Sign in to follow this  
midnight08

Hooray! W. C. Fields night 1/2

47 posts in this topic

Tomorrow night TCM presents 4 W. C. Fields films; two from Paramount and two from Universal. The first film, Million Dollar Legs, is a TCM premiere. I remember seeing this movie at a film festival many years ago and I couldn't stop laughing. The other three are also very good and worth watching. Don't miss them!

• Like 1

It's a great night for Fields fans, or those not familiar with him.

All four films on tomorrow are well worth seeing, with It's A Gift and Never Give A Sucker An Even Break probably my favourite Fields films.

I particularly love this encounter between Fields and Jody Gilbert as a waitress with attitude in Never Give A Sucker.

never-give-a-sucker-an-even-break.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, midnight08 said:

Tomorrow night TCM presents 4 W. C. Fields films; two from Paramount and two from Universal. The first film, Million Dollar Legs, is a TCM premiere. I remember seeing this movie at a film festival many years ago and I couldn't stop laughing. The other three are also very good and worth watching. Don't miss them!

"Million Dollar Legs", though maybe not a Premiere....

http://moviecollector.us/reports/Future_Premieres.htm

:unsure:

2 hours ago, midnight08 said:

The first film, Million Dollar Legs, is a TCM premiere. I remember seeing this movie at a film festival many years ago and I couldn't stop laughing.

Thank you for pointing this out, I hadn't noticed it on the schedule! I love Million Dollar Legs! I am not a W.C. Fields fan and tend to like a few of his films for reasons other than his presence, particularly films in which he plays a subordinate role, e.g. Million Dollar Legs and David Copperfield. The only Fields film that I like in which he stars is the rarely seen The Old Fashioned Way, which has that priceless musical scene: Jan Duggan singing "Gathering Up the Shells at the Seashore" to an exasperated W.C. Fields. I like "The Drunkard" episode in that film as well.

MillionDollarLegs14.png

Lyda Roberti as The Hottest Thing in Old Klopstockia (Million Dollar Legs)

Two very funny Fields shorts on late: THE DENTIST and THE FATAL GLASS OF BEER.  BEER is probably better known but THE DENTIST is equally great.  The lady patient does contortions you have to see to believe. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, ChristineHoard said:

Two very funny Fields shorts on late: THE DENTIST and THE FATAL GLASS OF BEER.  BEER is probably better known but THE DENTIST is equally great.  The lady patient does contortions you have to see to believe. 

Every time someone shows "The Fatal Glass of Beer" in a film-study context, out come the experts to say "Huh?  It's so arch and idiosyncratic, I don't get it!  Only Fields knew what genius of comedy he was trying to pursue..."

I first saw Beer at a kiddie-matinee collection of public-domain comedy shorts, along with some Chaplin and Stooges, and even then I got the joke--If you know it's trying to be the same parody of corny 1900's evils-of-drink "Drunkard" melodramas as borrowed from "The Old Fashioned Way", you can appreciate Fields' Letterman-esque deadpan sarcasm toward the genre.  :lol:

Fatal+Glass+Of+Beer+%25282%2529+copy.jpg

("Once he saw what he had done, he dashed the glass upon the floor, and staggered out the door with delirium tremens...")

As for "Million Dollar Legs", my dad for years when I was growing up would quote "...(megaphone) Line up, suckers!" without having the faintest idea what movie that came from.  When I finally told him, he still didn't believe me.

I am finally returning home tomorrow night after a protracted holiday absence, with access to TCM only part of the time. I will be delighted to check out Million Dollar Legs, which I have definitely never seen. 

I'm another happy viewer looking forward to the night of Fields films. We've screened the shorts & IT'S A GIFT at our weekly screenings and they are real crowd pleasers. A great chance to record all these in succession for a Fields film festival to share with the uninitiated.
Thank you TCM

7 hours ago, ChristineHoard said:

Really?

I've seen THE DENTIST many times, but never A FATAL GLASS OF BEER.

Sepiatone

7 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

I am finally returning home tomorrow night after a protracted holiday absence, with access to TCM only part of the time. I will be delighted to check out Million Dollar Legs, which I have definitely never seen. 

I've always wondered if the "crazy" comedy of Million Dollar Legs and its mythical kingdom were major inspirations for the Marx Brothers and Duck Soup, released at the same studio the following year.

7 hours ago, EricJ said:

Every time someone shows "The Fatal Glass of Beer" in a film-study context, out come the experts to say "Huh?  It's so arch and idiosyncratic, I don't get it!  Only Fields knew what genius of comedy he was trying to pursue..."

I first saw Beer at a kiddie-matinee collection of public-domain comedy shorts, along with some Chaplin and Stooges, and even then I got the joke--If you know it's trying to be the same parody of corny 1900's evils-of-drink "Drunkard" melodramas as borrowed from "The Old Fashioned Way", you can appreciate Fields' Letterman-esque deadpan sarcasm toward the genre.  :lol:

Not a fit night for man or beast!

Image.jpg?imgmax=800

But The Dentist is the Fields short that I really love. Take a look at this clearly pre-code comedy moment.

TD2.gif

• Haha 3

I love Jody Gilbert's line to Fields "You're as funny as a cry for help". Wouldn't you know I just got a print of IN OLD ARIZONA and Edmund Lowe makes the same crack! Jody was MUCH funnier!!

52 minutes ago, Ray Faiola said:

I love Jody Gilbert's line to Fields "You're as funny as a cry for help". Wouldn't you know I just got a print of IN OLD ARIZONA and Edmund Lowe makes the same crack! Jody was MUCH funnier!!

That's right. Fields gave Jody one of the best lines in that crazy film (at his character's expense!).

Ever wonder what would have happened if Jody had been the waitress serving Jack Nicholson in Five Easy Pieces and he gave her attitude? Jody would have served his chicken sal sandwich flush in his face.

MV5BNGMwMDI0MjYtNmQ4MS00YzIzLWIwNTQtOTFk

"You talkin' to me, Jack? You talkin' to me?"

• Like 2

Just now, Ray Faiola said:

"Baloney, Mahoney malarkey you big kabloona!"

You know when you're sitting in a diner and the waitress tosses the menu to you you might not be about to get the best service you've ever had.

13 hours ago, mr6666 said:

"Million Dollar Legs", though maybe not a Premiere....

http://moviecollector.us/reports/Future_Premieres.htm

:unsure:   I'm pretty sure that Million Dollar Legs is a TCM premiere. I've recorded any and all of W. C. Field's films ever since I got TCM in 1996. Even their schedule states it as "TCM presents" versus the other films which TCM shows as "comedy".  

2 hours ago, TomJH said:

That's right. Fields gave Jody one of the best lines in that crazy film (at his character's expense!).

Ever wonder what would have happened if Jody had been the waitress serving Jack Nicholson in Five Easy Pieces and he gave her attitude? Jody would have served his chicken sal sandwich flush in his face.

MV5BNGMwMDI0MjYtNmQ4MS00YzIzLWIwNTQtOTFk

"You talkin' to me, Jack? You talkin' to me?"

There's something awfully big about you.

There's something awfully big about you too, Fields says as she turns.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My ma' just called from the other room & told me he was on. Sadly, you hardly ever hear of William Claude Dunbkfeild anymore?

I started by setting the DVR to just record The Bank Dick because that was the film that I'd heard of.  Then after reading everyone's raves about the other films scheduled, I read the summaries of the other films in the block, deciding that I would DVR all of the films that sounded interesting.  Before I knew it, I'd recorded the whole block.  Lol. 

I've never seen a WC Fields film before.  I wish that the film he'd made with Mae West was scheduled, but I'll start with what TCM has scheduled and go on from there. 

I never heard of Susan Fleming (Angela from Million Dollar legs) but she resembled Ruby Keeler. When I looked her up I was surprised to read that she was married to Harpo Marx from 1936 till his death in 1964. They had 4 children.

I also wondered why I never heard much of Lyda Roberti till I read that she died of heart failure in 1938 at the age of 31. Interesting!

16 hours ago, midnight08 said:

I'm pretty sure that Million Dollar Legs is a TCM premiere. I've recorded any and all of W. C. Field's films ever since I got TCM in 1996. Even their schedule states it as "TCM presents" versus the other films which TCM shows as "comedy".  

I can verify that it has already been in the schedule.  June 5th 2001, 1am (or late June 4th in and around the halls of TCM).  An earlier W.C. Fields block.

• Thanks 1

speedracer said: I wish that the film he'd made with Mae West was scheduled

No you don't-it's the worst picture in both their libraries.

I saw MY LITTLE CHICKADEE in the 70's and it turned me off to both West & Fields for 30 years. So glad my film group scheduled both artists' earlier films for me to realize their true cinematic gems.
Glad you recorded the whole block-I did too!
  • Haha 1