Sign in to follow this  
CaveGirl

Tulpa Time

13 posts in this topic

No, not the song by Don Williams set in Tulsa, but any film focusing on an entity that might be manifested via auto-suggestive means, which exists independently yet seems to live in a parallel state to its symbiotic twin, who came first hopefully.

For me, that term is more than a doppelganger and could be represented well by the character in the Edgar Allan Poe tale called "William Wilson" which was filmed as a part of the three episodes in "Spirits of the Dead" [1968] as directed by Fellini, Malle and Vadim. The Tulpa I am referring to is the character of William Wilson's seeming double, as played by French heartthrob, Alain Delon and as directed by Louis Malle. The whole film is a fun ride with this sequence well done as it the one directed by Federico which showcases the talents of Terence Stamp as a narcissistic movie star, but "William Wilson" still shines with its tulpa rendering theme.

Name the Tulpa you like best in films or on tv, and if you are unfamiliar with the term, just think of the foul Agent Cooper in Lynch's return to "Twin Peaks" recent journey!

While the following would be a lot lighter in tone than your example here CG, may I suggest Danny Kaye's character(s) in 1945's Wonder Man...

...and where after being murdered by gangsters, an exuberant nightclub entertainer returns as a ghost to persuade his meek twin brother to help bring his killers to justice.

I think this might have been my first exposure to the multi-talented Kaye in movies and when I caught this film after school one day as a kid, and although I knew of him at the time because of his television variety show which was popular at the time.

(...and for some reason I still remember being especially tickled by the movie when he started rambling about Brooklyn's Prospect Park to people who have no idea why he's doing so, and in fact as I recall, neither did he for a while in the story...and in fact, it might have also been my first exposure to that oft leading lady of his Virginia Mayo, and when I first got an eyeful of HER...ooh lah lah!!!) ;)

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Dargo said:

(...and for some reason I still remember being especially tickled by the movie when he started rambling about Brooklyn's Prospect Park to people who have no idea why he's doing so, and in fact as I recall, neither did he for a while in the story...and in fact, it might have also been my first exposure to that oft leading lady of his Virginia Mayo, and when I first got an eyeful of HER...ooh lah lah!!!) ;)

...and Vera-Ellen's dance numbers were amazing, too.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

No, not the song by Don Williams set in Tulsa, but any film focusing on an entity that might be manifested via auto-suggestive means, which exists independently yet seems to live in a parallel state to its symbiotic twin, who came first hopefully.

For me, that term is more than a doppelganger and could be represented well by the character in the Edgar Allan Poe tale called "William Wilson" which was filmed as a part of the three episodes in "Spirits of the Dead" [1968] as directed by Fellini, Malle and Vadim. The Tulpa I am referring to is the character of William Wilson's seeming double, as played by French heartthrob, Alain Delon and as directed by Louis Malle. The whole film is a fun ride with this sequence well done as it the one directed by Federico which showcases the talents of Terence Stamp as a narcissistic movie star, but "William Wilson" still shines with its tulpa rendering theme.

Name the Tulpa you like best in films or on tv, and if you are unfamiliar with the term, just think of the foul Agent Cooper in Lynch's return to "Twin Peaks" recent journey!

Mild spoiler alert: Not sure I want to go down this rabbit hole again. I got into arguments with some people on a Twin Peaks: the Return message board (and I'm still in some pain about how little we got to see Agent Cooper with the personality we remembered and the way the show I waited 25 years to see ended so confusingly. Also, I'm aware how ridiculous the show is going to sound to a non-viewer when I start describing it). But my understanding was that Evil Coop was a doppleganger, while Diane and the Dougie Jones we saw both before and after DougieCoop were tulpas, and that there was a distinct difference between the two. The tulpas were sort of artificial constructs created from those little silver balls, while the doppleganger was Cooper's natural "shadow self" who apparently already existed in the Black Lodge and could only come out when Cooper went in. I'm not prepared to passionately defend that point, however, so if you disagree with me, fine.

26 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Mild spoiler alert: Not sure I want to go down this rabbit hole again. I got into arguments with some people on a Twin Peaks: the Return message board (and I'm still in some pain about how little we got to see Agent Cooper with the personality we remembered and the way the show I waited 25 years to see ended so confusingly. Also, I'm aware how ridiculous the show is going to sound to a non-viewer when I start describing it). But my understanding was that Evil Coop was a doppleganger, while Diane and the Dougie Jones we saw both before and after DougieCoop were tulpas, and that there was a distinct difference between the two. The tulpas were sort of artificial constructs created from those little silver balls, while the doppleganger was Cooper's natural "shadow self" who apparently already existed in the Black Lodge and could only come out when Cooper went in. I'm not prepared to passionately defend that point, however, so if you disagree with me, fine.

No, you're right. Tulpas are "manufactured" (someone manufactured youuuu) while dopplegangers are inherently evil versions of oneself in the spirit world/ black lodge.

My own tulpa tells me that Tulsa Time is not really set in Tulsa. It's about

a guy who left Tulsa and headed west and now wishes he was back in

Tulsa. If he was in Tulsa he wouldn't need to set his watch to Tulsa time.

Yes, the tulpa knows.

On 1/4/2018 at 8:54 AM, sewhite2000 said:

I would never disagree with you, SEWhite since I've only just gotten finished watching the boxed set. I just remember hearing the word "Tulpa" during one of the FBI conversations and thought it would be fun to use in a post. Not sure yet exactly what happened in the whole Showtime set, since it is hard to assimilate in one viewing over about a week. I can't believe anyone on a website would want to argue about anything on "Twin Peaks" since that goes against the grain of the show's very open minded interpretation of happenings in my construct. It's kind of like arguing that Agent Cooper might be the second child of Henry from "Eraserhead" by the lady in the radiator since that same zigzag carpeting from the dream sequences in the original TP are seen in the lobby area of Eraserhead's apartment building. One could make up any argumentation about things in Lynch movies like is Diane from "Mulholland Drive" the same Diane from the new series of the return???

Thanks though for your fine contribution to my thread!

Well ... it was a "dark time" of my life I don't care to dwell on! :) Some people on the message boards thought I was the problem, which came as a shock to me, but I did get rather combative, much more so than I ever have on here. Probably because I was so passionate about the show, both old and new. People were making a lot of outrageous claims that something you could see in a freeze frame, for example, was an indication of some incredible plot revelation, and everyone would jump on the bandwagon about this supposed revelation, and I would be the one to say, "I don't know ...", and everyone wanted to know why I was the killjoy who was hatin' on everyone's fun speculation. I became rather unpopular. I would revisit after a day or two and see that people had had great fun making snide comments about me in my absence.

It's not that I was opposed to wild theories. It was just that one person would say something, and then 30 other people would latch on to that theory, and all of them would be saying, THIS is the only legitimate interpretation! Which I found to counterproductive to the spirit of a Lynch work. As you suggest in your post, virtually any interpretation is possible.

Are you saying the new season is out in a boxed set?

This probably doesn't qualify as a tulpa in the Tibetan meaning of the word. Roger Moore made a film in 1970 called The Man Who Haunted Himself. It's a very difficult film to find in the US. It's based on the novel the Strange Case of Harold Pelham. Hitchcock did a 30  minute TV episode with Tom Ewell. Kolchak the Night Stalker and the X-Files both did shows about the subject.

29 minutes ago, jameselliot said:

This probably doesn't qualify as a tulpa in the Tibetan meaning of the word. Roger Moore made a film in 1970 called The Man Who Haunted Himself. It's a very difficult film to find in the US. It's based on the novel the Strange Case of Harold Pelham. Hitchcock did a 30  minute TV episode with Tom Ewell. Kolchak the Night Stalker and the X-Files both did shows about the subject.

The Man Who Haunted Himself  is currently available on FilmStruck, but alas, only for 5 more days. :( 

On 1/4/2018 at 6:00 PM, Vautrin said:

My own tulpa tells me that Tulsa Time is not really set in Tulsa. It's about

a guy who left Tulsa and headed west and now wishes he was back in

Tulsa. If he was in Tulsa he wouldn't need to set his watch to Tulsa time.

Yes, the tulpa knows.

Or he could be Tiny Tim's doppelganger, Vautrin and got lost in a space continuum while singing "Tiptoe through the Tulpas" and he ended up in that Twin Peaks diner, dating Peggy Lipton because he had a crush on her doppelganger who was in the Mod Squad.

On 1/6/2018 at 7:24 AM, sewhite2000 said:

Well ... it was a "dark time" of my life I don't care to dwell on! :) Some people on the message boards thought I was the problem, which came as a shock to me, but I did get rather combative, much more so than I ever have on here. Probably because I was so passionate about the show, both old and new. People were making a lot of outrageous claims that something you could see in a freeze frame, for example, was an indication of some incredible plot revelation, and everyone would jump on the bandwagon about this supposed revelation, and I would be the one to say, "I don't know ...", and everyone wanted to know why I was the killjoy who was hatin' on everyone's fun speculation. I became rather unpopular. I would revisit after a day or two and see that people had had great fun making snide comments about me in my absence.

It's not that I was opposed to wild theories. It was just that one person would say something, and then 30 other people would latch on to that theory, and all of them would be saying, THIS is the only legitimate interpretation! Which I found to counterproductive to the spirit of a Lynch work. As you suggest in your post, virtually any interpretation is possible.

Are you saying the new season is out in a boxed set?

SEW, sorry it took me so long to answer. Yes, the whole series of the Return is out in a boxed set. I think it ranges in price from around 50-60 bucks. I have been germinating on what you wrote originally here about a site dedicated to "Twin Peaks" fans and I think from your description of the fans there, they are totally lacking in any understanding of the work of David Lynch. It is well known amongst advocates of his oeuvre that he presents no explanation of his reveries on film, nor does he ascribe to any singular definition of the events that occurred, which means that any and possibly all interpretations could be valid. To try to say that there is only one explanation of who was in the garbage dumpster in "Mulholland Drive" or what Henry found in his chest of drawers or was doing at the eraser factory, goes against the whole Lynchian world view. So I would have only found your passionate "killjoy" remonstrances to be valid probably. Thanks for posting further info on the faux Lynch site which I shall now avoid.

2 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

Or he could be Tiny Tim's doppelganger, Vautrin and got lost in a space continuum while singing "Tiptoe through the Tulpas" and he ended up in that Twin Peaks diner, dating Peggy Lipton because he had a crush on her doppelganger who was in the Mod Squad.

How about Tiny Tim having a man crush on Clarence Williams III? As for the first

scenario, it's okay, though I find it hard to picture Tiny Tim wearing a cowboy hat.