Sign in to follow this  
Bethluvsfilms

Love Affair or An Affair to Remember?

35 posts in this topic

Just popped in LOVE AFFAIR and I must say I preferred it 100 times over to An AFFAIR TO REMEMBER.

Think the characters of SLEEPLESS IN SEATTLE were gushing over the wrong movie....LOVE AFFAIR is where it's at as far as I'm concerned, and I am usually more keen on Cary Grant than Charles Boyer. 

LOVE AFFAIR just won me over totally and completely. Boyer and Irene Dunne had a chemistry together that Grant and Deborah Kerr just couldn't match.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Just popped in LOVE AFFAIR and I must say I preferred it 100 times over to An AFFAIR TO REMEMBER.

Think the characters of SLEEPLESS IN SEATTLE were gushing over the wrong movie....LOVE AFFAIR is where it's at as far as I'm concerned, and I am usually more keen on Cary Grant than Charles Boyer. 

LOVE AFFAIR just won me over totally and completely. Boyer and Irene Dunne had a chemistry together that Grant and Deborah Kerr just couldn't match.

I agree.   Just much better chemistry between the stars in the 1939 version  (note there is also a Love Affair 1932 version with Bogart,  but that is based on a much different story.   I just saw this early Bogart for the first time last night on the Retro station).

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I absolutely agree with your take on this, Beth. After having caught the original version probably some twenty years ago now on TCM, I also came to this same conclusion. 

(...however, I think Nora Ephron probably used the remake as the plot contrivance in her film because the remake was and is the better remembered film to this day)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like to tell Nora a better remembered remake doesn't necessarily make it the better movie. 

But I do see your point. I doubt the younger audience at the time even knew of the existence of LOVE AFFAIR (as a matter of fact I wonder how many of them even heard of AN AFFAIR TO REMEMBER before SLEEPLESS was released in theaters).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I'd like to tell Nora a better remembered remake doesn't necessarily make it the better movie. 

But I do see your point. I doubt the younger audience at the time even knew of the existence of LOVE AFFAIR (as a matter of fact I wonder how many of them even heard of AN AFFAIR TO REMEMBER before SLEEPLESS was released in theaters).

Yeah, good point.

And while I hate to "bleed" another thread's premise into your own here, do you think it's at all possible that the reason more people MIGHT know of the remake than of the original is that....

(...well, here I go into that whole "people today just can't get into Black & White movies" thing again, huh!) ;)

LOL

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Yeah, good point.

And while I hate to "bleed" another thread's premise into your own here, do you think it's at all possible that the reason more people MIGHT know of the remake than of the original is that....

(...well, here I go into that whole "people today just can't get into Black & White movies" thing again, huh!) ;)

LOL

With a lot of people, sad to say, that is the case. My older sister falls into the 'don't like black&white movies' category, in fact she doesn't like classic movies period (exception being GONE WITH THE WIND, which was shot in glorious color).

To phrase what I said in the other thread, to me a movie's quality is more important to me than it's quantity. A great movie is a great movie whether it's in B&W or in color, just as a lousy movie will be a lousy movie either way as well.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now, here's a little trivia tidbit that might be of interest to the assembled here, and in regard to both of these films.

I was just thinking that the leads in both of these versions where some of the best and most famous actors and actresses of their time, and YET...well, you folks are probably way of me on this by now, aren't ya.

Yep, every one of 'em during their careers, Charles Boyer with a total of four nominations, Irene Dunne with five nominations, Cary Grant with two and Deborah Kerr with six, never won a competitive Oscar.

(...what a coincidence, isn't it)

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely LOVE AFFAIR. Many reasons but the one that comes most to mind is that Maria Ouspenskaya far outweighs Cathleen Nesbitt as the grandmother.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ray Faiola said:

Definitely LOVE AFFAIR. Many reasons but the one that comes most to mind is that Maria Ouspenskaya far outweighs Cathleen Nesbitt as the grandmother.

Good point, Ray.

This, and perhaps the thought that Boyer just seemed to be a little more able than Cary to whip up one's sympathy for being the "emotionally" hurt party near the end of the story. 

Oh, and perhaps the thought that Irene was also a little more able than Deborah to elicit sympathy for her character's "physical" hurt near the end of the story too.

(...if ya know what I mean)

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Save me a seat on the LOVE AFFAIR bus too.  Although I'd say WALTER CUNNINGHAM Jr. would like the other better because he LIKES syrup poured on everything. ;)

(got some of you scrambling for the "google", didn't I?)  :D

 

Sepiatone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Dargo said:

Now, here's a little trivia tidbit that might be of interest to the assembled here, and in regard to both of these films.

I was just thinking that the leads in both of these versions where some of the best and most famous actors and actresses of their time, and YET...well, you folks are probably way of me on this by now, aren't ya.

Yep, every one of 'em during their careers, Charles Boyer with a total of four nominations, Irene Dunne with five nominations, Cary Grant with two and Deborah Kerr with six, never won a competitive Oscar.

(...what a coincidence, isn't it)

You can include the stars of the 1994 version as well. Neither Warren Beatty nor Annette Bening have won competitive acting Oscars, although Warren has won for directing and a lifetime achievement award.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't seen the original Love Affair with Charles Boyer and Irene Dunne, so I cannot choose between the two films in the OP's original inquiry.  However, I have seen An Affair to Remember multiple times.  The only part of the remake that I absolutely cannot stand is the part where the children sing.  That song is so bad and it's irritating.  I always fast forward through that scene if I can.  If not, that's the perfect time for a bathroom and/or snack break.  

Do children sing an annoying song in the original film? Seeing that Boyer is SOTM next month, I will imagine that Love Affair has been scheduled.  I want to see this film and will need to prepare myself for an annoying song if needed.  Lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I haven't seen the original Love Affair with Charles Boyer and Irene Dunne, so I cannot choose between the two films in the OP's original inquiry.  However, I have seen An Affair to Remember multiple times.  The only part of the remake that I absolutely cannot stand is the part where the children sing.  That song is so bad and it's irritating.  I always fast forward through that scene if I can.  If not, that's the perfect time for a bathroom and/or snack break.  

Do children sing an annoying song in the original film? Seeing that Boyer is SOTM next month, I will imagine that Love Affair has been scheduled.  I want to see this film and will need to prepare myself for an annoying song if needed.  Lol. 

Actually speedy, I remember Irene does sing a little with some little tykes in the original '39 version too...

love+affair+17.jpg

However and as I recall, and just as so much within the original version and as compared to the remake was, it was handled a little less "schmaltzy" in the earlier version than in the later version, and so maybe you'll be able to better handle this. ;)

(...and besides, Irene was such a good singer, there's never a bad time to hear her warble a tune or two, ya know)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And one more thing, Speedy.

After you've caught the original, let me know if you find yourself feeling the same here.

And that being, that while Grant and Kerr will have you kind'a sort'a feeling sorry for their characters' ill-fated lost and found love, somehow Boyer and Dunne will almost break your heart in their version.

(...I've also always thought the higher production values of McCarey's remake somehow detract and distract one's attention from this simple little love story)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I haven't seen the original Love Affair with Charles Boyer and Irene Dunne, so I cannot choose between the two films in the OP's original inquiry.  However, I have seen An Affair to Remember multiple times.  The only part of the remake that I absolutely cannot stand is the part where the children sing.  That song is so bad and it's irritating.  I always fast forward through that scene if I can.  If not, that's the perfect time for a bathroom and/or snack break.  

Do children sing an annoying song in the original film? Seeing that Boyer is SOTM next month, I will imagine that Love Affair has been scheduled.  I want to see this film and will need to prepare myself for an annoying song if needed.  Lol. 

Dargo is correct. Irene sings with that trio of little girls earlier on in the film, and then later with a chorus of young grade school age kids. They sound a lot better than the ones in Affair to Remember, trust me. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would have to say that I agree with everyone saying that Charles Boyer and Irene Dunne had more chemistry together. This is true. I wonder what it would have been like to have Cary Grant and Irene Dunne paired together in the original 1939 version. They had such great chemistry in 1937's The Awful Truth. However, that is a comedy, and Love Affair is a romance. Boyer probably had more of a box office draw as a romantic lead than ol' Archie Leach did at the time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While i can't remember a thread being devoted to it before, this question has surfaced several times over my nearly 10 years on these boards, and I can't remember a single person ever saying they preferred the later, color version. So, when I saw this was a thread title, I thought to myself, "I will really be fascinated if a single person posts to say they prefer the later version!" I would just like to see one person offer a counter viewpoint. But so far it hasn't happened.

Honestly, while I'm sure I've seen Love Affair, I'm really struggling to remember anything about it. I've definitely seen An Affair to Remember more often and more recently. Heck, I just saw it as one of the TCM/Fathom Event screenings in the theater earlier this year. it looks like Love Affair is going to be the very first movie TCM shows as part of their January Charles Boyer SOTM spotlight at 8 pm ET next Thursday night. So, I'm planning to watch it then and try to ascertain why everybody prefers it over the Cary Grant version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I prefer Love Affair. The scene I find most striking is Irene Dunne singing Plaisir D'Amour with Boyer's grandmother.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NickAndNora34 said:

Dargo is correct. Irene sings with that trio of little girls earlier on in the film, and then later with a chorus of young grade school age kids. They sound a lot better than the ones in Affair to Remember, trust me. 

That's good to hear.  Those kids are just horrendous. It's as if there was a whole choir of Ritchies (The Dick Van Dyke Show). 

 

Love Affair looks like it's scheduled to air on January 4. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Um ... yes.

I do have to say Irene Dunne's singing usually makes me cringe, all that super-operatic stuff. If that's how she sings in Love Affair, I'm probably not going to be crazy about it, but I won't let it torpedo the rest of the movie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

While i can't remember a thread being devoted to it before, this question has surfaced several times over my nearly 10 years on these boards, and I can't remember a single person ever saying they preferred the later, color version. So, when I saw this was a thread title, I thought to myself, "I will really be fascinated if a single person posts to say they prefer the later version!" I would just like to see one person offer a counter viewpoint. But so far it hasn't happened.

Honestly, while I'm sure I've seen Love Affair, I'm really struggling to remember anything about it. I've definitely seen An Affair to Remember more often and more recently. Heck, I just saw it as one of the TCM/Fathom Event screenings in the theater earlier this year. it looks like Love Affair is going to be the very first movie TCM shows as part of their January Charles Boyer SOTM spotlight at 8 pm ET next Thursday night. So, I'm planning to watch it then and try to ascertain why everybody prefers it over the Cary Grant version.

The value of Love Affair (1939) rests in the scenes with Dunne and Boyer together, in the way they deliver their dialog.  It has an off-hand, informal tone.  More like you are watching two people having a conversation, rather than actors reciting lines.  It's a quality rare in movies.  You run into it in early sound films--Waterloo Bridge (1931), for example.  Curiously, the enforcement of the Production Code in '34 seems to have largely eliminated it from movies, along with the sex and violence.  You don't see it much again (except in works by Hawkes) until the end of the Code and the infusion of Cinema Verité elements in the sixties.  

Much of the rest of the movie is for me pretty tedious going, if not outright awful, with those saccharine children. You can see McCarey trying to recreate the tone of the dialog with Grant and Kerr, but they don't manage to pull it off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The singing is better in LOVE AFFAIR because "Wishing" is sung by the Mitchell Boys' Choir, headed by the late Robert Mitchell. Mitchell's boys had an amazing, ethereal sound and they appeared in quite a few pictures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, NickAndNora34 said:

I would have to say that I agree with everyone saying that Charles Boyer and Irene Dunne had more chemistry together. This is true. I wonder what it would have been like to have Cary Grant and Irene Dunne paired together in the original 1939 version. They had such great chemistry in 1937's The Awful Truth. However, that is a comedy, and Love Affair is a romance. Boyer probably had more of a box office draw as a romantic lead than ol' Archie Leach did at the time. 

By the way, NickandNora, Cary and Irene do just fine in the romance department in Penny Serenade. The second half gets quite maudlin, but the first half when they're still in the romance phase I enjoy quite a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us