Sign in to follow this  
jaragon

Gay Books That Should Be Movies

22 posts in this topic

Which gay theme book- fiction or non fiction do you think would make a great gay theme movie?  We are still waiting for " The Front Runner" which should have been made by Paul Newman as the coach who falls in love with Jan Michael Vincent as the runner.  Now that's a love scene I would have payed to see...:wub:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great idea for a thread.

I'd immediately choose the rest of Highsmith's Ripliad. Only the first one has been filmed:

THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY (as PURPLE NOON and also as THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY)

RIPLEY UNDER GROUND

RIPLEY'S GAME

THE BOY WHO FOLLOWED RIPLEY

RIPLEY UNDER WATER

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Great idea for a thread.

I'd immediately choose the rest of Highsmith's Ripliad. Only the first one has been filmed:

THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY (as PURPLE NOON and also as THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY)

RIPLEY UNDER GROUND

RIPLEY'S GAME

THE BOY WHO FOLLOWED RIPLEY

RIPLEY UNDER WATER

In fact, there are several adaptations of other Ripley books:

The American Friend (1977) based on Ripley's Game, with Dennis Hopper as Ripley.

Ripley's Game (2002) with John Malkovich as Ripley

Ripley Under Ground (2005) with Barry Pepper as Ripley.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

In fact, there are several adaptations of other Ripley books:

The American Friend (1977) based on Ripley's Game, with Dennis Hopper as Ripley.

Ripley's Game (2002) with John Malkovich as Ripley

Ripley Under Ground (2005) with Barry Pepper as Ripley.

Thanks for the correction Larry. I believe RIPLEY UNDER WATER (the last one) refers back to RIPLEY UNDER GROUND and the first novel. So those three would make a perfect trilogy.

THE BOY WHO FOLLOWED RIPLEY is the one that interests me most. I very much like the idea there is a young male killer in awe of his reputation that seeks him out. I'd love to see it turned into a movie. There are also some scenes in the book about the gay culture in Berlin that would be fascinating to see recreated on camera (Ripley dresses in drag).

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like to see a screen adaptation of "The Persian Boy" by Mary Renault.

It dealt with the years-long relationship of Alexander the Great and his attendant/lover, Bagoas

The novel is a very rich historical epic.

Bagoas understood Alexander more deeply than his wives or his generals.

But, given the box-office failure of Oliver Stone's "Alexander", I'll probably wait in vain for this one.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, so many films that were never released are available on DVD.

So, is "Ripley Under Ground" with Barry Pepper available?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, rayban said:

Also, so many films that were never released are available on DVD.

So, is "Ripley Under Ground" with Barry Pepper available?

From what I can tell, there's only a Dutch DVD available. I've never seen the film, but would like to. With a supporting cast including Willem Dafoe, Tom Wilkinson, Alan Cumming, and Claire Forlani, I'd like to see it just for the people involved.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

From what I can tell, there's only a Dutch DVD available. I've never seen the film, but would like to. With a supporting cast including Willem Dafoe, Tom Wilkinson, Alan Cumming, and Claire Forlani, I'd like to see it just for the people involved.

Yes, I'd like to see it, too.

Barry Pepper should have been perfect casting for Tom Ripley.

image-w856.jpg?1445948857

The trailer (in German) -

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

David Gerrorld's  "The Man Who Folded Himself" a science fiction time travel story

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This may seem like a digression, but I'm actually serious. I think Myron, Gore Vidal's follow-up to Myra Breckinridge, would make a good movie. CGI would now make it possible to create the environment of living inside a movie, which is the primary conceit of the book. Myron (post-accident Myra from the previous book) lives with Mary Ann in the San Fernando Valley where they run a Chinese (??) catering service. While watching a late night TV showing of Siren of Babylon starring Maria Montez, a wonderfully appropriate Vidal creation, he's unexpectedly sucked into the movie and becomes part of an ex-patriot community of similar abductees who live on the outskirts of the action. (The further you get from the actual filming, the more "normal" it becomes, though there are still disturbances as dissolves and scene changes, etc. happen in the movie.) As Myron tries to get his footing in his new reality, Myra begins a renewed assault on his consciousness, so that Myra takes over the body for longer stretches of time.

Myra's mission ("I alone can save the world."....Sound familiar?) is to create a new category of "sterile fun-loving Amazons" to reduce world population and the attendant problems of poverty and starvation. With the help of a new associate, gay hairdresser "Maude" (Vidal didn't reach very far into his box of stereotypes for that one.), Myra renews her attempt, familiar to readers of the previous book, to realign the sexes and thus achieve world peace. Frankly, Myra is as much of a nutjob as ever, but personally I think it was Vidal's strategy to highlight a more reasonable path in counterpoint to Myra's obsessive overreach.

A perhaps insurmountable problem in the present political and cultural climate would be Myra's casual penchant for sexual assault on non-consensual males. Memorably, she violated Randy in the previous book and she similarly targets another guy in Myron, in the hope of facilitating his transformation into the aforementioned Amazon. Admittedly, it's hard to simply chalk this up to Vidal's delight in outrage and it would probably be a barrier to a film being made on the scale it would need to be. Still, I love to envision what today's filmmakers could do to create the world inside Siren of Babylon.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, DougieB said:

This may seem like a digression, but I'm actually serious. I think Myron, Gore Vidal's follow-up to Myra Breckinridge, would make a good movie. CGI would now make it possible to create the environment of living inside a movie, which is the primary conceit of the book. Myron (post-accident Myra from the previous book) lives with Mary Ann in the San Fernando Valley where they run a Chinese (??) catering service. While watching a late night TV showing of Siren of Babylon starring Maria Montez, a wonderfully appropriate Vidal creation, he's unexpectedly sucked into the movie and becomes part of an ex-patriot community of similar abductees who live on the outskirts of the action. (The further you get from the actual filming, the more "normal" it becomes, though there are still disturbances as dissolves and scene changes, etc. happen in the movie.) As Myron tries to get his footing in his new reality, Myra begins a renewed assault on his consciousness, so that Myra takes over the body for longer stretches of time.

Myra's mission ("I alone can save the world."....Sound familiar?) is to create a new category of "sterile fun-loving Amazons" to reduce world population and the attendant problems of poverty and starvation. With the help of a new associate, gay hairdresser "Maude" (Vidal didn't reach very far into his box of stereotypes for that one.), Myra renews her attempt, familiar to readers of the previous book, to realign the sexes and thus achieve world peace. Frankly, Myra is as much of a nutjob as ever, but personally I think it was Vidal's strategy to highlight a more reasonable path in counterpoint to Myra's obsessive overreach.

A perhaps insurmountable problem in the present political and cultural climate would be Myra's casual penchant for sexual assault on non-consensual males. Memorably, she violated Randy in the previous book and she similarly targets another guy in Myron, in the hope of facilitating his transformation into the aforementioned Amazon. Admittedly, it's hard to simply chalk this up to Vidal's delight in outrage and it would probably be a barrier to a film being made on the scale it would need to be. Still, I love to envision what today's filmmakers could do to create the world inside Siren of Babylon.

Interesting concept - I will have to read the book

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gore Vidal's - " The City and The Pillar"  Jim the All American boy falls in love with Bob his All American jock best friend.  Matt Damon would have been perfect for Jim but I'm sure we can find two young unknown actors for the leads .https://youtu.be/cyEwqVnXGU0

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, jaragon said:

Gore Vidal's - " The City and The Pillar"  Jim the All American boy falls in love with Bob his All American jock best friend.  Matt Damon would have been perfect for Jim but I'm sure we can find two young unknown actors for the leads .https://youtu.be/cyEwqVnXGU0

In terms of "filmable" Gore Vidal, this is probably a much better choice. Now that you mention it, it's kind of surprising that it hasn't been done. Hollywood pretty much flubbed the gay content in The Best Man, but all these years later I'm sure The City and the Pillar could be done in a relatively straightforward way.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

" The City and The Pillar" could make a good film with the right director and script.  It probably has not been adapted because of the subject matter-but if "Call Me By Your Name" is a success I imagine somebody might go for it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like to see a really good version of "Myra Breckinridge".

The first film version was a disaster.

653.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our Lady of the Flowers by Jean Genet. When I was about 14, I was visiting my aunt and uncle and found this book on the shelf in the guest bedroom. I'll never forget the thrill of reading it. What a movie it would make!

Notre_Dame_des_Fleurs.jpg

12958490.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, rayban said:

I'd like to see a really good version of "Myra Breckinridge".

The first film version was a disaster.

653.jpg

I really don't see this happening unless someone decides to make a musical out of it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Clive Barker's "Coldheart Canyon"- A Hollywood Ghost story. 

"Sunset Blvd" meets "The Haunting" in this horror tale about a Tom Cruise like actor who while recovering from plastic surgery hides out at a silent era mansion haunted by Hollywood phantoms who engage in all sort of kinky sex both straight and gay.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Michael Nava has written a series of mystery novels featuring Henry Rios a gay Latino criminal defense attorney who solves crimes by doing things his way.  The novels would make great modern film noir with a gay twist. Latino male gay image are almost non existent in film or tv - Rios is a great character.  Raul Castillo would make a perfect Rioshttps://youtu.be/TnWa28GVSZI

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The City and the Pillar reminded me of a more recent book, Fellow Travellers (2004) by Thomas Mellen, which is set in the McCarthy-dominated early 1950's. McCarthy (probably closeted himself) was the propelling force behind both the "red scare" and the "pink scare", the targeting of homosexuals working in government. The story concerns a young college graduate who goes to work for a somewhat older guy in the State Department and begins an affair with him. It isn't just the political climate which dooms the relationship; the older man isn't fully invested in any of his relationships. The book is an earlier example of how fear-mongering without a lot of restraints can affect the functioning of our society and particularly of our government. A movie of the book could be a useful reminder of how far wrong things can go and how hard it can be to right the ship of state when it flounders.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/7/2018 at 8:40 AM, DougieB said:

The City and the Pillar reminded me of a more recent book, Fellow Travellers (2004) by Thomas Mellen, which is set in the McCarthy-dominated early 1950's. McCarthy (probably closeted himself) was the propelling force behind both the "red scare" and the "pink scare", the targeting of homosexuals working in government. The story concerns a young college graduate who goes to work for a somewhat older guy in the State Department and begins an affair with him. It isn't just the political climate which dooms the relationship; the older man isn't fully invested in any of his relationships. The book is an earlier example of how fear-mongering without a lot of restraints can affect the functioning of our society and particularly of our government. A movie of the book could be a useful reminder of how far wrong things can go and how hard it can be to right the ship of state when it flounders.

It was made into an opera

 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Conversations with my Elders" by Boze  Hadleigh. This must read books is a collection of interviews with famous gay movie icons- Visconti,Cukor, Beaton, Rock Hudson and the fascinating Sal Mineo.  I read that they were going to turn this into a play- a movie could be trickier but it could work as tv series

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us