Sign in to follow this  
LawrenceA

Best Picture Blu Rays

4 posts in this topic

Since the 1980's, I've had a collection of all of the winners of the best Picture Oscar, first on VHS (I had about 60% of them), then on DVD (100%) and over the last several years I've slowly traded those for Blu Rays whenever they've become available, and at a price I'm willing to pay for them. That being said, there are several Best Pictures that have yet to receive a Region 1 Blu Ray edition. These include:

• The Broadway Melody (1929)
  • Cimarron (1931)
  • The Great Ziegfeld (1936)
  • The Life of Emile Zola (1937)
  • Going My Way (1944)
  • The Lost Weekend (1945)
  • Hamlet (1948)
  • The Greatest Show on Earth (1952)
  • Around the World in 80 Days (1956)
  • A Man for All Seasons (1966)
  • Oliver! (1968)
  • Ordinary People (1980)

Tom Jones (1963) will have a Blu Ray edition from Criterion this coming February. All the King's Men (1949) has a Twilight Time Blu Ray, but it's terribly overpriced and lacks bonus features, so I haven't picked that one up yet. I'm curious how many more of these that have not come out yet ever will. 

This was inspired by my watching my DVD of The Great Ziegfeld again and noticing how much it needs a remastering and cleanup. 

Edit: It looks like there are Region 1 Twilight Time Blu Rays of both A Man for All Seasons and Oliver!, both wildly overpriced.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2018 at 11:36 AM, LawrenceA said:

It appears that Oliver! (1968) will be released on Region 1 Blu-ray on December 11th.

81iB72PXFcL._SX342_.jpg

Are you going to get it? I thought you despise musicals? Or is Oliver! one of the ones you enjoy?

Just now, Gershwin fan said:

Are you going to get it? I thought you despise musicals? Or is Oliver! one of the ones you enjoy?

I'll probably get it eventually, if the price is low enough. You're right, I don't like musicals, but I will watch, and even re-watch, movies that I don't normally like, for one reason or another (a performer that I like, a director I like, or in this case, it's a best picture winner, and I'll rewatch those every once in a while). I also have Sound of MusicWest Side StoryChicago, and all of the other musicals that have won best picture.

• Thanks 1