Sign in to follow this  
calvinnme

I want to identify 40s western in which a woman shoots her brother in law

6 posts in this topic

I believe that the woman is a saloon keeper and she is actively looking for her sister. The man is a preacher and is always calling on the saloon owning woman to repent. I can't remember why she eventually shoots the preacher, but afterwards she learns he is married to the sister for whom she has been searching. I've asked this question before on this forum, but nobody ever answered the original question. Back in the days before paid programming, when TV stations would air westerns in the afternoons and on weekends, I saw this one several times. But it has seemingly disappeared off of the face of the earth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

No, that isn't it. It was almost certainly made later than 1935 and the owner of the gambing house/saloon was a woman, not a man. The two leads are basically the male preacher and female saloonkeeper. I think that he knows they are related through his wife, but I know that she does not until AFTER she shoots him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 12/31/2017 at 10:08 AM, Calvinnme said:

I believe that the woman is a saloon keeper and she is actively looking for her sister. The man is a preacher and is always calling on the saloon owning woman to repent. I can't remember why she eventually shoots the preacher, but afterwards she learns he is married to the sister for whom she has been searching. I've asked this question before on this forum, but nobody ever answered the original question. Back in the days before paid programming, when TV stations would air westerns in the afternoons and on weekends, I saw this one several times. But it has seemingly disappeared off of the face of the earth.

Calvinnme- Check this film out. Although the description is slightly different,  Hellfire a 1949 Republic film has some of the plot points you've mentioned. There's a preacher, there's a woman looking for her sister.she's a singer/dancer in a saloon. Read the whole description on TCM's database, be patient at first it may not sound like the film but as you read you might recognize it. (hope so)

*Then Google -  The Horn Spot: Film Review: Hellfire (1949)  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/2/2018 at 12:14 PM, lavenderblue19 said:

On 12/31/2017 at 10:08 AM, Calvinnme said:

I believe that the woman is a saloon keeper and she is actively looking for her sister. The man is a preacher and is always calling on the saloon owning woman to repent. I can't remember why she eventually shoots the preacher, but afterwards she learns he is married to the sister for whom she has been searching. I've asked this question before on this forum, but nobody ever answered the original question. Back in the days before paid programming, when TV stations would air westerns in the afternoons and on weekends, I saw this one several times. But it has seemingly disappeared off of the face of the earth.

Calvinnme- Check this film out. Although the description is slightly different,  Hellfire a 1949 Republic film has some of the plot points you've mentioned. There's a preacher, there's a woman looking for her sister.she's a singer/dancer in a saloon. Read the whole description on TCM's database, be patient at first it may not sound like the film but as you read you might recognize it. (hope so)

*Then Google -  The Horn Spot: Film Review: Hellfire (1949)  

Thanks so much! This IS the film. I could vaguely remember the female outlaw's appearance but Marie Windsor is definitely the actress! Mystery solved. Now why isn't this thing on DVD or streaming or youtube or something??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, calvinnme said:

Thanks so much! This IS the film. I could vaguely remember the female outlaw's appearance but Marie Windsor is definitely the actress! Mystery solved. Now why isn't this thing on DVD or streaming or youtube or something??

You're Very Welcome Calvinnme ;) Glad the mystery is solved and I could help you out. I knew I had seen HELLFIRE years ago on TV. I don't know if ENCORE WESTERNS is still a viable channel but if it is you might want to try emailing them with a request to show the film. Many times over the years I've requested films on TCM's SUGGEST A MOVIE. I must have requested SUDDEN FEAR and JOHNNY GUITAR at least 20 times. They both finally showed up on TCM. I hope HELLFIRE finally shows up on TV, good luck :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us