jakeem

"The Twilight Zone": Where is everybody?

66 posts in this topic

It's getting tougher and tougher to watch the Syfy Channel's traditional New Year's holiday marathon of "The Twilight Zone."

The reason: Mortality. Every year, we lose more and more of the actors who guest starred on Rod Serling's classic series, which originally aired on CBS from 1959 to 1964. Among those who died in 2017: Martin Landau, Don Gordon and Don Rickles.

So here's a thread about "Twilight Zone" guest stars who are still with us. How many can you think of? Here are a few that immediately come to mind:

William Shatner ("Nick of Time"; "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet," pictured below) -- This one is a no-brainer. Shatner, who will turn 87 in March, is very active with projects and appearances -- and is a frequent Twitter user.

Related image

Robert Redford ("Nothing in the Dark") -- At the age of 81, the two-time Academy Award recipient seems to be as busy as ever with film projects, although he says his acting career is nearing its end.

Image result for robert redford nothing in the dark

Earl Holliman ("Where Is Everybody?") -- The veteran actor appeared in the very first episode of "The Twilight Zone" on October 2, 1959. He will observe his 90th birthday in September.

Related image

Robert Duvall ("Miniature") -- The prolific character actor turns 87 on Friday. His next film, "Widows," is scheduled to open in November.

Image result for robert duvall the twilight zone

Bill Mumy ("It's a Good Life," pictured below; "In Praise of Pip"; "Long Distance Call") -- The former child actor is 63 and will celebrate another birthday on February 1.

Image result for billy mumy the twilight zone

• Like 3

8 hours ago, jakeem said:

Bill Mumy ("It's a Good Life," pictured below; "In Praise of Pip"; "Long Distance Call") -- The former child actor is 63 and will celebrate another birthday on February 1.

Anthony Freemont is still alive and kicking....scary thought! Everybody he knew must be in the cornfield by now, or turned into a jack-in-the-box.

IT'S A GOOD LIFE was one disturbing episode for me....this kid is the poster child for birth control.

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Anthony Freemont is still alive and kicking....scary thought! Everybody he knew must be in the cornfield by now, or turned into a jack-in-the-box.

IT'S A GOOD LIFE was one disturbing episode of me....this kid is the poster child for birth control.

Ha! It was one of the TV episodes used in the Steven Spielberg produced "Twliight Zone: The Movie" in 1983. I believe Mumy was in the segment, but played another character.

And I just remembered who played Anthony's mother:

• Like 3

Submitted for your approval:

Mariette Hartley in the 1964 "The Long Morrow" episode...

twilightzonelongmorrorlansinghartley-920

...is still presently with us at age 77.

Randy Boone in the 1963 "The 7th Is Made Up of Phantoms" episode...

400px-TZ_005.jpg

...is still with us at age 75.

And, Pamela Austin in the 1964 "Number 12 Looks Just Like You" episode...

Pam+Austin4.png

...is still with us at age 76.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have been recording my favorite episodes on my vcr. I usually doan save them. it's an annual habit with me. 

don keefer sure liked peach brandy.:D

Related image

6 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

don keefer sure liked peach brandy.:D

And Perry Como records! :ph34r:

• Like 1

MARY BADHAM, JEFF BYROM, the two kids whose parents are considering divorce in the episode "The Bewitchin' Pool" are still around.  So is LEE HARTFORD who played their mother.

So is SHELLY FABRES, who also played DONNA REED's daughter was in the episode "Black Leather Jackets".

Sepiatone

• Like 2

Image result for the lonely twilight zone

Jean Marsh, who played Alicia the Android in the Season 1 episode "The Lonely" is still alive. 

Related image

Ron Howard (or as he was known back then, "Ronny Howard") is still with us. He was in the Season 1 episode, "Walking Distance." 

Image result for mirror image twilight zone

Vera Miles, who was in the episode, "Mirror Image." 

• Like 5

Ruta Lee who was in the 1963 episode titled "A Short Drink from a Certain Fountain"...

MV5BZDUyYzBlZGUtMmE4MS00MTViLTliYTEtMzhk

...is still with us at age 82.

• Like 3

Just remembered that Marsha Hunt, who turned 100 on October 17, 2017, played Diana Hyland's mother in the 1964 episode "Spur of the Moment." That's the one in which Hyland's character goes horseback riding and gets spooked by another rider -- a woman in black.

Image result for marsha hunt twilight zone

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jakeem said:

Just remembered that Marsha Hunt, who turned 100 on October 17, 2017, played Diana Hyland's mother in the 1964 episode "Spur of the Moment." That's the one in which Hyland's character goes horseback riding and gets spooked by another rider -- a woman in black.

Image result for marsha hunt twilight zone

Wow! I completely didn't realize she was still with us. I always thought she was super cute. I enjoyed her in A Letter for Evie (1946). I believe TCM showed this one at least a year or two ago. 

• Like 2

British actor Kenneth Haigh who played a time traveling(Serling sure loved using this plot contrivance, didn't he?) WWI RFC pilot in the episode "The Last Flight"...

MV5BZmJjZWZhMWMtNGYyYy00YTUzLWI1M2MtMGZm

...is still with us at age 86.

(...always liked this one)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, NickAndNora34 said:

Wow! I completely didn't realize she was still with us. I always thought she was super cute. I enjoyed her in A Letter for Evie (1946). I believe TCM showed this one at least a year or two ago. 

TCM did a morning and afternoon tribute for her centennial. "A Letter for Evie" was one of the films on the schedule. You could certainly see why she was a model before she switched to acting. 

Image result for marsha hunt actress images

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dargo said:

British actor Kenneth Haigh who played a time traveling(Serling sure loved using this plot contrivance, didn't he?)  WWI RAF pilot in the episode "The Last Fight"...

MV5BZmJjZWZhMWMtNGYyYy00YTUzLWI1M2MtMGZm

...is still with us at age 86.

One of my Top 10 favorite episodes. But I would have sworn that Haigh was dead. Thanks for the good news!

You can check Image's Blu-ray set of the series and see who was still around to do commentaries in the 00's--Although at the time, that included Don Rickles from "Mr. Dingle the Strong", and Leonard Nimoy from an opening bit part of "The Purple Testament".  :(

Dean Stockwell, the snotty young WWII officer who got to eat his words off a Japanese plate in "A Quality of Mercy" ("First day of the war, last day of the war, they get it...") still seems to be with us at 71, though.

Dean-Stockwell-in-Twilight-Zone.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

saw today....George Takei...

" "The Encounter" is episode 151 of the American television series The Twilight Zone. First broadcast on May 1, 1964, its racial overtones caused it to be withheld from syndication in the U.S. On January 1, 2016, the episode was finally re-aired as part of Syfy's annual Twilight Zone New's Year Eve marathon. ...

twilight_zone_the_encounter_526.jpg

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, EricJ said:

You can check Image's Blu-ray set of the series and see who was still around to do commentaries in the 00's--Although at the time, that included Don Rickles from "Mr. Dingle the Strong", and Leonard Nimoy from an opening bit part of "The Purple Testament".  :(

Dean Stockwell, the snotty young WWII officer who got to eat his words off a Japanese plate in "A Quality of Mercy" ("First day of the war, last day of the war, they get it...") still seems to be with us at 71, though.

Dean-Stockwell-in-Twilight-Zone.jpg

Wow! "The Purple Testament" and "A Quality of Mercy" -- two of the best episodes about World War II. Stockwell is on my shortlist of people who should receive an honorary Oscar for career excellence.

8 hours ago, jakeem said:

It's getting tougher and tougher to watch the Syfy Channel's traditional New Year's holiday marathon of "The Twilight Zone."

The reason: Mortality. Every year, we lose more and more of the actors who guest starred on Rod Serling's classic series, which originally aired on CBS from 1959 to 1964. Among those who died in 2017: Martin Landau, Don Gordon and Don Rickles.

So here's a thread about "Twilight Zone" guest stars who are still with us. How many can you think of? Here are a few that immediately come to mind:

William Shatner ("Nick of Time"; "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet," pictured below) -- This one is a no-brainer. Shatner, who will turn 87 in March, is very active with projects and appearances -- and is a frequent Twitter user.

Related image

Robert Redford ("Nothing in the Dark") -- At the age of 81, the two-time Academy Award recipient seems to be as busy as ever with film projects, although he says his acting career is nearing its end.

Image result for robert redford nothing in the dark

Earl Holliman ("Where Is Everybody?") -- The veteran actor appeared in the very first episode of "The Twilight Zone" on October 2, 1959. He will observe his 90th birthday in September.

Related image

Robert Duvall ("Miniature") -- The prolific character actor turns 87 on Friday. His next film, "Widows," is scheduled to open in November.

Image result for robert duvall the twilight zone

I remember reading "It's A Good Life" long before seeing the episode.  Terrified me at the time.  If only Billy Mumy had been able to send Dr. Smith into the void :-)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

MARY BADHAM, JEFF BYROM, the two kids whose parents are considering divorce in the episode "The Bewitchin' Pool" are still around.  So is LEE HARTFORD who played their mother.

So is SHELLY FABRES, who also played DONNA REED's daughter was in the episode "Black Leather Jackets".

Sepiatone

Dee Hartford :D

Related image

4 hours ago, Susan Hopkins said:

Tracy Stratford is still around. Doesn't want anything to do with fandom, though...

Ah! She was the title character in another of my Top 10 episodes -- "Little Girl Lost." She was a child who fell through her bedroom wall -- and into another dimension. Her mother was played by the late Sarah Marshall, daughter of actor Herbert Marshall.

Image result for little girl lost

4 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

Dee Hartford :D

Related image

Dee Hartford's sister, Eden, was the third wife of Groucho Marx. She appeared with him in his segment of "The Story of Mankind" (1957).

Image result for eden hartford the story of mankind

1 hour ago, Susan Hopkins said:

Stratford was also Christie in "Living Doll":

Christie: "DADDY, PLEASE!"

Erich: "I'm not your DADDY!"

That's right! I've always referred to that one as "The Talky Tina Episode"! No wonder Stratford shies away from fandom. People would want to talk to her for days! 

And wasn't she the voice of Lucy in "A Charlie Brown Christmas"?

Image result for tracy stratford

• Like 1