spence

Your fav. character players???

38 posts in this topic

Yeah, Mantell was a good 'un.  Did a couple TWILIGHT ZONES too  And ANDERSON did a few also.  And showed up in several RIFLEMAN episodes as well. 

That "Zone" episode you mentioned with Anderson as the pilot was THE ODYSSEY OF FLIGHT 33. ;)

Sepiatone

38 minutes ago, CaveGirl said:

Albert Salmi and John Anderson are two of my favorites.

Johnny Carson said on 'The Tonight Show' that Albert Salmi was his favorite actor.

DANG!  I keep coming up with others AFTER I post the names of some I liked over the years......

BURT MUSTIN,  PERCY HELTON  and  MIKE MAZURKI  are three I always get a kick out of seeing too. :)

Sepiatone

For the women, I like to add Judith Anderson (she was brilliant as the cold Mrs. Danvers in REBECCA), Thelma Ritter (made any movie grand just by her appearance) and Fay Bainter (always reliable as well).

Great ladies and great actresses. 

• Like 3

Another favorite:  Nat Pendleton.

Interestingly, although Nat often played characters who weren't too bright (e.g., ambulance driver Joe Wayman in the Dr. Kildare/Dr. Gillespie series; strongman Sandow in The Great Ziegfeld; slightly smarter police detective John Guild in The Thin Man and Another Thin Man), in real life he went to Columbia University.  He was also a silver medal winner at the 1920 Olympics as part of the U.S. wrestling team.

Nat_Pendleton_in_Dr._Kildare_Goes_Home_trailer.jpg

• Like 1

Two of my favorites are:

John McGiver- he was the bald owl faced character in many movies and TV shows. His precise way of speaking often found him playing pompous snobs. He was in two of my favorite films of the 1960s-he played the ill fated father in law of assassin Laurence Harvey in "The Manchurian Candidate" and was the crazed religious fanatic who scares Jon Voight in "Midnight Cowboy"

Victor Buono- 300lb actor who was adept at both comedy and drama. He was the creepy piano player who gets involved with Bette Davis in "What Ever Happened To Baby Jane" and was disturbing as the mad killer of nurses in "The Strangler". He played many comical villains in TV shows like "Batman" and "The Wild Wild West"

• Like 2

Always liked McGiver too.  And add JOHN DEHNER  and PAUL FORD to my ever lengthening list. ;)

You KNOW I had to be delighted when the '60's short-lived TV show THE BAILEY'S OF BALBOA hit the airwaves!  :wub:

OH!  And don't LET me fail to mention FRED CLARK either!

Sepiatone

Hermione Gingold. She was fantastic as the Mayor's Wife (Eulalie Mackechnie Shinn) in The Music Man (1962). Never fails to make me chuckle. 

Here she is with Shirley Jones. 

Image result for hermione gingold music man

• Like 2

Just realized nobody's mentioned Jack Carson yet....

He was hilarious as the clueless keystone cop in ARSENIC AND OLD LACE, sleazy in MILDRED PIERCE, really sleazy and downright mean in the 1954 version of A STAR IS BORN, a bit greedy but also a bit pitiful in CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF.

Was he ever nominated for an Oscar? Surely he too deserves to be considered among the greatest supporting actors ever.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Just realized nobody's mentioned Jack Carson yet....

He was hilarious as the clueless keystone cop in ARSENIC AND OLD LACE, sleazy in MILDRED PIERCE, really sleazy and downright mean in the 1954 version of A STAR IS BORN, a bit greedy but also a bit pitiful in CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF.

Was he ever nominated for an Oscar? Surely he too deserves to be considered among the greatest supporting actors ever.

Wow, I forgot all about him! I do really enjoy him as the cop in Arsenic and Old Lace (one of my favorite movies of all time) who has written a play about his mother, Peaches LaTour. Cracks me up. 

• Like 1

I drudged this back up because when contemplating something else, it struck me that I left off my list ANOTHER one of my very favorites!

JAMES FINLAYSON 

image.png.5f0b14753796d5c31b4d9818e7678405.png

Couldn't get "permission" for a larger image, but still...

Can't get ENOUGH of that "eyebrow"! :D

Sepiatone

image.png

On 12/29/2017 at 3:24 PM, spence said:

OOPS, I neglected to include Frank Morgan-(l890-l949) he'd be my 4th fav character player

& many may not know he was one of the legendary Hollywoods Irish Mafia

*Tracy, *Cagney, Pat 0'Brien, Frank McHugh, Robert Armstrong, Lynn 0vermann-(I think?) Ralph Bellamy, Morgan & for some reason Boris Karloff

They used to gather every Tuesday

I totally get a kick out of any Robert Armstrong performance, hammy or otherwise! So glad you mentioned him, Spence.

• Like 1