Fedya

Rose Marie, 1923-2017

24 posts in this topic

Rose Marie, the child vaudeville star best known for her five years playing Sally Rogers on The Dick Van Dyke Show, has died aged 94.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

She definitely had an interesting life. A long career. 

Always remember her from INTERNATIONAL HOUSE (1933).

She joined Twitter a few months ago and was very proud of a new documentary about her career.

• Like 3

I loved Rose Marie on The Dick Van Dyke Show! Her Sally Rogers character was a good foil for Morey Amsterdam's Buddy Sorrell character and a nice contrast from Mary Tyler Moore's Laura Petrie.  While I enjoyed Sally's quips and self-deprecating humor regarding her inability to land a man, my favorite Sally moments were when she sang and performed.  

What I also loved about Sally is that while she was the reluctant bachelorette, and joked about not being able to land a man, I didn't get the sense that being a wife, mother and/or housewife was her ultimate goal.  I always got the sense that Sally really wanted to be in a romance and she was completely dedicated to her career as a writer on "The Alan Brady Show."  She was the career woman before MTM's groundbreaking show that debuted four years after the end of The Dick Van Dyke Show.  

RIP Rose Marie. 

• Like 3

Now Rose Marie's gone, too, following Mary Tyler Moore in the very same year.

How the memories come sweeping back now of one of the great television series of the '60s, in which they played played such vital roles.

012-the-dick-van-dyke-show-theredlist.jp

actors-dick-van-dyke-mary-tyler-moore-ro

From vaudeville to the nightclub circuit to the movies to radio to Vegas performer to immortality in television, Rose Marie was a show business trouper in the truest sense of the word. "Born in a trunk," an expression that could have been created for Baby Rose Marie, on stage from age three, soon belting out songs that had audiences amazed that so a mature sounding a voice could be that of such a young child.

And she knew or, at least, rubbed shoulders with them all, from Jolson to Sophie Tucker to Jimmy Durante, whom she loved. Speaking of which . . .

Thanks, Rose Marie, for your talent, your spirit, your never ending endurance and for a million laughs and smiles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, TomJH said:

Now Rose Marie's gone, too, following Mary Tyler Moore in the very same year.

How the memories come sweeping back now of one of the great television series of the '60s, in which they played played such vital roles.

These past few years have been so sad.  I grew up watching Nick at Nite (watched it for a good ten years before it evolved into a shell of its former self) and now all my favorite stars are leaving us.  Granted, I know it's inevitable, as these shows are now 40,50,60+ years old, but it's still very sad.  In the last few years, we've lost Mary Richards/Laura Petrie, Major Nelson, Lily Munster, Batman, Mrs. Brady, Alice Nelson, Carolyn Appleby, 3/4 Golden Girls, Mr. Cunningham, Joanie Cunningham, Sheriff Andy Taylor, Deputy Barney Fife, Gomer, Oliver Wendall Douglas, Famous Pig Lawyer... and now Sally Rogers. I'm just glad (I guess, not sure if "glad" is the right adjective) that Lucille Ball passed away before I was old enough to really know who she was (I was 4, almost 5 when she passed)... if she had passed after I discovered I Love Lucy, I would have been devastated. 

On Nick at Nite/TVLand (before it turned into "TVLand Original Productions"), it was fun seeing reunions of the casts of numerous old shows, The Brady Bunch, I Dream of Jeannie, The Andy Griffith ShowThe Dick Van Dyke Show... to name a few.  Each year, more and more pieces of my childhood are leaving the world.  Granted, I didn't see any of these shows in their first run, but watching Nick at Nite every night was one of my favorite activities in middle and high school.  Even though I Love Lucy (for example), was already 40+ years old by the time I discovered it, I was watching each episode for the first time.  This is how I felt with all "my shows" ('Lucy,' The Brady Bunch, The Dick Van Dyke Show, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie, The Munsters, Green Acres... to name a few).  I hold these shows near and dear to my heart and is a piece of nostalgia for me.  

I am just happy that MeTV (though I don't get the channel without an OTA tuner), Antenna TV, Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime, DVD, Blu Ray, etc. are keeping these shows alive for everyone to continue to enjoy for years to come.  I have managed to purchase almost all my favorite Nick at Nite shows on DVD/Blu Ray and these (aside from streaming select episodes) are the only way I have to "visit" my favorite characters. 

• Like 2

Wow. I'm saddened to hear this news... Rose Marie was always one of my favorite TV comediennes, and her role as Sally Rogers on "The Dick Van Dyke Show" was truly hilarious. I didn't know too much about her, besides the fact that she was a child singing star turned actress, but I always got the feeling that she loved what she did, and always gave it 110%. Here she is in a Betty Boop cartoon. She was 15 at this point. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Fedya said:

Rose Marie, the child vaudeville star best known for her five years playing Sally Rogers on The Dick Van Dyke Show, has died aged 94.

RIP

"Baby Rose Marie The Child Wonder" is on the 3 disc Jazz Singer set. The "hiss" flaw in the Vitaphone disc is what told the speed.

Rose Marie..always with that clip-on bow...don't forget, before she worked with Rob, she was enamored of Bob Cummings      Image result for rose marie bob cummings show

• Like 1

A documentary about her, WAIT FOR YOUR LAUGH, opened in New York last month.

The Vitaphone short BABY ROSE MARIE, THE CHILD WONDER was released in 1929, so she has an IMDb span of 88 years.

Even Lillian Gish cannot touch this.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hamradio said:

"Baby Rose Marie The Child Wonder" is on the 3 disc Jazz Singer set. The "hiss" flaw in the Vitaphone disc is what told the speed.

Only saw Baby Rose in her International House (1933) appearance, and was struck at how even at ten, she was singing in the exact same hip-swinging arms-out jazzy way Sally Rogers would on the DVDS.

• Like 1

Aw I knew she wouldn't be with us forever....but it's still an ache to hear she's gone.

When first getting WiFi on my TV, Baby Rose Marie was one of my first searches. I never tired of seeing rare performance clips, although never saw that "Sally Swing" with Betty Boop cartoon, thank you for posting that.

Rose Marie (did she ever have a last name?) was a favorite as Sally Rogers on TDVDS, playing the role as the needy independent woman. The humor she brought to that role reached me from a girl to an adult. I remember once when she sang on TDVDS, my Mother said, "She was originally a singer and her life faltered when her husband, a bandleader died." That got teenager me looking into her career and I was amazed to discover her early days performing as "Baby Rose Marie"

Through all those years, she always looked the same to me-same voice, same mannerisms...what a powerhouse of talent. And yes, what a trouper!
Rest in Peace & thanks for sharing your talent with us!

• Like 4

I thought she was great in "The Dick Van Dyke Show" and her role as a TV comedy writer on the show (in a time when 99% of woman's roles on TV were wives, mothers, teachers or nurses) was an inspiration to many a little girl.  The whole cast was wonderful from the leads to even folks with smaller roles like Mille & Jerry Helper.  Not to take anything away from Mary Tyler Moore but I always preferred the office scenes to the home scenes.  Sally, Buddy, Rob, Mel and Alan Brady always cracked me up. Carl Reiner is/was a genius.  The show still remains as funny today as it was all those years ago.  RIP Rose Marie.  

• Like 6

One of my favorite movies when I was a kid was TOP BANANA.  I didn't know who Rose was at that point, but when The Dick Van Dyke show premiered, I recognized her right off.  THEN her name became forever burned into my brain.

Always got a charge out of "Sally" and thus always enjoyed seeing Rose whenever she popped up on TV somewhere.

Rest in peace, Rose.  Angels also it seems, wear bows too. :)

Sepiatone

• Like 1

So sad to hear this news yesterday about Rose Marie. Thanks for all the wonderful clips about her.

I always loved, and still love, The Dick Van Dyke Show. So funny. Still funny.

• Like 1

Any word if she asked to be buried next to Herman Glimscher?

(...R.I.P. funny lady...always loved you on the Van Dyke show)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Any word if she asked to be buried next to Herman Glimscher?

(...R.I.P. funny lady...always loved you on the Van Dyke show)

Careful Dargo, look what happened when I cracked a joke.:(

1 minute ago, spence said:

I had thought she died a few yrs back?   OOPS

Yeah, I believe that's called the "Abe Vigoda Syndrome" now days, spence ol' boy.

2 minutes ago, hamradio said:

Careful Dargo, look what happened when I cracked a joke.:(

Yeah, I saw that, ham. ;)

BUT, as they say..."timing is everything".

(...and MY timing has of course always been impeccable) ;) 

• Haha 1

So sorry to hear about Rose Marie! Talk about a long career! I hadnt heard she'd died until I saw the year end retrospective of those who passed this year on NBC news before NYs. I figured she must have just died and she had. :(