Sign in to follow this  
ClassicMovieRankings

Ranking 37 Barry Fitzgerald Movies

13 posts in this topic

Is there an award if you have seen all of them?  I have to hand it to you.  One of the best thread titles of 2018.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bogie56 said:

Is there an award if you have seen all of them?  I have to hand it to you.  One of the best thread titles of 2018.

Barry always sound to me like the Lucky Charms leuprecan, hell even Orson Welles sounded like him in The Lady from Shanghai (1947) I guess I was imprinted with that way before I saw many of Fitzgerald's films. 

My favorites of Barry's are THE QUIET MAN and BRINGING UP BABY, especially love how amazed he is that Cary Grant would be stalking a dog, lol.

• Like 2

My two favorites for Barry are, of course , Bringing Up Baby and Going My Way.

Now we have to hurry up and finish with Barry,  so we can take up his younger brother, Arthur Shields, who appeared in more than

70 films. LOL

Typically though it's *Going My WAY" & of course "The Quiet Man"

I just picked up a print of TOP O' THE MORNING, one of the hardest of the mid-period Crosby films to see. It's another follow-up to GOING MY WAY with Bing playing an insurance investigator who horns in on the elder Barry's policing after the theft of the Blarney Stone. I was actually surprised they played the stone theft plot as soberly as they did. They could have had a lot more fun with the subject but the whole thing turned rather dark (Paramount regular Ed Beloin giving way to crime writer Richard Breen in many respects). I found it effective but I can see why the public did not turn out in droves to see this one. On the plus side, it was nice to see trouper John "Skins" Miller get more than a passing drunk part.

I gotta be honest. I always liked Barry's brother, Arthur Shields way more than he.

Maybe Barry reminds me a bit too much of some parish priests I used to have to sit through sermons by...

1 hour ago, Ray Faiola said:

I just picked up a print of TOP O' THE MORNING, one of the hardest of the mid-period Crosby films to see. It's another follow-up to GOING MY WAY with Bing playing an insurance investigator who horns in on the elder Barry's policing after the theft of the Blarney Stone. I was actually surprised they played the stone theft plot as soberly as they did. They could have had a lot more fun with the subject but the whole thing turned rather dark (Paramount regular Ed Beloin giving way to crime writer Richard Breen in many respects). I found it effective but I can see why the public did not turn out in droves to see this one. On the plus side, it was nice to see trouper John "Skins" Miller get more than a passing drunk part.

It used to be available for streaming on Netflix. That is where I had seen it about five years ago. Paramount restored it digitally for streaming but never seemed to release it on DVD. Now it's not streaming anywhere so it's become hard to find again.

9 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

I gotta be honest. I always liked Barry's brother, Arthur Shields way more than he.

My favorite Arthur Shields role: Patrick the talking harp in JACK AND THE BEANSTALK!

• Like 1

You knew I'd have to chime in on this one, didn't you? The thought of anyone actually watching 37 movies with Barry Fitzgerald fills me with . . . admiration? astonishment? horror?

Fitzgerald is my least favorite actor of classic Hollywood, and the one who creeps me out the most. The two of his films I would be most willing to see again are The Sea Wolf, where he plays a sniveling villain, and And Then There Were None, where he plays a notorious hanging judge. Too bad he didn't lived long enough to play one of the priests in Spotlight.

• Haha 1

Though very close I must vote for "The Quiet Man"

I think he was even interred in Ireland, but many insist co-star & fellow *AMPAS winner *Victor McLaglen was English