Stephan55

Ignored Movies (I'd/We'd?) Like to See Again!

72 posts in this topic

I just noticed that this Friday (January 5, 2018) in prime time TCM will air a movie that it hasn't broadcast since late January 2008 (10 years ago!).
THE NAKED PREY (1966) is a late 19th century safari adventure survival classic with Cornel Wilde as a guide, caught between unscrupulous hunters that he dislikes and natives that he sympathizes with but must flee to survive. I first saw this as a teen, and last viewed when TCM aired it 10 years ago! It has been long over-do for a replay and I will set my DVR for this one so I don't have to wait another decade to see it again!

Got me to thinking about other films that TCM broadcast that year (2008) and a few afterward that haven't shown up since, as well as a few that I can't remember TCM ever airing.

If any of you have any movies in mind that you feel that TCM has neglected to replay for way too long (or worse, has never played at all!) Please share your titles (and a little about them) here!

So I'll start this thread off with a few of those that I enjoyed in the distant past and wish TCM would consider giving another showing: 

UNTAMED (1955) Some might call this a Susan Hayward picture since she is the central figure throughout. It is a 19th century South Africa colonial adventure epic, involving native clashes, diamonds, and a love triangle with Tyrone Power and Richard Egan. A S. African "western" directed by Henry King, based on a 1950 novel by Helga Moray. Last aired on TCM in Jan. 2008.

THE RED PONY (1949) This is a folksy coming-of-age family film based on the 1937 John Steinbeck novel and directed by Lewis Milestone. It's about a small ranch family, a young boy who idealizes their ranch hand, and of course a "red" pony. Marvelous cast includes Robert Mitchum, Myrna Loy, Louis Calhern, Shepperd Strudwick, Margaret Hamilton, and a young Peter Miles and Beau Bridges. Great score by Aaron Copland. Last aired on TCM in March 2008.

BRANDO (2007) This was a two-part TCM documentary special featuring numerous interviews on this iconic actor's life (on-screen and off). TCM last aired it in April 2008!

THE ADVENTURES OF TOM SAWYER (1938) Selznick's rather faithful production of the Twain novel, directed by Norman Taurog and featuring Tommy Kelly (as Tom), Jackie Moran (as Huck), Ann Gillis (as Becky), May Robson (as Aunt Polly), and Victor Jory (a sinister Injun Joe), additional cast includes such character actor greats as Walter Brennan, Victor Kilian, Donald Meek, and Margaret Hamilton. I first saw this as a kid, and to me it remains the definitive (albeit seldom seen) screen version of the famous novel. TCM last broadcast it in June 2008.

ZULU (1964)
This British 19th century South Africa historical epic directed by Cy Endfield is based on an actual event, where 4,000 Zulu warriors attack a small British garrison in the "Battle of Rorke's Drift" 1879 Natal, South Africa. It was Michael Caine's big screen debut, and also featured Stanley Baker, Jack Hawkins, and Nigel Green, among others. TCM last broadcast in August 2008.
The prequel ZULU DAWN (1979) another British historical epic is based on events leading up to the Battle of Isandhlwana, in Natal, South Africa, and was last aired by TCM October 11, 2014 (over 3 years ago!). It featured an outstanding international cast including Peter O'Toole, Burt Lancaster, John Mills, Simon Ward, Denholm Elliott, and Bob Hoskins, and should be seen as a double feature with Zulu.

SON OF FURY: THE STORY OF BENJAMIN BLAKE (1942)
A 20th Century Fox, 18th century romantic adventure based on the 1941 novel by Edison Marshall, features Tyrone Power (as the titular character) usurped of his inheritance by his uncle, he seeks his fortune in the south seas.  Directed by John Cromwell, the fine cast includes Gene Tierney, George Sanders, Frances Farmer, Elsa Lanchester, John Carradine, Harry Davenport, Dudley Digges, and Roddy McDowall. TCM last aired this gem October 4, 2012 (over 5 years ago!).

Now for a few Movies that I've NEVER seen on TCM, but would like too!
I'll begin with movies that that I last saw decades ago and several which featured one of my favorite leading men, Tyrone Power.

THE REMARKABLE ANDREW (1942)  From Paramount Pictures, directed by Stuart Heisler and based on a novel by Dalton Trumbo. Is a cute fantasy about politics and corruption with a frame-up of the central character played by a young William Holden who attempts to thwart evil by summoning up incarnations of several of the founding fathers headed by Andrew Jackson, no less (played by Brian Donlevy). Ellen Drew is Holden's loyal love interest, and the rest of the delightful cast includes such notables as Montagu Love (George Washington), Gilbert Emery (Thomas Jefferson), Brandon Hurst (Chief Justice John Marshall), George Watts (Benjamin Franklin), with Rod Cameron, Minor Watson, Porter Hall, and Emory Parnell (among others). 

I'LL NEVER FORGET YOU (1951) aka "The House in the Square" & "Man of Two Worlds." Is a British fantasy and updated remake of BERKELEY SQUARE (1933) based on the play by John L. Balderston. Distributed in the U.S. by 20th Century Fox, Tyrone Power plays an American atomic scientist who is mysteriously transported back to 18th century London, where he meets and falls in-love with a beautiful girl who has long since past away. Directed by Roy Ward Baker, the cast features beautiful Ann Blyth (as Power's love interest), Michael Rennie, Dennis Price, Beatrice Campbell, and Irene Browne (who reprises her role from the 1933 version).

BRIGHAM YOUNG (1940) A 20th Century Fox epic about the historical westward trek of Latter-Day Saints following the fracturing of their church after the assassination of founder Joseph Smith in 1844. Outstanding cast brings the story to life. Directed by Henry Hathaway and featuring Dean Jagger (as Young), with Tyrone Power & Linda Darnell (as romantically involved followers), as well as believable performances by Brian Donlevy, Jane Darwell, John Carradine, Mary Astor, Vincent Price, Jean Rogers, and Moroni Olsen.

A couple of Twentieth Century Fox period swashbucklers that co-starred Orson Welles:
PRINCE OF FOXES (1949) an adventure set in Renaissance Italy, with Power dealing with the "power mad" Cesare Borgia (Welles). Directed by Henry King, based on the novel by Samuel Shellabarger, also featured Everett Sloane, Katina Paxinou, and Felix Aylmer, among others. 
THE BLACK ROSE (1950) a 13th century adventure epic in which ex-patriot Saxon's (Power and Jack Hawkins), flee Norman England and end up in the Chinese court of Kubla Kahn (where they meet warlord, Welles). Directed by Henry Hathaway, also features Michael Rennie, Finlay Currie, Herbert Lom, James Robertson Justice, Laurence Harvey, Alfonso Bedoya, and a young Robert Blake. 

A couple more period pieces from 20th Century Fox: 
PONY SOLDIER (1952) A 19th century adventure set in Canada with Power as a North-West Mounted Policeman out to rescue hostages held by the Cree Indians. Directed by Joseph Newman and featuring Robert Horton, Thomas Gomez, Cameron Mitchell, Michael Rennie, Richard Boone and Frank deKova.
KING OF THE KHYBER RIFLES (1953) A 19th century adventure set in British India with British officer (Power) assigned to defend the Khyber Pass from revolting Indian tribesmen. Directed by Henry King and loosely based on the 1916 novel by Talbot Mundy, the cast also features Terry Moore, Michael Rennie, Guy Rolfe, Richard Wyler, and Frank DeKova.

THE MISSISSIPPI GAMBLER (1953) A Universal 19th Century adventure with Power as a colorful riverboat gambler who gets involved in shenanigans en-route to New Orleans. Directed by Rudolph Maté and a cast featuring Piper Laurie, Julie Adams, John McIntire, Robert Warwick, and Guy Williams.

• Like 4

One quibble: Zulu was not Michael Caine's first film.  In 1956, he was uncredited in "Panic in the Parlour," and played Private Lockyer in "Hell in Korea."  TCM aired the latter a few years ago.  He was so young and unrecognizable that I didn't realize it was him until the credits rolled at the end

• Thanks 1

"Buster and Billie" with Jan-Michael Vincent. Typical drive-in fare that turns out not to be typical but very moving.

• Like 2

I have little recollection of seeing (or not seeing for a terribly long time anyway): "The Petrified Forest", "They Made Me A Criminal", "Dead End", "City For Conquest" and "The Grapes of Wrath". 

Zea

• Like 2

5 hours ago, karlofffan said:

One quibble: Zulu was not Michael Caine's first film.  In 1956, he was uncredited in "Panic in the Parlour," and played Private Lockyer in "Hell in Korea."  TCM aired the latter a few years ago.  He was so young and unrecognizable that I didn't realize it was him until the credits rolled at the end

Yes, Michael Caine was in 20 movies before Zulu, often in very minor roles with a line or two, and also acting as a "military technical advisor" since he'd had time in the service. Zulu was the first movie to bring him attention though, and it made him a star.

• Thanks 1

I don't know how to dig up that info, so when was the last time they showed PRESSURE POINT?

I know they showed it once at least because it was on TCM that I saw it last.  Just don't remember how long ago...

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Now I was able to track down a VHS copy of it to watch it, but how about Isadora from 1968? The story of Isadora Duncan, it received very strong notices for Vanessa Redgrave. Some hold it to be one of her best performances. But it has never aired on TCM and there is no DVD.

Blog+Art+-+Isadora.jpg

And two other little seen Universal films from the same vintage....

Diary of a Mad Housewife, with a strong, Oscar-Nominated performance from Carrie Snodgress...

Blog+Art+-+Diary+of+a+Mad+Hosuewife8.jpg

And Puzzle of a Downfall Child, which has one of Faye Dunaway's most sadly overlooked performances....

v1.bTsxMTU1MTcyMztqOzE3NjM4OzEyMDA7NTAwO

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

I don't know how to dig up that info, so when was the last time they showed PRESSURE POINT?

I know they showed it once at least because it was on TCM that I saw it last.  Just don't remember how long ago...

Sepiatone

You don't need to dig it up, it would be a rather formidable task.  Instead just look here:
http://moviecollector.us/reports/TCM_SCHEDULES_SUMMARY_alpha.htm

Pressure Point (1962) last shown 2012-09 (Sept 2012) and 2012-01 (Jan 2012).

• Thanks 3

A HEADS UP FOR THREE MOVIES NEVER SHOWN BEFORE ON TCM that are due to be broadcast PRIME TIME TONIGHT!!!

Man in the Wilderness (1971) Never Shown before on TCM
Distributed by Warner Bros., and Directed by Richard C. Sarafian, and featuring Richard Harris, John Huston, Percy Herbert, & Henry Wilcoxon (among others).
This Primitive survival classic is loosely based on a story about fur trapper Hugh Glass who was left for dead after surviving a grizzly encounter in the 1820s.
I really enjoyed this film back when I first saw it, many, many moons ago now!
The most recent screen version being The Revenant (2015) featured Leonardo DiCaprio as the "Glass" character.

Inferno (1953) Never Shown before on TCM
Directed by Roy Ward Baker, Distributed by 20th Century Fox
Features Robert Ryan, Rhonda Fleming, William Lundigan, and Henry Hull.
A Story about an injured rich kid stranded in the desert by his two-timing wife and her boyfriend.
When I first saw this technicolor gem it was on a black & white screen.

Into the Wild (2007) Never Shown before on TCM
Produced and Directed by Sean Penn
Features Emile Hirsch, Marcia Gay Harden, William Hurt, Catherine Keener, Vince Vaughn, and Hal Holbrook (among many others).
A biographical drama adapted from the 1996 book by Jon Krakauer about a young mans journey for "self" that ultimately leads him to experience tragedy in the wilds of Alaska.  
Emile Hirsch portrays Christopher McCandless, the young man who interacts with many, in a two year "self-discovery" journey following his graduation from University in 1990.

This is one of those films that TCM will air this one time and likely not again (at least not for many, many years, if at all) so catch it while you can! (Or preset your DVR's tonight!)

I was living in Alaska in 1992, the time when McCandless made it up there. At that time I thought what an idiot kid.
I wasn't aware of his "whole" story until I read the book about him in 1996.
Then I realized that I had much more in common with this young man than I knew, and it was only by the grace of god, and perhaps just a little more forethought and preparation, that spared me from a similar fate in my first year in the bush!

REGARDING MORE NEVER SEEN ON TCM MOVIES!

Errol Flynn was (and still is) one of my favorite male "action" actors. So much so that I've seen practically everything he's been in or that has been made about him (at least once).
I even ordered a copy of his earliest and rarely seen film, In the Wake of the Bounty (1933) an Ausie "docudrama" in which he played Fletcher Christian. His performance in that one was notably "wooden" and the wig far less believable than the one worn in Captain Blood (1935), but it was worth watching for me to see how far (and rather quickly) he came in his abilities as an actor, in just two short years.

I also ordered Flynn's last released film, Cuban Rebel Girls (1959).
Don't be fooled by the enticing title, as this was actually a "documentary" style film in which Flynn is "acting" as a real life American Correspondent interviewing, filming and narrating during the Cuban revolution at the time. 
I've also read a couple of his books, most notably his autobiography My Wicked, Wicked Ways... (which really should be made into a film).

My fascination with Errol Flynn is rather strange in that the movie that I now perhaps enjoy the most of his (Captain Blood) is one that I had an aversion to when I first saw it as a child. It was the pre-mustachioed, long haired, effeminate looking Flynn, that turned me away at that time. But later my mother showed me some early photos of my eldest uncle who could have been a doppelganger for Flynn. And she told tales of how he exploited his good looks and the popularity of the real Errol Flynn in those days to its fullest and most lascivious manner, that I became intrigued with both his and Errol's (on-screen/off-screen) exploits!

Thinking of Errol Flynn, brings to mind another rarely seen film title ... One that I've never seen aired on TCM.

The Roots of Heaven (1958) a conservation type adventure directed by John Huston, based on a 1956 novel by Romain Gary, and filmed on location in Africa .
Produced by Darryl F. Zanuck, and distributed by 20th Century Fox.
The film is about a ragtag handful of militant misfits (including expatriates and disgraced former military officers) on a mission of self redemption to save elephants from eventual extinction by man, which, if can be done, offers a symbolic example of hope that man may ultimately be able to also save himself from himself.
This is a film with a message that (in 1956-58) was perhaps too far ahead of it's time. Which, despite the cast which includes (along with Flynn) such notables as Trevor Howard, Eddie Albert, Paul Lukas, Herbert Lom, Juliette Gréco, and Orson Welles, evidently failed to find a popular box office audience at its release.
None-the-less, the only time I saw this film was on commercial television back in 1964, and the memory of it has stuck with me ever since.
I think that it would be nice if TCM could acquire the right/s to air it sometime in the near future and perhaps "we" could jointly discuss its merits (or lack thereof) after more of us have recently viewed it.

• Like 3

On 1/3/2018 at 10:56 AM, karlofffan said:

Thanks karlofffan for the fact check. :) I knew better, just said it poorly.
In retrospect, instead of saying "It was Michael Caine's big screen debut," perhaps better (more accurate) wording would have been "It was Michael Caine's big screen lead debut" (the role credited with making him a "star.") ;)
Still would like to see TCM rebroadcast ZULU (1964) again!

On 1/3/2018 at 11:02 AM, sewhite2000 said:

It came up in another thread, but the last time TCM aired Angels with Dirty Faces was December, 2009.

The quintessential childhood buddies, Priest/Gangster flick, which forever cemented Cagney as the "Rocky" character who "turned yellow" to keep the Dead End Kids from idealizing his criminal lifestyle.  
Per moviecollector's XLNT past TCM schedule link, the Last 2x shown were in 2009-12, 2009-10, Shown (51x on TCM)
I recorded it (DVR) in Feb. 2009.

26 minutes ago, Stephan55 said:

A HEADS UP FOR THREE MOVIES NEVER SHOWN BEFORE ON TCM that are due to be broadcast PRIME TIME TONIGHT!!!

Man in the Wilderness (1971) 

Inferno (1953) 

Into the Wild (2007)

REGARDING MORE NEVER SEEN ON TCM MOVIES!

In the Wake of the Bounty (1933)

The Roots of Heaven (1958)

Thanks for the post, Stephan. You and a few others have recommended Inferno, so I'll record it and check it out. 

I really liked Into the Wild. There was a time when I was a similar restless spirit dissatisfied with the status quo and seeking something more, so the story resonated with me.

I somewhat recently saw Man in the Wilderness. I thought it was okay, but nothing special. This was before The Revenant, and when I finally got around to that one, it seemed lesser for having seen the original.

I also recently watched In the Wake of the Bounty on YouTube. I thought it was awful, but I was happy to see Flynn's beginnings.

The Roots of Heaven used to show up on the Fox Movie Channel quite frequently, which is where I saw it.

• Thanks 1

On 1/3/2018 at 11:31 AM, CaveGirl said:

"Buster and Billie" with Jan-Michael Vincent. Typical drive-in fare that turns out not to be typical but very moving.

Buster and Billie (1974) with Jan-Michael Vincent (as Buster) and Joan Goodfellow (as Billie), along with Pamela Sue Martin, (and a pre Nightmare on Elm Street) Robert Englund,  
The title sounds familiar, and i have seen several Jan-Michael Vincent films, so I felt that I must have seen this movie back then, but could not remember it. So checked wicki which noted 
"This film is also notable as one of the earliest American mainstream movies to have male frontal nudity." And filmed in Metter, GA, no less.
It is a Bittersweet romdram that I most certainly would like to see (again, or for the first time) thanks!

On 1/3/2018 at 2:39 PM, Zea said:

I have little recollection of seeing (or not seeing for a terribly long time anyway): "The Petrified Forest", "They Made Me A Criminal", "Dead End", "City For Conquest" and "The Grapes of Wrath". 

Zea

Hi Zea, I see that you just recently joined the boards last month (Dec 2017). I know that doesn't mean that you haven't been a TCM fan for years, but maybe not.
Just want to reassure you that All of the titles you listed TCM has aired numerous times before (several within the last year), and will likely continue doing so!
So stick around and you'll be pretty much guaranteed a repeat viewing opportunity here! :)
Per moviecollector's excellent past TCM schedule link,

City for Conquest (1940) Last 2x shown were 2017-07, 2015-10.  Shown (27x on TCM)
Dead End (1937) Last 2x shown 2017-08, 2016-01. Shown (23x on TCM)
The Grapes of Wrath (1940) Last 2x shown *2018-02, 2017-07. Shown (19x on TCM)
*Check the Feb. 2018 schedule for TGOW next showing!
The Petrified Forest (1936) Last 2x shown 2017-11, 2017-03. Shown (55x on TCM)

They Made Me A Criminal (1939)
Cast: John Garfield, Claude Rains, Gloria Dickson, May Robson, The Dead End Kids.
Last shown? I think I remember seeing it on TCM within the last two years (I DVR'd it in July 2009).

There are many films that I'd like to see on TCM, that have never been aired. How about a Harmony Korine film festival?

gummo1.jpg

Gummo (1997)

• Haha 2

On 1/3/2018 at 5:31 PM, CinemaInternational said:

Now I was able to track down a VHS copy of it to watch it, but how about Isadora from 1968? The story of Isadora Duncan, it received very strong notices for Vanessa Redgrave. Some hold it to be one of her best performances. But it has never aired on TCM and there is no DVD.

And two other little seen Universal films from the same vintage....

Diary of a Mad Housewife, with a strong, Oscar-Nominated performance from Carrie Snodgress...

And Puzzle of a Downfall Child, which has one of Faye Dunaway's most sadly overlooked performances....

Thanks CinemaInternational
I'm a fan of biopics and consider Vanessa Redgrave a fine actress, but sadly I have yet to see

Isadora (1968) biographical film which tells the story of celebrated American dancer Isadora Duncan.
Features Vanessa Redgrave, James Fox, and Jason Robards.

Nor have I seen Puzzle of a Downfall Child (1970) film drama
with Faye Dunaway, Barry Morse, Viveca Lindfors, and Roy Scheider

I did see, Diary of a Mad Housewife (1970) comdram about a frustrated wife portrayed by Carrie Snodgress. With Richard Benjamin and Frank Langella.
But it was so long ago that I would now like to see it again, and the other two for the first time! Thanks :)

On 1/3/2018 at 5:46 PM, MovieCollectorOH said:

You don't need to dig it up, it would be a rather formidable task.  Instead just look here:
http://moviecollector.us/reports/TCM_SCHEDULES_SUMMARY_alpha.htm

This is great MCOH, and what a labor of "love" (or do you have just way to much spare time on your hands?);)

When I was perusing your work I did notice that the movies listed to be shown tonight (for the first time) and listed in the Feb. 2018 schedule, have already been added into your file.
However, sometimes scheduling is preempted, or changed at near the last minute for us viewers, so just wanted to know whether you go back and amend your most recent additions when that happens?

I'd love to see this one again - I have such fond memories of it - and, since it was an Alexander Singer film, I am assmuming SEX was the focal point - but I can't remember if it was good or bad - 

MPW-14896

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, rayban said:

I'd love to see this one again - I have such fond memories of it - and, since it was an Alexander Singer film, I am assmuming SEX was the focal point - but I can't remember if it was good or bad

Now when you can't remember if the sex was good or bad, you were either inebriated (with something or another) at the time, or you are beginning to show your age! :D

Psyche 59 (1964)
Featuring: 
Curt Jurgens, Patricia Neal, Samantha Eggar,
TCM short synopsis:
After being blinded in a mysterious fall, a woman fears her husband is involved with her younger sister.

Per MCOH TCM 20+ yr Schedule last 2x shown were 2011-01, 2010-03. Shown (4x) on TCM.
I DVR'd  it 3/2010, so it has been awhile. I vaguely remember it myself now.... :wub:
The cast is a good one and I think that even for an obscurity it is due for a TCM replay.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, rayban said:

I'd love to see this one again - I have such fond memories of it - and, since it was an Alexander Singer film, I am assmuming SEX was the focal point - but I can't remember if it was good or bad - 

MPW-14896

It's a great film. Mostly about Jurgens' desire for his sister-in-law (Eggar) while Neal deals with her old sibling rivalry issues.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Swithin said:

There are many films that I'd like to see on TCM, that have never been aired. How about a Harmony Korine film festival?

gummo1.jpg

Gummo (1997)

I'm game. :D

Since he is an American director, he couldn't show up on late Sunday nite.
Perhaps Late Saturday night, where TCM airs the more obscure films? Either that or (as you suggest) maybe a mini festival some evening with maybe three or four of Korine's more "popular" films presented with some BM or guest host apropos intro for context.  Definitely a special interest type.

Screen shot 2018-01-12 at 6.00.44 PM.png

More ice skating musicals please, that's my request. They seldom air on TCM and there are some good ones, like Republic's LAKE PLACID SERENADE.

I would also like to see the channel air some classic James Bond films, particularly the ones starring Roger Moore.

• Like 1

A few years back, TCM did an evening spot on Cinerama & showed This is Cinerama & Cinerama Adventure - both were interesting & worth a re-air, whilst another related feature I'd like to see is Cinerama's Russian Adventure, which I think hasn't appeared yet on TCM.

2 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I would also like to see the channel air some classic James Bond films, particularly the ones starring Roger Moore.

Whilst I wouldn't object to uninterrupted showings on TCM, I suspect these might be harder/more expensive to broadcast, given that they turn up on other channels, such as during BBC-America's periodic Bondathons.

10 minutes ago, limey said:

A few years back, TCM did an evening spot on Cinerama & showed This is Cinerama & Cinerama Adventure - both were interesting & worth a re-air, whilst another related featu

Whilst I wouldn't object to uninterrupted showings on TCM, I suspect these might be harder/more expensive to broadcast, given that they turn up on other channels, such as during BBC-America's periodic Bondathons.

Of course. People are just sharing thoughts about what they'd like to see, without letting the realities of TCM's budget get in the way!

I own many of the Bond films on DVD. But it would still be nice to see one or two air on TCM.