Sign in to follow this  
Osfan

Background Song for January Preview Reel

3 posts in this topic

Just saw the January preview reel and, to my shock, it was accompanied by a song sung by one of my favorite singers- "Cry Me A River" by Dinah Washington. I cannot  remember EVER hearing a song running behind one of these clip montages that was actually time-period appropriate. These are, after all, classic films, so why not use classic tunes to entice viewing? If the use of contemporary pop/rock is an attempt to garner/keep/placate (?) a younger audience, perhaps this crowd could benefit from adding a little music "history" to their film study. Why not cultivate a taste for music that is from the same era as the films? And on that note (musical pun intended) why not have Michael Feinstein doing a regular franchise a la "Noir Alley" for music and film- a weekly version of the wonderful spotlight feature that he did in December? Michael has a vast knowledge of the composers and songwriters, and we enjoy  hearing  all of the back stories about their lives and work and inspiration just as we love listening to Eddie Mueller wax on about the stuff that film noir is made of. Anyway, I just felt that it is worth mentioning the use of a great jazz singer to herald the new month's programming.

• Like 1

The use of putrid contemporary pop rock in the background is used for these promos to, I suppose, make the video seem  modern or maybe to placate--to try and bring in-- a younger audience. I agree with you that they should use music that suits the genre or the period. But frankly, any good,  even nondescript, background music would be okay.

Plus, I also think they should probably take a look at the average age of Their audience when they are preparing these promos. LOL

But I've got a good mute button and I don't have any problem using it because I can't stand to listen to that dulll repetitive claptrap anyway. But the promos themselves are quite beautifully done otherwise.

BTW-- Dinah Washington is a jewel.

• Thanks 1

Yes. I agree that the clip sequences are very well put together, and also that any good or even "nondescript" music would be better than most of the stuff that they have been using.