TheCid

2018 Elections

623 posts in this topic

As Broward, Palm Beach FL vote counting continues, statewide recounts likely in governor, Senate, Ag commissioner races

.......Of the Broward ballots already counted, more than 24,000 people voted for a governor candidate but didn’t vote for a Senate candidate, according to county results Thursday morning.

More than 690,000 people voted for governor in Broward in Tuesday’s election, while more than 665,000 voters cast ballots for Senate, preliminary county election results show.......

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/politics/fl-ne-election-broward-turnout-thursday-20181108-story.html

I'm guessing the races where there is a one vote difference in the outcome are few

and far between. 

• Haha 1

Krysten Sinema, the Democratic candidate for U.S. Senate in Arizona, has taken a slight lead (about 2,000 votes) over the right-wing Republican Martha McSally. The Green Party candidate dropped out of the race and supported Sinema, but she is still receiving about 40,000 votes, much more than the difference between Sinema and McSally.

Another example of how the Green Party is in cahoots with the right-wing.

Kyrsten Sinema takes slight lead in Senate race over Martha McSally

https://www.abc15.com/news/region-phoenix-metro/central-phoenix/kyrsten-sinema-takes-slight-lead-in-senate-race-over-martha-mcsally

As Florida Races Narrow, Trump And Scott Spread Claims Of Fraud- Without Evidence

https://www.npr.org/2018/11/09/666018707/trump-scott-spread-claims-of-voter-fraud-as-florida-race-narrows?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=202909

===================================

NPRVerified account @NPR 5h5 hours ago

"Election officials are literally just counting the ballots.

This isn't corruption or fraud," says the executive director for the Center for Election Innovation and Research.

Robert ReichVerified account @RBReich 16h16 hours ago

Let me get this straight: a secretary of state running for governor can drop thousands of voters from the rolls,

but counting every vote in a tight race is election fraud?

<_<

• Sad 1

This election vindicates the post I made a month or two ago: the most important

factor in a midterm election is not the possible Speaker of the House, but the approval

rating of the president. 

I still do not believe it is a "blue wave," but it is enough to worry Republicans.  Dems. definitely did better in US House, governorships and state legislatures.  It also may foretell problems for GOPers in US Senate in 2020 as they will have a lot more seats on the line compared to Dems.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/for-democrats-a-midterm-election-that-keeps-on-giving/2018/11/09/b4075ef2-e456-11e8-ab2c-b31dcd53ca6b_story.html?noredirect=on&amp;utm_term=.f982e04b4450&amp;wpisrc=nl_most&amp;wpmm=1

The closeness of races in FL, GA and other Red states are also an indication of problems for the GOP.  This when the economy is doing well, taxes have been cut, unemployment is low and employment is high, etc.

One aspect is that the Dems. did very well with suburbs, but suburbs are notorious for shifting back and forth.  They contributed significantly to the Trump victory in 2016 and GOP victories in 2010, 2012 and 2014.

20 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

Kerry SandersVerified account @KerryNBC 2h2 hours ago

It’s official per Sec of State - #FloridaElection will recount ALL votes in races for: US Senate, Gov & Fl Agriculture Commissioner.

Results due Thursday. @NBCNightlyNews @MSNBC

It is my understanding this is a machine recount and therefore the odds are very high the outcome will remain the same.   I.e. same machines and software will lead to same results.

One of California's most Republican districts has thrown out its long-time Republican congressman:

GOP Rep. Dana Rohrabacher loses, and the Republicans' 'bad year' may get worse yet

"Rep. Dana Rohrabacher has lost the congressional seat he held for 30 years in one of the most conservative stretches of Orange County, a stunning defeat for the GOP as other Republicans’ early leads receded in the latest ballot counts, putting the party in fear of losing all six tightly contested House races in California."

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-me-pol-house-vote-orange-county-20181110-story.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Swithin said:

One of California's most Republican districts has thrown out its long-time Republican congressman:

GOP Rep. Dana Rohrabacher loses, and the Republicans' 'bad year' may get worse yet

"Rep. Dana Rohrabacher has lost the congressional seat he held for 30 years in one of the most conservative stretches of Orange County, a stunning defeat for the GOP as other Republicans’ early leads receded in the latest ballot counts, putting the party in fear of losing all six tightly contested House races in California."

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-me-pol-house-vote-orange-county-20181110-story.html

I live in the area and this wasn't really a stunning defeat given Rohrabacher's really out there views on Gays (e.g. one should be allowed to not sell their home to gays),  and his stance on Russia (one of only a handful of House members to NOT vote for sanction). 

CA conservatives are not like mid-western or southern ones.

PS:  My bro-in-law DA lost his re-election bid.    I'm happy about that since he needed to go.   

5 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

PS:  My bro-in-law DA lost his re-election bid.    I'm happy about that since he needed to go.   

Now that he is out of a job, maybe he can move in with you?

Just now, mr6666 said:

Patrick MurphyVerified account @PatrickMurphyFL

Hey @MarcACaputo, just saw notice from @PBCounty that my absentee ballot wasn’t counted due to ‘invalid signature’ match.

Should be +1 @NelsonForSenate @AndrewGillum.

Must overhaul these ridiculous barriers to voting #FloridaRecount #FLSen #FLGov

8:02 AM - 9 Nov 2018

Not sure how this matching works, but I know that my signature is not always the same.  Especially if compared to one from years ago when I registered to vote.  I don't even know what that one looked like.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I live in the area and this wasn't really a stunning defeat given Rohrabacher's really out there views on Gays (e.g. one should be allowed to not sell their home to gays),  and his stance on Russia (one of only a handful of House members to NOT vote for sanction). 

CA conservatives are not like mid-western or southern ones.

I guess CA conservatives are more like NY conservatives. A Democrat won on Staten Island, the only NYC borough to have voted for Trump in 2016.

6 minutes ago, Swithin said:

I guess CA conservatives are more like NY conservatives. A Democrat won on Staten Island, the only NYC borough to have voted for Trump in 2016.

I think the difference is that there are true conservatives, whereas the Tea Party, Trumpists, Freedom Caucus, etc. are not "conservatives."  They are right wing extremists.  Hopefully more people will recognize this.

Coin toss will break tie in Crescent Springs council race

https://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/kenton-county/crescent-springs/coin-toss-will-break-tie-in-crescent-springs-council-race

Earlier this year...

Coin flips, poker hands and other crazy ways America settles tied elections

https://www.cnn.com/2018/01/04/us/tie-elections-history-lots-coins-draws-trnd/index.html

1 hour ago, hamradio said:

West Virginia's State Senator Richard Ojeda running for President in 2020

https://www.wdtv.com/content/news/State-Senator--500252532.html

Can a Pro-Coal Democrat in West Virginia Carve a Path for His Party?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/17/us/politics/richard-ojeda-west-virginia-congress.html

This is about the 2020 Presidential elections.  Except for fact he lost his bid for a US House seat.  He voted for Trump in 2016, but has since become disillusioned.

"Can a Pro-Coal Democrat in West Virginia Carve a Path for His Party?"  I doubt it.

NPRVerified account @NPR 9m9 minutes ago

The Associated Press projects that Democrat Kyrsten Sinema has defeated Republican Martha McSally,

flipping the seat held by Republicans Jeff Flake.

Sinema is the first Democrat Arizona has elected to the Senate since 1988.

:)

• Like 2

14 hours ago, mr6666 said:

NPRVerified account @NPR 9m9 minutes ago

The Associated Press projects that Democrat Kyrsten Sinema has defeated Republican Martha McSally,

flipping the seat held by Republicans Jeff Flake.

Sinema is the first Democrat Arizona has elected to the Senate since 1988.

:)

That gives the Dems 47 in Senate to 51 for GOP.  Two races undecided - Fl and GA.  

Jon Kyl was appointed to complete John McCain's seat but has said he will not serve past end of this year.  The GOP governor in AZ could appoint McSally if Kyl does resign.

Apparently McSally was too "Trumpish" for the voters.  So the GOP lost a seat they had held for 30 years.