Sign in to follow this  
lydecker

Practically An Edward Brophy Film Festival Today!

9 posts in this topic

Just saw Edward Brophy in a fairly prominent role in "Nine Lives Are Not Enough" and coming up next is "Steel Against The Sky" with Edward Brophy as steelworker.  Love this guy!  Absolutely one of the "Hollywood Reliables" and a great character actor.  Worked constantly from 1920 to 1960 (the year he died at 65) and has well over 100 credits. He's a gem!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, lydecker said:

Just saw Edward Brophy in a fairly prominent role in "Nine Lives Are Not Enough" and coming up next is "Steel Against The Sky" with Edward Brophy as steelworker.  Love this guy!  Absolutely one of the "Hollywood Reliables" and a great character actor.  Worked constantly from 1920 to 1960 (the year he died at 65) and has well over 100 credits. He's a gem!

Yes,  one of my favorite actor who was very versatile.    Often he play a hood \ shady character with a comic edge but sometime he played a straight hood and was effective.        

58 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Yes,  one of my favorite actor who was very versatile.    Often he play a hood \ shady character with a comic edge but sometime he played a straight hood and was effective.        

Brophy is one of my favorites, too -- one of those character actors who improve every scene they're in. 

You're right that he was versatile, of which his work in the Thin Man series provides examples.  In The Thin Man, he plays the serious tough-guy role of Morelli, who shoots Nick Charles.  Later, in The Thin Man Goes Home, he plays a very comic role as some sort of salesman and old acquaintance of Nick's, if I remember correctly, humorously lurking in the bushes outside the home of Nick's parents.  Very different characters and both very well portrayed by the same actor.

Good old Brophy.  I wish he, and other great character actors like Frank McHugh, were still around today so that I could tell them how enjoyable and essential their work was.  I hope they knew that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Can you remember when he played a straight hood?  I'd love to check out those films.  Always wanted to see him in a more dramatic role.

Loved him in Keaton's "The Cameraman" but I always want to kill him in "Mad Love"!

He is a welcome sight though in almost any film as comic relief, that's for sure.

23 hours ago, lydecker said:

Can you remember when he played a straight hood?  I'd love to check out those films.  Always wanted to see him in a more dramatic role.

He plays a straight hood in The Thin Man and The Whole's Town Talking.

Yea,  both of those films have comic moments and the Brophy character is the butt of some of Nick Charles' jokes but Brophy isn't a comical hood like he was in films like Larceny Inc.

Thread titles such as this one should contain a date or day.  This was actually about movies on yesterday (Jan 5)

Great character actor. Here's my favorite Edward Brophy scene:

• Like 2