Sign in to follow this  
Bethluvsfilms

Love Affair or An Affair to Remember?

35 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

By the way, NickandNora, Cary and Irene do just fine in the romance department in Penny Serenade. The second half gets quite maudlin, but the first half when they're still in the romance phase I enjoy quite a lot.

I forgot about Penny Serenade! I haven't seen it, but I am familiar with the overall premise of the film. I'll give it a try one of these days. 

There's no doubt that Cary and Irene had the chemistry in all the films they did together, so maybe Cary would have worked just fine in Love Affair...but on the other hand, I thought that Boyer made an equally wonderful screen partner for her as well, so I don't think I'd switch him for Cary (as much as I love Cary) for anything.

And here's another aspect to all this which some of you may or may not agree with me about.

As much as I like Deborah Kerr in so many other films, in THIS one I always felt she came across a bit "prissy" for want of a better adjective here, and whereas Dunne just seemed to come across a little more down-to-earth and so a little more likable than did Kerr.

And thus, making it JUST a little easier to root for and sympathize with Dunne than for Kerr playing the same character.

(...so, whaddaya think here, folks...am I onto somethin' here?) 

• Like 2

I agree that Dunne had that warmer, down-to-earth quality that Kerr lacked (at least in this movie she did, though I also like her in other films).

Maybe Kerr didn't want to duplicate that, and while I can appreciate that, it doesn't change my opinion that Dunne was more sympathetic and likable in the better movie.

• Like 1

LOVE AFFAIR. It shouldnt have been remade (a better fit for its time)

On 12/31/2017 at 5:17 PM, NickAndNora34 said:

I forgot about Penny Serenade! I haven't seen it, but I am familiar with the overall premise of the film. I'll give it a try one of these days. 

I think it was just on in the overnight hours. Love Affair is on this Thurs night. SO glad Boyer is FINALLY getting his SOTM!!!

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

LOVE AFFAIR. It shouldnt have been remade (a better fit for its time)

From an artistic POV I agree,  but An Affair to Remember made over 1.7 million dollars and was a fairly 'easy' film to make (McCarey was the director for both films and the original screenplay was used mainly intact),  so from that POV it was successful and I"m sure the studio was glad it was made.

Now that I've seen Love Affair, I can offer an opinion on this inquiry:

I, too, prefer Love Affair. 

First off, when the three girls sing the song in Love Affair, I didn't mind it.  It wasn't bad.  However, I disliked when all the kids were singing.  The group of children in the 1939 version were just as annoying as the group of children in the 1957 remake.  I can say that the song the 1939 children sing is better than the song that the 1957 children warbled out. 

I liked the pairing of Charles Boyer and Irene Dunne.  I thought they had great chemistry and were adept at portraying a blossoming romance.  I really felt like I was watching two people falling in love.

Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr made an okay couple, but Kerr seems a little too prissy to allow herself to get involved with another man when she's (and he's) engaged to another person.  Kerr, to me, seems a little uptight in her movies, except in From Here to Eternity.  I could see Grant paired up with Irene Dunne in the remake. Or even someone like Ingrid Bergman.  Anyway, I think Grant brought his usual persona to the remake and I felt that it worked well for the role.  He needed a less frigid leading lady. 

With the grandmother scene, both scenes were sweet, but I did like Maria Ouspenskaya in Love Affair better than Cathleen Nesbit in An Affair to Remember.  Maybe because Ouspenskaya seemed a little sassier? Or maybe because her scenes with Boyer and Dunne were more heartwarming than the ones with Nesbit, Grant and Kerr? 

I stated that I preferred Love Affair, but that's not to say that I disliked An Affair to Remember.  In many ways, they're the same film, but in many ways, they aren't.

In Love Affair, while Boyer and Dunne are in love, I get the sense that had Boyer not found out the truth about why Dunne didn't meet him at the top of The Empire State Building, and didn't meet her on Christmas and discovered that she was the wheelchair bound woman who purchased his painting, then he would have been able to carry on with his life and probably fall in love with another woman.  Dunne's character will have a harder go at it, but it seemed that she was still on relatively good terms with her ex-fiance.  I'm sure that she would rebound too. Boyer and Dunne's relationship almost seems like more of a fling, but a fling that could work out long term if everything comes together. 

In An Affair to Remember, Cary Grant's character, while having the facade of being cool and sophisticated, has this underlying feeling of desperation to find the love of his life.  He's engaged to a wealthy heiress, but like in many of these relationships in classic film, I get the sense that their relationship is rather shallow and is based on status rather than an intense love for one another.  Kerr's character, is engaged to a wealthy man who wants to groom Kerr into being a sophisticated woman, who is interested in the arts, music and being a charming hostess.  Her previous vocation was as a nightclub singer, and her now fiance took her away from that world and stashed her in a fancy penthouse.  This relationship also seems rather shallow as it doesn't seem that Kerr's character's true desires in life are being fulfilled.  Both Grant and Kerr have all the material objects they could want, but neither of their respective relationships fulfill them in the way that their rendezvous on the cruise ship does.

Grant and Kerr's relationship seems more bittersweet and more tragic in the sense that if they don't reunite after the ill-fated Empire State Building meeting, then it'd be very sad if they were never able to live their lives together. 

I liked both Love Affair and An Affair to Remember, but given the choice between the two, I would watch Love Affair

I love a great romantic film.  A true romantic film that doesn't follow the lame predictable Hallmark tropes.  A true, intense, romantic film. 

• Like 1

I think I prefer "Love Affair" to "Affair to Remember". One thing that has always bugged me about Affair was how nosey all of the passengers were on the boat about Grant and Kerr being seen together. What is the big deal anyway? Cary Grant's character is renowned for being a playboy! How did all of these post WWII nouveau riche (and nouveau middle class) passengers think he got that reputation?

24 minutes ago, calvinnme said:

I think I prefer "Love Affair" to "Affair to Remember". One thing that has always bugged me about Affair was how nosey all of the passengers were on the boat about Grant and Kerr being seen together. What is the big deal anyway? Cary Grant's character is renowned for being a playboy! How did all of these post WWII nouveau riche (and nouveau middle class) passengers think he got that reputation?

I agree.  I also don't like how all the passengers laugh at them in the restaurant.