Sign in to follow this  
NipkowDisc

hot diggity dam! blizzard time!

12 posts in this topic

snow and high winds followed by frigid cold. we're under a blizzard warning here.

some cool weather fun coming my way.

:)

Related image

You can have it.  I'm TIRED of these sub-zero temps.  The WASHER FLUID in my car's washer reservoir even FROZE SOLID!

Sepiatone

• Sad 1

Most go to the beaches in the south to escape it. Bring beach chairs and bikinis.

6930c72adf1edb85f580d1d08c1dca68--myrtle

January%202014%20Myrtle%20Beach%20Courtn

article-2548037-1B0F359C00000578-372_964

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

You can have it.  I'm TIRED of these sub-zero temps.  The WASHER FLUID in my car's washer reservoir even FROZE SOLID!

Sepiatone

My big thing was that the power windows on my vehicle started  mmmmooooovvvviiiiinnggggggg veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy sssssssssssssssssssllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllloooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwllllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyy.

So I disconected them for now, in the up position of course.  Putting my window down in a drive-through is less important than having it all the way up while I am on the freeway.

• Haha 1

:D  Disconnected them?

Wouldn't just NOT USING THEM be less bothersome yet just as effective?  :huh:

Or were there cases in which you accidentally hit the button and opened them?

Sepiatone

1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

:D  Disconnected them?

Wouldn't just NOT USING THEM be less bothersome yet just as effective?  :huh:

Or were there cases in which you accidentally hit the button and opened them?

Sepiatone

Force of habit.  I don't want to risk it.  It took a bit of time getting the window back up.  I don't want to stress the motors any more.  They run fine otherwise.  Simple enough to unsnap the window controls from the armrest on the door, pull out the single molex connector from the back, then snap it back in.  I may do the same on the passenger door too (that would get all the window controls for the vehicle).  On my vehicle, doing that only disconnects the window motors.  I did that in less time than I took to type this.

Snowing for the first time in Tallahassee FL since 1989
http://www.tampabay.com/florida-politics/buzz/2018/01/03/its-snowing-in-floridas-capital-for-the-first-time-since-1989/

Just posting this since I was there in 1989 (actually I was about an hour North of Miami at the time).  In that area there was about a week-long cold spell with frost.  In some areas it even snowed a little.  All the windows around there were single pane which offered next to no insulation (up in OH we have double or triple pane windows - triple is fairly common for newer homes now).  People were pulling long-forgotten space heaters out of their closets and plugging them in all at once.  The electric utility company, Florida Power And Light, had to ration the energy with a rolling brown-out.  The energy was shut off for a few hours at a time on a scheduled basis.  Fun times.

14 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Snowing for the first time in Tallahassee FL since 1989
http://www.tampabay.com/florida-politics/buzz/2018/01/03/its-snowing-in-floridas-capital-for-the-first-time-since-1989/

Just posting this since I was there in 1989 (actually I was about an hour North of Miami at the time).  In that area there was about a week-long cold spell with frost.  In some areas it even snowed a little.  All the windows around there were single pane which offered next to no insulation (up in OH we have double or triple pane windows - triple is fairly common for newer homes now).  People were pulling long-forgotten space heaters out of their closets and plugging them in all at once.  The electric utility company, Florida Power And Light, had to ration the energy with a rolling brown-out.  The energy was shut off for a few hours at a time on a scheduled basis.  Fun times.

Yes, I clearly recall that winter. I'm up in north Florida, east of Tallahassee. We didn't have electric issues back then do to a smaller population, no doubt, but it was cold. We didn't use space heaters, either, as I've never lived in a house without some sort of built-in heating system, usually central heat-n-air. 

We didn't get any snow here this time, but we had a lot of ice on trees. A large section of a pine tree came down in my back yard, due to the ice weight snapping it off. We also lost power in the southern part of the county due to downed lines from an ice-caused tree collapse. 

Can somebody help steer a little of that weather out this way to Sedona, please.

Ya see, last year at this time this ol' SoCal boy experienced his very first white Christmas here, 5" of the stuff in fact, and when the red rocks are layered with it, it makes this place even more beautiful to behold...

550027.jpg

BUT, we haven't seen any measurable rain or snowfall for MONTHS now, and it's surprising me that Arizona hasn't had the same problems with wildfires as California has recently had.

Take today for instance. It's once again supposed to be sunny and in the mid-60s.

(...sorry if this sounds like I'm rubbing it in here...but REALLY, I'd like to to see a little snow around these here parts TOO) 

• Like 1

I was out an about in Manhattan from 6:30am to noon today. Quite something. Have to go out again soon. The wind is complicating things.

46 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Can somebody help steer a little of that weather out this way to Sedona, please.

Ya see, last year at this time this ol' SoCal boy experienced his very first white Christmas here, 5" of the stuff in fact, and when the red rocks are layered with it, it makes this place even more beautiful to behold...

550027.jpg

BUT, we haven't seen any measurable rain or snowfall for MONTHS now, and it's surprising me that Arizona hasn't had the same problems with wildfires as California has recently had.

Take today for instance. It's once again supposed to be sunny and in the mid-60s.

(...sorry if this sounds like I'm rubbing it in here...but REALLY, I'd like to to see a little snow around these here parts TOO) 

You want snow? You got it.

snowball-fight.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Well now they are saying we had a "bomb cyclone".  I'm just glad this "bomb cylone" will be taking a breather sometime next week.