Stephan55

Ignored Movies (I'd/We'd?) Like to See Again!

124 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

think people are just sharing their thoughts about what they'd like to see, without letting the realities of TCM's budget get in the way of their wishing!

In that case, I'd also like to see It's a Wonderful Life on TCM! ;)

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/12/2018 at 6:59 PM, Stephan55 said:

This is great MCOH, and what a labor of "love" (or do you have just way to much spare time on your hands?);)

When I was perusing your work I did notice that the movies listed to be shown tonight (for the first time) have already been added into your file.
However, sometimes scheduling is preempted, or changed at near the last minute for us viewers, so just wanted to know whether you go back and amend your most recent additions when that happens?

Hi Stephan, thanks for the kind words.  This was a big amount of work for me up front, but now I spend about a couple hours a month at it.  It is a routine that is mostly scripted.  It actually takes a few more hours than that, but I step away or go to bed and come back later.  So two hours (if that) of my time in preparation, then it does its own thing for a few more hours.

I figured if I didn't do it, then it probably wouldn't happen.  That and I wanted to have a resource like this.

I update it once a month, usually following the initial release of the latest tentative schedule.

They tend to stick to their schedule within one month's time, so I have found that it doesn't really pay for me to stay right on top of it.  The exceptions would be last minute cancellations or last minute additions.  These changes eventually do appear on the monthly schedule (for sure by the end of the month), and then I just get it at the end of the month.

Each time this gets updated, up to 5 months (month-ending, current, and up to three future months) of schedules get parsed, imported, resolved, added into the main tables, and then integrity tested.  It is mostly automated, but there are usually about 30 or so records that I actually need to look at and manually resolve.  Then the older obsolete versions of the same months get deleted.  The month-ending month going in this one last time is never touched again (considered permanent at this point).

The features you asked about appeared on this month's reports because they were there when I ran my updates - I didn't do anything special in that case, that is just my system working (you can see they also appeared in cmovieviewer's earlier Premieres thread post, based on my previous Dec 2 updates).  Usually premieres appear months ahead, sometimes not.

P.S. It looks like TBAs, which are used as placeholders, get peoples attention for last-minute additions.  So people at least know to look for those.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Stephan55 said:

 

This is one of those films that TCM will air this one time and likely not again (at least not for many, many years, if at all) so catch it while you can! (Or preset your DVR's tonight!)

There's a good Robert E. Byrd/ Antarctica documentary coming on later that TCM rarely shows too. Definitely worth a viewing.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, TopBilled said:

I would also like to see the channel air some classic James Bond films, particularly the ones starring Roger Moore.

Yes, please!

Roger Moore is my favorite Bond, and I've seen Live and Let Die, The Man With the Golden Gun, and Octopussy. I have yet to see The Spy Who Loved Me and For Your Eyes Only.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In May, 2009, Sean Connery was the Star of the Month, and TCM somehow got the rights to show Dr. No and From Russia with Love, which was only appropriate - how could you have Connery as SOTM and not have at least a couple of Bond films? But that appears to have been a once-in-a-lifetime sort of thing. To the best of my knowledge, those are the only airings of any Bond films in the network's history (and they both aired twice that month). The Bond films were all under the MGM umbrella at one time when the studio bought out United Artists in the early 80s, but MGM obviously has had its own troubles since then. Not sure who owns them now ... Sony? I think they're the primary studio on the new Daniel Craig films, but there appears to be some exclusive TV licensing deal that prohibits TCM from ever getting a chance to show them.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

In May, 2009, Sean Connery was the Star of the Month, and TCM somehow got the rights to show Dr. No and From Russia with Love, which was only appropriate - how could you have Connery as SOTM and not have at least a couple of Bond films? But that appears to have been a once-in-a-lifetime sort of thing. To the best of my knowledge, those are the only airings of any Bond films in the network's history (and they both aired twice that month). The Bond films were all under the MGM umbrella at one time when the studio bought out United Artists in the early 80s, but MGM obviously has had its own troubles since then. Not sure who owns them now ... Sony? I think they're the primary studio on the new Daniel Craig films, but there appears to be some exclusive TV licensing deal that prohibits TCM from ever getting a chance to show them.

MGM still currently owns the Bond films, but Sony, Warner Bros, Annapurna, Fox and Universal all want the rights to them. (I got this information from Deadline, but please correct me if I'm wrong.) I guess this studio war is the reason why the Bond films can't be shown on TCM. That's too bad because they would've been great for a Roger Moore tribute had he received one.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Running on Empty and Stand By Me. (I own the latter on DVD.) Stand By Me has rarely been shown on TCM while Running on Empty only resurfaces during 31 Days of Oscar. I'm a huge fan of River Phoenix, and these two are among my favorites of his.

 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since TCM seems to be adding a weekly timeslot in March for newer movies (Saturdays late night, in the old TCM Underground space, since that is being moved to Friday nights), perhaps some of these more relatively recent movies will be shown. Granted, most viewers will need a DVR/VCR/some sort of recording device, or else become a nite-owl.

In March, you have The Big Chill (1983) & Bye Bye Braverman (1968) on the 10th, Blood Simple (1984) & The Player (1992) on the 17th, Deathtrap (1982) and Time After Time (1979) on the 24th. The first Saturday in March is still 31 Days of Oscar programming, and the last Saturday is religious epics for Easter.

  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

Since TCM seems to be adding a weekly timeslot in March for newer movies (Saturdays late night, in the old TCM Underground space, since that is being moved to Friday nights), perhaps some of these more relatively recent movies will be shown. Granted, most viewers will need a DVR/VCR/some sort of recording device, or else become a nite-owl.

In March, you have The Big Chill (1983) & Bye Bye Braverman (1968) on the 10th, Blood Simple (1984) & The Player (1992) on the 17th, Deathtrap (1982) and Time After Time (1979) on the 24th. The first Saturday in March is still 31 Days of Oscar programming, and the last Saturday is religious epics for Easter.

I was pleased to see BYE BYE BRAVERMAN on the schedule. It does not air very often on TCM. A while back it was finally released on DVD thru the Warner Archives. A rather quirky film, a lot of fun if you enjoy oddball stuff from the late 60s. And if you're a fan of Jessica Walter you'll definitely want to check it out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jinsinna13 said:

Stand By Me has never been shown on TCM

Actually, it was shown late last year (October, IIRC), but I'd welcome it's return.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, limey said:

Actually, it was shown late last year (October, IIRC), but I'd welcome it's return.

My mistake. My post above has been fixed.

Even though I own Stand By Me on DVD, I'd still welcome its return.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, limey said:

Actually, it was shown late last year (October, IIRC), but I'd welcome it's return.

Yeah, it's been one of the Essentials a few times actually.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jinsinna13 said:

My mistake. My post above has been fixed.

Even though I own Stand By Me on DVD, I'd still welcome its return.

Yeah, and I'll bet especially so whenever, ahem, the night has come and the land is dark and the moon is only light you see, huh jinsinna.

(...sorry) ;)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Okay, it was a bit of a reach to get to that joke, but I still smiled!

Are you saying he needs new material? Some of Dargo's comments are very funny.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dargo said:

Yeah, and I'll bet especially so whenever, ahem, the night has come and the land is dark and the moon is only light you see, huh jinsinna.

(...sorry) ;)

I now have stuck in my head, a mental loop of Dargo complete with painted on mustache & in full karaoke mode, belting out the chorus for that... ♫ So Darling, Darrrrrrling...:ph34r:

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, limey said:

I now have stuck in my head, a mental loop of Dargo complete with painted on mustache & in full karaoke mode, belting out the chorus for that... ♫ So Darling, Darrrrrrling...:ph34r:

Ewww. That song along with Love Shack has kept me away from karaoke bars for years.:D

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LawrenceA's review on 1936's Three Godfathers over in the I Just Watched thread, reminded me that it would also be nice if TCM could air the 1916 short of the same story. I'm fairly certain it was shown a few years ago & I've since been keeping an eye for it in the schedules.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/12/2018 at 8:52 PM, MovieCollectorOH said:

Hi Stephan, thanks for the kind words.  This was a big amount of work for me up front, but now I spend about a couple hours a month at it.  It is a routine that is mostly scripted.  It actually takes a few more hours than that, but I step away or go to bed and come back later.  So two hours (if that) of my time in preparation, then it does its own thing for a few more hours.

 

MovieCollector, what a herculean effort it has been on your part to produce this list. Thanks very much. I see that films I thought had never been on TCM have, indeed, been on - prior to 2005 when I first got the channel, that is. And some of them, such as Foreign Correspondent or The Third Man, for example, never make it into Canada.

In any event, partially because posters like to complain about the frequency of broadcasts of some films, North By Northwest in particular, I went through your list to see which, indeed, had been the most frequently shown - at least since 2001. I was struck by how much the MGM musicals came on, many of them more than 50 times.

In any event here are the top 15 repeats on TCM, according to your list, which may be of interest to some:

1. CASABLANCA (125 showings)

casablanca21.jpg

2. MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS (121)

maxresdefault.jpg

3. ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD (120)

the-adventures-of-robin-hood-1938-1.jpg?

4. PHILADELPHIA STORY (118)

5. SINGIN' IN THE RAIN (110)

6. (A Three Way Tie)

    MEET JOHN DOE (108)

    NORTH BY NORTHWEST (108)

    ON THE TOWN (108)

7. MALTESE FALCON (105)

8. MILDRED PIERCE (102)

9. (A Two Way Tie)

    AMERICAN IN PARIS (98)

    FATHER OF THE BRIDE (98)

10. ADAM'S RIB (97)

11. KEY LARGO (96)

12. BRINGING UP BABY (95)

13. NOW VOYAGER (93)

14. (A Four Way Tie)

     GIGI (92)

     SERGEANT YORK (92)

     SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS (92)

     SHOP AROUND THE CORNER (92)

15. (A Two Way Tie)

     LITTLE WOMEN ('49) (90)

     WOMAN OF THE YEAR (90)

Five actors appeared in three films each in the top 15 - Bogart, Cary Grant, Gene Kelly, Spencer Tracy and Katharine Hepburn. Looking at the overall list I wouldn't be surprised if Grant wasn't the star of more repeats than any other actor, counting at least 13 of his films that have been on more than 50 times (Bogart was close behind at 11, though two of those were films in which he was in support from his early days).

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can never get enough of CASABLANCA, KEY LARGO, BRINGING UP BABY or THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD, so no complaints from me on that front.

I don't have a problem when TCM chooses to show a film a bit frequently (even if it isn't a movie I particularly care for), but I can certainly understand why others might grow wary of TCM showing the same movies over and over again while neglecting other films that you'll be lucky to catch in a full blue moon.

I wonder if the powers that be in charge of scheduling TCM keep track of how many times they show a particular movie.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Can never get enough of CASABLANCA, KEY LARGO, BRINGING UP BABY or THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD, so no complaints from me on that front.

I don't have a problem when TCM chooses to show a film a bit frequently (even if it isn't a movie I particularly care for), but I can certainly understand why others might grow wary of TCM showing the same movies over and over again while neglecting other films that you'll be lucky to catch in a full blue moon.

I wonder if the powers that be in charge of scheduling TCM keep track of how many times they show a particular movie.

 

What I find interesting about that top 15 list (actually more than 15 since there are a number of ties) is how many posters have zeroed in on Hitchcock's North By Northwest for criticism of the repeats but leave many of the other titles alone.

I mean who says, Oh NO! On the Town's on again, or Robin Hood, among so many others. Robin Hood's repeats beat out NBNW by a considerable number, in fact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TomJH said:

What I find interesting about that top 15 list (actually more than 15 since there are a number of ties) is how many posters have zeroed in on Hitchcock's North By Northwest for criticism of the repeats but leave many of the other titles alone.

I mean who says, Oh NO! On the Town's on again, or Robin Hood, among so many others. Robin Hood's repeats beat out NBNW by a considerable number, in fact.

Maybe it's a testament that there can never be too much Errol? LOL

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, TomJH said:

What I find interesting about that top 15 list (actually more than 15 since there are a number of ties) is how many posters have zeroed in on Hitchcock's North By Northwest for criticism of the repeats but leave many of the other titles alone.

I mean who says, Oh NO! On the Town's on again, or Robin Hood, among so many others. Robin Hood's repeats beat out NBNW by a considerable number, in fact.

One thing we're not mentioning is there are trends in programming. There was a two-year period when it seemed several guest programmers picked A PLACE IN THE SUN (one of the few Paramount films TCM likes to lease). At the time there were threads where people complained that the guests needed to start picking something else! LOL

Also milestone anniversaries play into this. In 2019 we'll get a whole crop of the 1939 classics hitting their 80th year. So that will probably inspire TCM's programming department to create primetime themes and monthly spotlights featuring those titles. Mostly to function as tie-ins to related merchandising and stimulate DVD sales, and sell tickets for a few "anniversary" showings in theaters around the U.S. 

So getting back to NORTH BY NORTHWEST, I don't think it really became a darling of the programmers until the past few years. Of course it has always aired each year but suddenly it started receiving super heavy rotation. It was rather transparent this had become TCM's new golden child; especially when the first thing people looked at each month upon the release of a new schedule was "is NORTH BY NORTHWEST airing again?" Then when it started airing twice a month this angered viewers who either didn't care for the movie or liked it but already had their fill. I think if you make another one of these top 15 lists five years from now, if the current trends continue, NORTH BY NORTHWEST will surpass THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD and probably even MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS. 

I do think CASABLANCA will continue to be TCM's most-aired film. There seems to be an ongoing conscious attempt to program it at frequent key intervals, which doesn't seem likely to change. Like it's a title they're proud to have in their library and they like to show it off. Nothing wrong with that, but these frequent airings sometimes cause great displeasure, and yes, volatile reactions.

As I've stated in another thread the bigger issue is when good films are unfairly neglected so they can squeeze in another showing of a film everyone has probably seen multiple times. Finally, I'd venture to say that a lot of TCM's most faithful viewers already own CASABLANCA either on studio-issued VHS or DVD. Or they belong to a streaming service that offers it. Not to mention the ones who've recorded it during one of those 125 broadcasts. And they can borrow a copy from their public libraries. CASABLANCA will always be available. But one of the things that makes TCM so special in the eyes of many is not the frequent broadcasts of films that are already easy to find, but the airing of films that are not as easy to find.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a fan of North By Northwest but I like Robin Hood even more. I like seeing it well ahead in repeats (No. 3!), though I can't say how many broadcasts there have been of either film in the last five years or so.

As the very competitive Sir Guy might have said to the Hitchcock film . . .

maxresdefault.jpg

"You've come to TCM once too often!"

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us