mjrielly

Thoughts on colorized movies

9 posts in this topic

What are you thoughts on colorized movies? Personally, I hate it. And I am surprised that TCM plays the colorized versions of the films.

Last night I watched Cheaper by the Dozen (1950) with Clifton Webb. I really enjoyed the movie but was a little distracted by the cheap colorization. Maybe it's just me, but I would prefer that TCM run films in their original (or restored) format.

What do you think?

We all but one would agree.  And you'll probably hear from that one shortly. ;)

And welcome to the boards.

Sepiatone

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

We all but one would agree.  And you'll probably hear from that one shortly. ;)

And welcome to the boards.

Sepiatone

HA! Guess I should have searched on "colorized" before posting. :D

Thanks for the welcome. I ma happy to be here! I looked for an introductions forum, but did not see one.

23 minutes ago, mjrielly said:

What are you thoughts on colorized movies? Personally, I hate it. And I am surprised that TCM plays the colorized versions of the films.

Last night I watched Cheaper by the Dozen (1950) with Clifton Webb. I really enjoyed the movie but was a little distracted by the cheap colorization. Maybe it's just me, but I would prefer that TCM run films in their original (or restored) format.

What do you think?

I don’t think that print of “Cheaper By the Dozen” was colorized. That’s the only version I’ve ever seen TCM air and looking at the specs on IMDB, it states that the film was shot in Technicolor. Maybe this is simply a film in need of a restoration. 

6 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I don’t think that print of “Cheaper By the Dozen” was colorized. That’s the only version I’ve ever seen TCM air and looking at the specs on IMDB, it states that the film was shot in Technicolor. Maybe this is simply a film in need of a restoration. 

I saw that the Technical Spec list it as color, but I assumed it was an error. IMdB has a lot of mistakes. I assumed it was black and white from the trailer and pictures on IMdB

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0042327/videoplayer/vi3171616537?ref_=tt_pv_vi_aiv_1

image.png.2373df18693ba8937b710ea5a6b757e8.png

But then I saw the poster...

MV5BYzhkNDFkYjktM2IyMS00YjVhLWExYjUtMTE3

MV5BMTc5NjQ4MTEyMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjg1

• Like 1

IMDb is only as correct as the crowd-sourced information it gleefully accepts free of charge from its benefactors and then considers to be its own proprietary info, which you now need to pay for (as in lists of movies produced per studio - among other things). ;)

That could be a B&W photo.  Also you may have seen a B&W print before, or maybe you saw it air on a B&W TV set.

I have thought about colorizing some more, and colorizing requires human intervention in order to be completed, and humans are imperfect and prone to oversight, inconsistency, or mistakes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

IMDb is only as correct as the crowd-sourced information it gleefully accepts free of charge from its benefactors and then considers to be its own proprietary info, which you now need to pay for (as in lists of movies produced per studio - among other things). ;)

<snip>

Yes, I've been a contributor on IMdB for some time. I've corrected several inaccuracies.

8 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

I have thought about colorizing some more, and colorizing requires human intervention in order to be completed, and humans are imperfect and prone to oversight, inconsistency, or mistakes.

Sure are.  I recall in the process' early days they were taken to task by Stan Laurel's daughter for giving her father the wrong hair color. :D

Sepiatone

This was a big deal in the '80's w/*Woody Allen & others in hearings