Sign in to follow this  
NipkowDisc

chow time you hungry hounds!

8 posts in this topic

walter brennan says hungry hounds in red river.:)

dick proenneke liked to chomp on smoked salmon.

Image result for alone in the wilderness

boy am I gonna eat good tonite. just made myself 3 hearty delicious tunafish on rye sandwiches.
whatta meal! ain't nuthin' else like it. tunafish on rye sandwiches with plenty of coke.

"you can't beat that." -dick proenneke

...oh and I use the crust. I love crust. trained myself to like it when I was a kid.
rye crust is better than white crust because it's dryer.

:D

my secret is a few spritzes of ground black pepper for that extra bit of taste.

10 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

3 hearty delicious tunafish on rye

After such an impassioned thread title, we get this ?

my secret is a few spritzes of ground black pepper for that extra bit of taste.

Some secret. Putting pepper on food, who knew?

with plenty of coke.

What a scintillating idea !

:rolleyes:

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

...:)

dick proenneke liked to chomp on smoked salmon.

Image result for alone in the wilderness

"you can't beat that." -dick proenneke

:D

I hope that you are consuming the lower in mercury content "light chunk" tuna, as opposed to the 3x higher mercury content in "solid white" i.e. albacore (this was discussed in length in that other thread, remember?).
It would be wiser still to follow Proenneke's advice and consume salmon instead! (more benefit, including Omega 3's, and less deleterious).
Also, I hope you are aware that frequent and prolonged consumption of high fructose & sucrose, carbonated beverages will rot your teeth. The oral image is almost indistinguishable to that of one with "meth mouth." (from :D to :lol:)
Of course if you have no teeth then it is no longer a dental concern, but remains one of major contribution to numerous other health issues (i.e. type 2 diabetes, etc.)

I began using pepper in place of salt decades ago, that is a good habit! (most processed foods are overloaded with sodium anyway. Only time I use salt at all is when making something from scratch that requires it.)

Likewise, trained myself to appreciate bread-crust when I was a kid. Prefer "homemade" bread. When I do buy it its always whole grain, without high fructose corn syrup. Orowheat is a good brand, and almost universally available. Brands like Ezekiel 2.14 are also becoming more popular (they are found in the frozen specialty sections in some grocery stores).

BTW, Dick Proenneke was a "kindred spirit" that inspired me to try the "bush life" in Alaska many, many years ago.

If you are aware of him (his book/s and video) then perhaps we have more in common with each other than I might otherwise have suspected :o ... scary isn't it???
(aside from the mutual admiration of movies, which is expected in a TCM board).
In the north country I associated with professional guides and we all used high quality optics. I carried a very good quality compact Bushnell bino everywhere, and used an exceptional 60x Redfield spotting scope that also allowed me to mount a camera. My rifles sported Leupold's (fixed and variables).
But I never would have suspected that anyone would write about such things here! (not even in an "off-topic" forum...  and certainly to not such a great length and repetition as yourself).:unsure:

2 hours ago, Stephan55 said:

I hope that you are consuming the lower in mercury content "light chunk" tuna, as opposed to the 3x higher mercury content in "solid white" i.e. albacore (this was discussed in length in that other thread, remember?).
It would be wiser still to follow Proenneke's advice and consume salmon instead! (more benefit, including Omega 3's, and less deleterious).
Also, I hope you are aware that frequent and prolonged consumption of high fructose & sucrose, carbonated beverages will rot your teeth. The oral image is almost indistinguishable to that of one with "meth mouth." (from :D to :lol:)
Of course if you have no teeth then it is no longer a dental concern, but remains one of major contribution to numerous other health issues (i.e. type 2 diabetes, etc.)

I began using pepper in place of salt decades ago, that is a good habit! (most processed foods are overloaded with sodium anyway. Only time I use salt at all is when making something from scratch that requires it.)

Likewise, trained myself to appreciate bread-crust when I was a kid. Prefer "homemade" bread. When I do buy it its always whole grain, without high fructose corn syrup. Orowheat is a good brand, and almost universally available. Brands like Ezekiel 2.14 are also becoming more popular (they are found in the frozen specialty sections in some grocery stores).

BTW, Dick Proenneke was a "kindred spirit" that inspired me to try the "bush life" in Alaska many, many years ago.

If you are aware of him (his book/s and video) then perhaps we have more in common with each other than I might otherwise have suspected :o ... scary isn't it???
(aside from the mutual admiration of movies, which is expected in a TCM board).
In the north country I associated with professional guides and we all used high quality optics. I carried a very good quality compact Bushnell bino everywhere, and used an exceptional 60x Redfield spotting scope that also allowed me to mount a camera. My rifles sported Leupold's (fixed and variables).
But I never would have suspected that anyone would write about such things here! (not even in an "off-topic" forum...  and certainly to not such a great length and repetition as yourself).:unsure:

Salmon is a good suggestion. It is low in carbohydrates and is also good for the skin and hair. Never cared for tuna and the high level of mercury certainly can't be good for you. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

Salmon is a good suggestion. It is low in carbohydrates and is also good for the skin and hair. Never cared for tuna and the high level of mercury certainly can't be good for you. 

Salmon is a good anti-inflammatory for those with arthritis, etc.  

• Like 1

I've never liked salmon, whatever its health properties. And if eating it

causes you to wind up looking like that guy, that's another reason to

stay away. I'm just finishing up my Christmas goody package with a

chocolate truffle cake with 115% of saturated fat per serving. But on

the bright side, only 2% of sodium. And I just eat it one time a year.

I'm just one of many who enjoy dick proenneke's cabin-building classic on PBS. it's engrossing watching the man build his own cabin. you gotta admire a guy who would harvest his own blueberries and make his own sourdough pancakes.

well...last nite I ate my last two tunafish sandwiches after starting out with two four packs of bumble bee.

tonite it's back to satisfying provolone sub sandwiches...

of my teeth I ain't sayin'.:lol:

Image result for how the grinch stole christmas 1966

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

tonite it's back to satisfying provolone sub sandwiches...

Again !!!

If you're going to give us a play-by-play of your absorption, can you least make it a little interesting. Geez, provolone, tunafish. Can't you have a mac and cheese once in awhile. Or how about canned mackerel with hot mustard served on a delicious slice of Wonder Bread.  

• Haha 1