation of some major realeses due this spring yet? Can't find anything of interest??? Plus aren't any sequels, remakes of comics?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Major releases in the next month:

March 23

Pacific Rim: Uprising - SF sequel about human-piloted giant robots that do battle with enormous monsters.

Sherlock Gnomes - Terrible-looking animated film about talking garden gnome statues.

Unsane - Thriller from director Steven Soderbergh notable for being filmed with his phone.

Midnight Sun - Teen romance starring Bella Thorne and Patrick Schwarzenegger.

Paul, Apostle of Christ - Religious drama starring Jim Caviezel.

 

March 30

Ready Player One - SF adventure from Steven Spielberg about people looking for treasure in a virtual reality game. The book was a best-seller, and was notable for wallowing in 1980's pop culture references.

Tyler Perry's Acrimony - Taraji P. Henson stars as a woman scorned looking for revenge.

 

April 6

Blockers - Raunchy comedy about parents trying to stop their teenage kids from losing their virginity on prom night.

A Quiet Place - Horror thriller starring Emily Blunt and John Krasinski about a family struggling to survive in a post-apocalyptic world overrun by creatures who are drawn to sound.

Chappaquiddick - Jason Clarke stars as Ted Kennedy in this telling of the infamous car wreck scandal.

 

April 13

Rampage - Dwayne Johnson stars as a scientist battling giant mutated animals. Based on an old arcade video game.

Truth or Dare - Horror thriller about young people trapped in a cursed game of truth or dare.

 

April 20

I Feel Pretty - Amy Schumer stars in this comedy about a woman who suffers an injury that instills her with too much confidence. It's meant to be a satirical look at women's insecurities.

 

April 27

Avengers: Infinity War - Marvel comics team-up movie that's expected to be the biggest hit of the year.

 

Of course there are various other indies and foreign releases, but these are all of the wider release titles. If I've missed some, feel free to add to it.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TO JAKEEM, have you seen "Black Panther?"   Of course a sequel is already planned

 

& more importantly on another  site-(which shall remain nameless) I very much & tried to no avail to find the IQ's of NATALIE WOOD, *TRACY, *SINATRA, WINONA RYDER & it says EINSTEIN never got one done?

 

PLEASE REPLY & ASSIST PAL

 

Have you had chance to see either *"SHAPE OF WATER" or "THREE BILLBOARDS...?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Slavoj Zizek tears apart Black Panther in new review.

https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/quasi-duo-fantasias-straussian-reading-black-panther/#!

WE WERE WAITING for a film like Black Panther, but Black Panther is not the film we were waiting for. [1] The first sign of ambiguity is the fact that the movie was enthusiastically received all across the political spectrum: from partisans of black emancipation who see in it the first big Hollywood assertion of black power, through liberals who sympathize with its reasonable solution — education and help, not struggle — up to some representatives of the alt-right, who recognize in the film’s “Wakanda forever” another version of Trump’s “America first” (incidentally, this is why Mugabe, before he lost power, also said some kind words about Trump). When all sides recognize themselves in the same product, we can be sure that the product in question is ideology at its purest — a kind of empty vessel containing antagonistic elements.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you report on "B. Panther" now the 4th highest grosser of all-time?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 11:05 PM, LawrenceA said:

Major releases in the next month:

March 23

Pacific Rim: Uprising - SF sequel about human-piloted giant robots that do battle with enormous monsters.

Sherlock Gnomes - Terrible-looking animated film about talking garden gnome statues.

Unsane - Thriller from director Steven Soderbergh notable for being filmed with his phone.

Midnight Sun - Teen romance starring Bella Thorne and Patrick Schwarzenegger.

Paul, Apostle of Christ - Religious drama starring Jim Caviezel.

 

March 30

Ready Player One - SF adventure from Steven Spielberg about people looking for treasure in a virtual reality game. The book was a best-seller, and was notable for wallowing in 1980's pop culture references.

Tyler Perry's Acrimony - Taraji P. Henson stars as a woman scorned looking for revenge.

 

April 6

Blockers - Raunchy comedy about parents trying to stop their teenage kids from losing their virginity on prom night.

A Quiet Place - Horror thriller starring Emily Blunt and John Krasinski about a family struggling to survive in a post-apocalyptic world overrun by creatures who are drawn to sound.

Chappaquiddick - Jason Clarke stars as Ted Kennedy in this telling of the infamous car wreck scandal.

 

April 13

Rampage - Dwayne Johnson stars as a scientist battling giant mutated animals. Based on an old arcade video game.

Truth or Dare - Horror thriller about young people trapped in a cursed game of truth or dare.

 

April 20

I Feel Pretty - Amy Schumer stars in this comedy about a woman who suffers an injury that instills her with too much confidence. It's meant to be a satirical look at women's insecurities.

 

April 27

Avengers: Infinity War - Marvel comics team-up movie that's expected to be the biggest hit of the year.

 

Of course there are various other indies and foreign releases, but these are all of the wider release titles. If I've missed some, feel free to add to it.

Do you know of Michelle Pfeiffer's newest "Where Is Kyra" & it's wide release date yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, spence said:

Do you know of Michelle Pfeiffer's newest "Where Is Kyra" & it's wide release date yet?

That's scheduled for release this weekend, April 6. But it won't be a major wide release, as in, it won't be coming to my town. You'll have better luck in the Tampa area.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After a 22 month break, I finally went to the theater again. I saw Black Panther and thought it was terrific. Those with a distaste for superhero movies probably won't be swayed, but I thought it was well-written; gorgeous to look at, with vibrant costume and set designs; well acted by a very large cast; and very inventive in the way it melds traditional African archetypes into a science fiction milieu. The action scenes are also top-notch, with few of the CGI-overkill moments that plague so many superhero flicks. Chadwick Boseman makes for a great stoic hero in the lead role, and Michael B. Jordan brings some interesting touches to the main villain Killmonger. I was most impressed with the trio of leading ladies: Lupita N'yongo as Black Panther's love interest, Danai Gurira as the chief of the royal guard, and Letitia Wright as Black Panther's younger sister and tech expert. I liked Winston Duke as the antagonistic M'Baku, who in the comics would become Black Panther's chief nemesis. The groundwork is laid for what could be an entire series of Black Panther films, with a lot of unique story possibilities. If you're into this kind of movie, you've most likely already seen it. But if for some reason you hesitated like I did, you should see it on the big screen while you have the chance. Recommended.  (8/10)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2018 at 1:23 PM, LawrenceA said:

Willis will be 63 in March (Neeson is 65 and Ford is 75). Contrast that with Charles Bronson being 53 when he starred in the original Death Wish. That film made him a bigger star than ever before, which is ironic since it was intended to help segue Bronson from his earlier, more physical (and often shirtless) action roles into older, dramatic parts. It's highly unlikely this new take will be anywhere near the success of the original, although it would be interesting if they adhere to the ethos of that earlier film, in that the "hero" is an everyday guy driven to the breaking point. No secret kung fu expertise or machine guns in each hand while somersaulting over the bad guys, but an average man, angry and even a little scared, with a gun in his hand. Part of Willis' initial appeal in films like Die Hard was that he was more like an average slob dropped into an action movie scenario. He wasn't a ripped, muscular demi-god like Schwarzenegger or Stallone, instead he was a kind of soft looking guy in a dirty t-shirt and a receding hairline. 

The last time I saw Willis give a performance was in 16 Blocks in 2006. Ever since then he's just been cashing his paycheck. I once had a lot of regard for him as a performer.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

pathetic reimagining of the mighty thor who is supposed to have long blonde hair like a viking warrior.

Image result for the mighty thor

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us