TheCid

2018 Elections

632 posts in this topic

https://politics.theonion.com/georgia-election-worker-assures-black-man-ballot-scanne-1830266358

Georgia Election Worker Assures Black Man Ballot Scanner Supposed To Sound Like Shredder

LAWRENCEVILLE, GA—Insisting that the machine was operating exactly as intended, Georgia election worker Mitchell Hamlin reportedly assured a black man on Tuesday that the ballot scanner was supposed to sound like a shredder. “Don’t you worry, it’s designed to sound like it’s ripping your ballot into thousands of tiny pieces,” the election worker informed the middle-aged African American resident, adding that it was merely a coincidence that several white voters in front of him had been directed to insert their ballots into a different scanner. “You should absolutely be hearing a constant whirring and shredding sound—that’s the machine’s way of telling you that your vote counts. And that bucket below where the ballot scanner is dropping strips of paper? That’s simply the machine producing a receipt so we know it went through to the right place. Congratulations, you definitely voted today.” At press time, Hamlin stated that he could also confirm the man’s registration for the 2020 election if he just handed over his driver’s license.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Gershwin fan said:

https://politics.theonion.com/georgia-election-worker-assures-black-man-ballot-scanne-1830266358

Georgia Election Worker Assures Black Man Ballot Scanner Supposed To Sound Like Shredder

LAWRENCEVILLE, GA—Insisting that the machine was operating exactly as intended, Georgia election worker Mitchell Hamlin reportedly assured a black man on Tuesday that the ballot scanner was supposed to sound like a shredder. “Don’t you worry, it’s designed to sound like it’s ripping your ballot into thousands of tiny pieces,” the election worker informed the middle-aged African American resident, adding that it was merely a coincidence that several white voters in front of him had been directed to insert their ballots into a different scanner. “You should absolutely be hearing a constant whirring and shredding sound—that’s the machine’s way of telling you that your vote counts. And that bucket below where the ballot scanner is dropping strips of paper? That’s simply the machine producing a receipt so we know it went through to the right place. Congratulations, you definitely voted today.” At press time, Hamlin stated that he could also confirm the man’s registration for the 2020 election if he just handed over his driver’s license.

FAKE NEWS FROM THE ONION.

31 minutes ago, TheCid said:

As 2016 showed, it doesn't matter what the overall majority believes, it is what the majority of voters in each city,county, district and state believe.  The other problem is that while they may say US is on wrong track, they can't agree on what the right track is.  Millions more have voted for Dem senators than GOP senators yet we still have a majority GOP senate - and it will get bigger.

The new Dem Congressional people are more left than their predecessors.  Many of the GOPers who lost were the moderates in their party.  Some moderate GOP congressional and senatorial people lost in the primaries.

Below is good advice for Pelosi and the new Dems in Congress. NO impeachment talks, NO investigations for first 100 days - prepare for thorough, well done investigations, not shams as GOPers in House did.  1. Raise minimum wage to $15, 2. fix the Affordable Care Act, 3. restore the Voting Rights Act, 4. infrastructure bill without pork, 5. a clean DACA bill.  Then dare the GOPers in Senate to vote against above and Trump to veto them.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-first-five-things-the-democrats-should-do-with-their-house-majority/2018/11/06/54e99b3a-e1fc-11e8-ab2c-b31dcd53ca6b_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.85f533d60fd7&wpisrc=nl_most&wpmm=1

Regarding the ACA, wish the government address the outrageous cost to begin with.

$600.00 for Epipen. Multi digit cost for bandages to just a visit! Let the doctors and drug companies just keep raking the money in. Had a local dentist spent thousands of dollars just for office renovations then moved out when (he claimed) it wasn't big enough.  Guess who pays for it? :angry:

https://www.vox.com/2018/5/1/17261488/er-expensive-medical-bill

23 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

It's a joke, dude. :lol: 

I know that, but it was a long time before I learned that The Onion is a satirical site and what they say is bogus.  Also, readers have to read the source and realize that it is from The Onion.

9 hours ago, jakeem said:

"I promise you tonight we're going to make sure that every vote is counted," Stacey Abrams, Georgia's Democratic candidate for governor, told her supporters early Wednesday morning. "Every single vote."

https://www.npr.org/2018/11/07/664964868/stacey-abrams-vows-to-fight-on-we-still-have-a-few-more-miles-to-go?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=politics&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=202907

MGM7SJHO?format=jpg&name=600x314

4 hours ago, hamradio said:

Stacey Abrams refuses to concede Georgia governor's race, hoping for runoff

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/07/politics/georgia-governors-race-stacey-abrams/index.html

She stated there are votes left to be counted.

From AP - screen snapshot.

2a78z6f.jpg

Hey Ted, why bother (to run)? I'm certain there are uncounted votes to make you 1%. :P:lol:

When you know you've been cheated, you have a right to ask for a recount or even an investigation or take it to the court.

But, If you have to cheat to win--you're on your way out anyway--

Soon to be history, just like Lester Maddox s pickaxe.

5 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

Obama screwed up.

:lol:

I know a guy in Kansas who would say trump screwed up and his name is Kris kobach. And from what I hear they're quite a few others who are saying the same thing today. LOL

yeah, but we've all been educated to understand that barack Obama is so perfect and wise how could he screw up...even once?

:huh:

1 hour ago, jakeem said:

JUST IN: Rep. Richard Neal, the Massachusetts Democrat in line to become chairman of the power Ways and Means Committee, told @CNN's @FoxReports in his first interview since Tuesday's election he's prepared to fight the Trump admin to obtain President's Donald Trump tax returns.

1 hour ago, jakeem said:

RACE CALL: Democratic Sen. Jon Tester defeated Republican Matt Rosendale in Montana's U.S. Senate race despite a blizzard of attacks from Donald Trump and his allies. #Midterms2018US_Election_2018_ElectionDay.png http://huffp.st/JemHcbG 

LIP5L6pG?format=jpg&name=600x314

1 hour ago, jakeem said:

Maggie Haberman Retweeted AP Politics

This was the race Trump personalized more than any other, after Tester helped block Ronnie Jackson from the VA secretary role.

9 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

Obama screwed up.

:lol:

LOL

2 hours ago, TheCid said:

I know that, but it was a long time before I learned that The Onion is a satirical site and what they say is bogus.  Also, readers have to read the source and realize that it is from The Onion.

I assumed it was common knowledge that it was a satirical current events site. Did you really never hear of the Onion before coming here?

3 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

I assumed it was common knowledge that it was a satirical current events site. Did you really never hear of the Onion before coming here?

TheCid and I once discussed this issue. I found it's best when posting an Onion story to put a large, bold "SATIRE" at the top. I've known of The Onion for a couple of decades, back when it was a print newspaper. I bought a few of the compendium books, as well as their Atlas and other original books. I even have the terrible movie on DVD. However, I know not everyone ran in the same cultural circles that I did, and there are plenty of people who aren't aware of The Onion as evidenced by the blog sites compiling people's angry reactions to Onion articles that they took for reality on Facebook, etc.

And to be fair, when The Onion began, it was much easier to tell what was ridiculous in their content. Nowadays, our political and social climate has become so absurd it's genuinely hard at times to tell what's real and what's exaggeration. :lol:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

Never and even after coming here did not realize it was satirical in nature.

Kemp claims victory in Georgia, race still too close to call

........Kemp, the current secretary of state of Georgia, currently has just over 50 percent of the vote against former state Senate Minority Leader Stacey Abrams (D). Abrams refused to concede Tuesday night, hoping that the remaining votes that have not been counted will get Kemp’s total to under 50 percent. 

Georgia law mandates that if no candidate gets 50 percent of the vote then the election heads to a runoff.....

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/415617-kemp-claims-victory-in-georgia-race-still-too-close-to-call?__twitter_impression=true

Beto lost but Texas Democrats have a lot to celebrate

"Rep. Beto O’Rourke came closer to victory in a statewide race than any Texas Democrat in 20 years — but ended the night being still a bridge too far to beat incumbent Republican Sen. Ted Cruz.

This is Texas after all, and in spite of the national and international media hoopla, O’Rourke’s odds of victory were always extremely long.

Thus, in spite of O’Rourke’s ability to energize young Texans to turn out in record numbers for a midterm, there were still enough older Anglos in Texas to put Cruz over the top, albeit by a much narrower margin (2.7 percent) than Cruz would have hoped.....

thanks to O’Rourke and President Trump (who, based on yesterday’s results, is an electoral liability for the Texas GOP), Texans experienced what was arguably their most dramatic and exciting midterm election since first-time candidate George W. Bush faced off against Democratic Gov. Ann Richards in 1994.

Texas saw the highest percentage turnout by registered voters in a Texas midterm since 1970.........

https://thehill.com/opinion/campaign/415611-beto-lost-but-texas-democrats-have-a-lot-to-celebrate

17 hours ago, mr6666 said:

Kemp claims victory in Georgia, race still too close to call

........Kemp, the current secretary of state of Georgia, currently has just over 50 percent of the vote against former state Senate Minority Leader Stacey Abrams (D). Abrams refused to concede Tuesday night, hoping that the remaining votes that have not been counted will get Kemp’s total to under 50 percent. 

Georgia law mandates that if no candidate gets 50 percent of the vote then the election heads to a runoff.....

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/415617-kemp-claims-victory-in-georgia-race-still-too-close-to-call?__twitter_impression=true

I can see this one going to the US Supreme Court ultimately.

19 hours ago, mr6666 said:

YEAH, your VOTE MATTERS!  :o

----------------------------------------------------------

NBC ChicagoVerified account @nbcchicago 7h7 hours ago

Illinois House 51st District race separated by 1 vote

http://nbcchi.com/lnnU275 

DrZ7-ZYXcAA1ElF.jpg

Let that be a lesson to those that says What difference does my vote make?

About the Onion "Black Man Ballot Scanner / Shredder" post, it does look like a shredder. :lol:

7 minutes ago, hamradio said:

Let that be a lesson to those that says What difference does my vote make?

About the Onion "Black Man Ballot Scanner / Shredder" post, it does look like a shredder. :lol:

If you voted at least once, you would know that it's  NOT  a shredder.

Most people's brains have some retention ability.

8 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

If you voted at least once, you would know that it's  NOT  a shredder.

Most people's brains have some retention ability.

I only said the Optech Insight Plus RESEMBLES one.  Geeze with your humor level, must be one killjoy at parties.

insight-banner1.jpg

k11ts.jpg

7 minutes ago, hamradio said:

I only said the Optech Insight Plus RESEMBLES one.  Geeze with your humor level, must be one killjoy at parties.

insight-banner1.jpg

k11ts.jpg

Gee, my perspective probably is very different from yours.

I've worked at the polls for over 10 years. And we make a big issue of showing people the machine, how it works and what happens to their vote.

In fact we encourage people to stand there with us until their vote has been counted so that they can absolutely verify that it has been received.

This may come as a shock to you but you can actually see that it is a computer and not a shredder because it has a monitor that informs you about what's going on.

As far as voting being a party situation, We have a lot of pleasant conversation and conviviality, but it's not a party and it's a serious part of being an American citizen.

• Like 1

After watching what I wanted to last night, it was 9PM so I thought I would see what Rachel Madmouth had to say.  Once I got past the first few minutes of her and preceding "presenter" buttering each other up, it wasn't too bad.  She briefly mentioned each of the GOP people whom Trump had eliminated in the Republican primaries, such as Mark Sanford in S.C., and how the Trump backed GOPer lost.  So many, she couldn't drone on endlessly about them or the election.  About 9:20, she cut to first long commercial break and I turned it off.

The interesting thing was that so many Trump backed candidates lost to Dems., whereas the original non-Trumpist primary GOPer probably might have won.