Sign in to follow this  
Kateconas

Charles Boyer

27 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

YES! So happy he was FINALLY chosen!!!

Agree!    Boyer had a long and vibrant career.    I haven't seen the line up but TCM should be able to show films from the 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s  and 70s with a mix of comedy, romance and drama that will be a treat.

• Like 1

Here's the lineup:

4th of january

love affair (1939) with irene dunne
all this, and heaven too (1940) with bette davis
lilliom (1934) with madeleine ozeray
conquest (1937) with greta garbo
algiers (1938) with hedy lamarr

5th of january

break of hearts (1935) with katharine hepburn

11th of january

gaslight (1944) with ingrid bergman
hold back the dawn (1941) with olivia de havilland
back street (1941) with margaret sullavan
tales of manhattan (1942) with rita hayworth
the constant nymph (1943) with joan fontaine

12th of january

together again (1944) with irene dunne

18th of january

cluny brown (1946) with jennifer jones
the earrings of madame de... (1953) with danielle darrieux
una parisienne (1957) with brigitte bardot
the happy time (1952) with louis jourdan
the cobweb (1955) with richard widmark
confidential agent (1945) with lauren bacall

25th of january

fanny (1961) with leslie caron
the four horsemen of the apocalypse (1962) with ingrid thulin
love is a ball (1963) with glenn ford
the madwoman of chaillot (1969) with katharine hepburn

26th of january

lost horizon (1973) with peter finch
a matter of time (1976) with ingrid bergman

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Here's the lineup:

back street (1941) with margaret sullavan

together again (1944) with irene dunne

cluny brown (1946) with jennifer jones
una parisienne (1957) with brigitte bardot
the happy time (1952) with louis jourdan
confidential agent (1945) with lauren bacall
the four horsemen of the apocalypse (1962) with ingrid thulin
love is a ball (1963) with glenn ford

lost horizon (1973) with peter finch
a matter of time (1976) with ingrid bergman

These are the titles that I haven't seen. I'll probably record a couple of them. 

Most of the ones that I have seen I would recommend, as well.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

These are the titles that I haven't seen. I'll probably record a couple of them. 

Most of the ones that I have seen I would recommend, as well.

I haven't seen those later ones from the 70s. But I highly recommend BACK STREET (if you like tearjerkers and want a chance to see Tim Holt in a non-western role); CLUNY BROWN (if you like Ernst Lubitsch romantic comedies); and THE HAPPY TIME (a very good comedy-drama with an exceptional cast). TOGETHER AGAIN has a good cast and pairs him up again with Irene Dunne, but the story is a bit contrived.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the list. Was hoping they would have When Tomorrow Comes with Dunne. TCM has never shown that. Oh well, some stuff I havent seen, including Back Street, which I think TCM has shown once but I remembered it was on after it was halfway through the running time, so didnt watch it.

I've seen most of the films scheduled except for Back Street which I had to see to compare with the color Hayward/Gavin/Miles version from the 60s.  No color here but a more honest depiction of what being the mistress of a married man is really like.  Boyer is a sometimes selfish cad as well as lover to her and his anger at his son for siding with his mother over him nearly destroys any sympathy for him.  And even though his wife is rarely seen-as opposed to Vera Miles being a major and whichy character in the later version-you wonder about her and how this must make her feel. (Credit Tim Holt's performance for a good part of this.)

I can't recommend Four Horseman or Love is a Ball as I saw each when they came out and was not impressed.  It's not Boyer's fault; they're just not that good.  If you feel differently, okay.  Four Horseman has a very large cast of recognizable folks so it might be worth seeing for that.   

On 1/3/2018 at 4:12 PM, Hibi said:

Thanks for the list. Was hoping they would have When Tomorrow Comes with Dunne. TCM has never shown that. Oh well, some stuff I havent seen, including Back Street, which I think TCM has shown once but I remembered it was on after it was halfway through the running time, so didnt watch it.

WHEN TOMORROW COMES seems to be locked in Universal's vault.

21 minutes ago, wouldbestar said:

I've seen most of the films scheduled except for Back Street which I had to see to compare with the color Hayward/Gavin/Miles version from the 60s.  No color here but a more honest depiction of what being the mistress of a married man is really like.  Boyer is a sometimes selfish cad as well as lover to her and his anger at his son for siding with his mother over him nearly destroys any sympathy for him.  And even though his wife is rarely seen-as opposed to Vera Miles being a major and whichy character in the later version-you wonder about her and how this must make her feel. (Credit Tim Holt's performance for a good part of this.)

Recently I had a chance to watch the original 1932 pre-code version of BACK STREET on YouTube. Irene Dunne and John Boles play the leads. The cinematography is striking. The sets and costumes are scrumptious. Dunne etches a memorable performance. I think it's the best of the three, though a bit more dated.

Screen shot 2018-01-20 at 3.52.33 PM.png

On 1/20/2018 at 5:44 PM, TopBilled said:

WHEN TOMORROW COMES seems to be locked in Universal's vault.

SAD. :(

On 1/20/2018 at 5:49 PM, TopBilled said:

Recently I had a chance to watch the original 1932 pre-code version of BACK STREET on YouTube. Irene Dunne and John Boles play the leads. The cinematography is striking. The sets and costumes are scrumptious. Dunne etches a memorable performance. I think it's the best of the three, though a bit more dated.

Screen shot 2018-01-20 at 3.52.33 PM.png

Has TCM ever shown this version?

1 minute ago, TopBilled said:

BACK STREET is a Universal property. All three versions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back_Street_(1932_film)

The second version, which TCM aired recently, is also quite good.

Well I guess I just have to say it once again: In the spirit of Ronald Reagan;  Universal - open the vault!  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Well I guess I just have to say it once again: In the spirit of Ronald Reagan;  Universal - open the vault!  

Speaking of Universal, there's another film Charles Boyer made with Margaret Sullavan at that studio in the early 40s. It's called APPOINTMENT FOR LOVE. I'd like to see it. It has a great group of supporting players:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appointment_for_Love

I see. I was thinking it was RKO as Dunne was under contract there. Must've been a loan out. Too bad. :(

2 hours ago, Hibi said:

I see. I was thinking it was RKO as Dunne was under contract there. Must've been a loan out. Too bad. 

RKO also loaned her out to Universal for the first version of MAGNIFICENT OBSESSION in 1935. TCM aired that film a few years ago when Robert Taylor was Star of the Month (he was loaned out by MGM).

Well, maybe there's still hope then. She also did Showboat, but I think she had left RKO at that point......

59 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Well, maybe there's still hope then. She also did Showboat, but I think she had left RKO at that point......

I think she became a freelancer around 1940. She was with RKO for most of the 30s, but made films at Universal and Columbia on loan out during those years.

SHOW BOAT (1936) is in the TCM library because MGM purchased the rights from Universal when it did the Technicolor remake in 1951. MGM had tried to destroy the Irene Dunne version so it would not compete with the remake, but miraculously a copy survived.

I'm pretty sure Dunne left RKO around 36 or 37 and I think it was so she could do Showboat. I forget where I read/heard that though. She still appeared in RKO films frequently as a free lancer.......

21 hours ago, Hibi said:

I'm pretty sure Dunne left RKO around 36 or 37 and I think it was so she could do Showboat. I forget where I read/heard that though. She still appeared in RKO films frequently as a free lancer.......

Oh okay...guess that makes sense. 

No big deal. It's possible I heard that in one of the TCM wraparounds.......

I'd also be interested in seeing the pre-code version of Back Street. I wonder if it's closer to the book than the other two. I found an old paperback copy a few years ago and it's absolutely devastating: she lives out her final years in abject poverty and dies just before an offer of financial help comes from the children. A far cry from Susan Hayward's glam-bot, though I love that one on its own terms.