Sign in to follow this  
darkblue

The Evolution of #MeToo

91 posts in this topic

Cartoon BrewVerified account @cartoonbrew

How companies respond when employees sexually harass women: Charlie Rose—Fired by PBS/CBS

Chris Savino—Fired by Nick

Eddie Berganza—Fired by DC

Roy Price—Resigned from Amazon

Louis CK—FX cut ties

Kevin Spacey—Netflix cut ties

John Lasseter—DISNEY GIVES 6-MONTH VACATION!?️?️

-----------------------------------------------

Cartoon BrewVerified account @cartoonbrew 4h4 hours ago

Cartoon Brew Retweeted Cartoon Brew

Unanswered question: Why did Bob Iger, Ed Catmull, Jim Morris, and Andrew Millstein give Lasseter a 6-month vacation and then a 6-month consulting gig

instead of letting him go immediately?

It's repulsive that Lasseter is still employed RIGHT NOW by Disney even after all we know.

The InterceptVerified account @theintercept 4h4 hours ago

“Just as our land is being used, women are being used. There’s been abductions and girls being chased. The man camps, they kind of took over.”

@fieldofvision’s new film explores sexual violence as a feature of the Bakken oil boom.

Latimer explores attributes of the boom that go beyond the infrastructure: rising rates of sexual violence, women being bought and sold, and daily harassment by transient male oil workers.

The film raises questions: Should crime and sexual violence be seen as a feature of the oil industry, like an oil derrick? Should women’s fear be considered another kind of fossil fuel pollution, akin to carbon emissions and oil spills?

https://theintercept.com/2018/07/01/nuuca-bakken-oil-boom-sexual-violence/

Cyrus Vance, Jr.Verified account @ManhattanDA

Harvey Weinstein has been indicted on additional charges, including Predatory Sexual Assault.

"This indictment is the result of the extraordinary courage exhibited by the survivors who have come forward."

----------------------------------------------

Cartoon BrewVerified account @cartoonbrew 4h4 hours ago

With new charges, former movie exec (and Pokémon film distributor) Harvey Weinstein now faces life in prison.

McDonald’s Workers Are Striking Against Sexual Harassment — Tying #MeToo to Their Labor Struggle

"... It will be the first nationwide strike specifically targeting sexual harassment in the workplace. The labor action also charts a new course for #MeToo, which has mostly featured women in high-profile and white collar industries. The strike marks a notable step toward shifting #MeToo into a movement inclusive of — and organized by — low-wage workers against corporate America.

Coordinated as a part of the Fight for $15 movement, the strike makes clear that the battle against sexual harassment and assault is inextricable from a broader labor struggle. ....

... For workers in the service industry, sexual harassment and violence is the norm, not the exception. A 2014 survey from the worker advocacy group Restaurant Opportunities Centers United found that nearly 80 percent of women in the industry had experienced some form of sexual harassment from co-workers, as had 70 percent of men. Eighty percent of women and 55 percent of men reported sexual harassment from customers. ...

Celebrated and professionally established women calling out powerful perpetrators gave important voice to the struggle against patriarchal violence and slayed some formidable giants. But it was never scalable as a tactic for workers without an audience and with little leverage over their employers. The decision to strike, therefore, is a crucial deployment of the one leverage workers do have: a collective and visible withdrawal of labor.

“These are low-wage workers. They are the most vulnerable.....

McDonald’s workers have no union representation — an issue that organizers believe has contributed to the pervasiveness of workplace harassment. “If we had a union, things like this wouldn’t happen so much,” .....

https://theintercept.com/2018/09/18/mcdonalds-strike-sexual-harassment-me-too/

1 hour ago, Gershwin fan said:

No such thing as an "incel".

All there is is guys who have no dating success with women. These poor souls have always been with us. Lots of 'em.

But they ain't celibate. They jack it every day.

Owner Mark Cuban To Donate $10 Million After Sexual Harassment Finding Against Mavericks

An NBA investigation finds “numerous instances of sexual harassment and other improper workplace conduct” in the Dallas team’s organization over two decades...

......“This is not something that just is an incident and then it’s over,” Cuban said. “It stays with people. It stays with families. I’m just sorry I didn’t see it. I’m just sorry I didn’t recognize it. And I just hope that out of this we’ll be better.”

“The findings of the independent investigation are disturbing and heartbreaking and no employee in the NBA, or any workplace for that matter, should be subject to the type of working environment described in the report,” NBA Commissioner Adam Silver said in a statement....

...The $10 million that will be donated to women’s groups is four times the amount of money the NBA could have fined the Mavericks under its bylaws. The money will go to “organizations that are committed to supporting the leadership and development of women in the sports industry and combating domestic violence,” the NBA said. ...

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/mark-cuban-10-million-sexual-harassment-dallas-mavericks_us_5ba2bb15e4b0375f8f99b65a?ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000067

4 hours ago, mr6666 said:

The HillVerified account @thehill 1m1 minute ago

Editor of New York Review of Books exits amid controversy over #MeTooMeToo_v3.png essay http://hill.cm/e9UXCdp 

Dne4bidUcAIujq1.jpg

It says he was acquitted of any wrongdoing and it comes across more like they fired him for criticizing Metoo in his essay. I don't think it was fair to fire him for that.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gershwin fan said:

It says he was acquitted of any wrongdoing and it comes across more like they fired him for criticizing Metoo in his essay. I don't think it was fair to fire him for that.

Ian Buruma didn't even write the essay. He was simply the editor who chose to include an essay that another, charged-then-acquitted guy (Jian Ghomeshi), wrote on the subject. And then Buruma was fired/resigned for "providing a platform" for #MeToo criticism. A sad state of affairs.

• Thanks 2

On 9/18/2018 at 6:48 PM, mr6666 said:

McDonald’s Workers Are Striking Against Sexual Harassment — Tying #MeToo to Their Labor Struggle

"... It will be the first nationwide strike specifically targeting sexual harassment in the workplace. The labor action also charts a new course for #MeToo, which has mostly featured women in high-profile and white collar industries. The strike marks a notable step toward shifting #MeToo into a movement inclusive of — and organized by — low-wage workers against corporate America.

Coordinated as a part of the Fight for $15 movement, the strike makes clear that the battle against sexual harassment and assault is inextricable from a broader labor struggle. ....

... For workers in the service industry, sexual harassment and violence is the norm, not the exception. A 2014 survey from the worker advocacy group Restaurant Opportunities Centers United found that nearly 80 percent of women in the industry had experienced some form of sexual harassment from co-workers, as had 70 percent of men. Eighty percent of women and 55 percent of men reported sexual harassment from customers. ...

Celebrated and professionally established women calling out powerful perpetrators gave important voice to the struggle against patriarchal violence and slayed some formidable giants. But it was never scalable as a tactic for workers without an audience and with little leverage over their employers. The decision to strike, therefore, is a crucial deployment of the one leverage workers do have: a collective and visible withdrawal of labor.

“These are low-wage workers. They are the most vulnerable.....

McDonald’s workers have no union representation — an issue that organizers believe has contributed to the pervasiveness of workplace harassment. “If we had a union, things like this wouldn’t happen so much,” .....

https://theintercept.com/2018/09/18/mcdonalds-strike-sexual-harassment-me-too/

funny+Ronald+McDonald+statue+with+women+

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Ian Buruma didn't even write the essay. He was simply the editor who chose to include an essay that another, charged-then-acquitted guy (Jian Ghomeshi), wrote on the subject. And then Buruma was fired/resigned for "providing a platform" for #MeToo criticism. A sad state of affairs.

So true, but why aren't those with TDS calling you out as a Trump supporter,  misogynist,  or even worst someone that is trying to cover up their own crimes.

One is either part of 'us' or they are 'them',  and anyone that offers a nuanced POV is part of 'them.

Yes,  a sad state of affairs.

Donald J. TrumpVerified account @realDonaldTrump

I have no doubt that, if the attack on Dr. Ford was as bad as she says, charges would have been immediately filed with local Law Enforcement Authorities by either her or her loving parents.

I ask that she bring those filings forward so that we can learn date, time, and place!

6:14 AM - 21 Sep 2018
---------------------------------------------------------
Rep. Joe Kennedy IIIVerified account @RepJoeKennedy 7h7 hours ago

Rep. Joe Kennedy III Retweeted Donald J. Trump

2 out of 3 sexual assaults are never reported. Might have something to do with the fact that for every 1,000 rapes, 994 perpetrators walk free.

And the fact that men in power make statements like this one.

----------------------------------------------------

Tammy DuckworthVerified account @SenDuckworth 4h4 hours ago

Heartbroken reading through these #WhyIDidntReport stories. To each survivor out there: you deserve better. You deserve to be heard. And I promise that I’m gonna keep fighting for you, today and every other day, too.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

#WhyIDidntReport inspires survivors in defiance of Trump

"I never filed a police report and it took me 30 years to tell my parents," the actress Alyssa Milano tweeted.

.......... Trump suggested that if those accusations were true, Ford would have filed a police report at the time.

...But thousands of social-media posters rejected that argument, some of them publicly revealing their private pain for the first time. While their reasons for not reporting were varied — fear of public shame, mistrust of authorities, a history of being victimized by members of their own family or a close friend — all were shared in solidarity with Ford. ...

...Patti Davis added. "Perhaps the aging men who are poised to interrogate her, unless they hide behind surrogates, should pause for a moment and think about the courage it takes for a woman to say: Here is my memory. It has haunted me for decades. It changed my life. You need to know about it now because of what is at stake for this country." .....

• Like 1

I Revealed A Priest Abused Me 30 Years Ago. If I’m A Hero, Why Isn’t Christine Blasey Ford?

-Ed Hanratty

Guest Writer

".....I wrote a piece for HuffPost explaining how coming forward about that experience radically changed my life. My story has been featured on NBC’s New York City affiliate. I have been interviewed by multiple local newspapers. I have received well over 1,000 messages directly relating to my revelation, and all of them have showered me with gratitude and praise for my courage.

I have been told that I have saved innumerable lives. I’ve heard that I am a voice for victims who are no longer here to share their tales of abuse. I have learned that I have inspired others to speak out about what they have been through. On dozens of occasions, I have been called a hero (a term I flatly reject, for what it’s worth).....

Republican members of the Senate Judiciary Committee have been careful not to publicly question Blasey’s motives or reputation ― but they don’t have to. They have the entire right-wing echo chamber to do their dirty work for them.

Ann Coulter’s twitter feed has transformed itself into a forum dedicated to Blasey bashing featuring the pundit’s patented petty and sophomoric digs at the professor and retweets from friends and followers offering the same disgusting vitriol.

Conservative social media has whipped itself into a frenzy with attacks on Blasey’s family, memory, motives, professional qualifications and political beliefs.....

....unlike Blasey, I have never been lambasted for waiting 30 years to speak out. Not once. Quite the contrary: Everyone I’ve encountered has understood why it took so long. If you’re fortunate enough never to have experienced an assault, you might not understand how the human psyche can work to suppress traumatic experiences ― or the internal bargaining you engage in to keep yourself safe and as whole as possible in the aftermath of that trauma. What’s more, you probably haven’t come up against the wall of disbelief that so many women face in the aftermath of assault. 

And if you can’t understand what any of this is like or at the very least acknowledge how difficult all this must be, you’re simply unqualified to offer an opinion. ..........

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/priest-abuse-christine-blasey-ford_us_5ba53de4e4b0181540dcd3cc?ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000067

Ok,  Trump said something asinine and stupid related to victims of sexual assault NOT reporting the incident to the proper authorities.   That shouldn't surprise no one.

BUT the real concern here is how too many progressive wish to change the rule of law as it relates to ensuring an accused perpetrator is punished (e.g. jailed,  losing their job,  not getting a job, getting tossed out of college or suspended etc....).

Traditionally progressive have sided with the accused over government authorities or employers when it comes to protecting rights,  due-process and ensuring justice but this isn't the case with allegations of sexual assault or harassment.      E.g. that since one has to 'believe',  testimony from an alleged victim,  with little to no other evidence meets the 'reasonable doubt' standard  (because otherwise one is saying they don't 'believe')???  

NFL players have been suspended after a police investigation has determined that there wasn't enough evidence to charge the man and \ or because the investigation couldn't determine what actually occurred. 

College men kicked out of school based on a very flimsy accusation (even the progressive ACLU came out against the Obama admin recommendations for how colleges should deal with such cases).    

Note that in prior decades this type of justice was used against black men for almost any sexual related incident involving a white girl.   

They should remake To Kill A Mockingbird updating the story to what is going on today.   But we need to find an Atticus Finch

Note that this week Major League Baseball put Addison Russell on administrative leave under their 2015 domestic violence agreement between management and players union,  based on his ex-wife blog post about abuse that occurred while they were married.    MLB didn't investigate these latest allegations.    All a player can do is challenge the leave before an arbitrator.     Russell still gets his pay.    I'm not sure if that is always the case based on the agreement.   

New book from Vanessa Place. Not exactly PC and I imagine it may spark some backlash but I may check this one out.

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/607146/you-had-to-be-there-by-vanessa-place-foreword-by-dave-hickey-afterword-by-natasha-stagg/9781576879009/?clickid=WahzY-3zc2j4xyLx9i1zxXquUkg2%3Au2eNVw9z80&irgwc=1&acparefid=27795_

PRAISE

“It may appear as an act of madness to publish a collection of jokes on rape in our politically correct atmosphere—but it is the right gesture, theoretically and politically. Vanessa Place demonstrates that, when things get really horrible, every gesture of dignity and compassion is a fake, and only humor works: humor which does not make fun of its object but bears witness to our impotence and failure to deal with the object appropriately. No wonder the best films about holocaust are also comedies; sometimes, laughter is the most authentic way to admit our perplexity and despair. Place’s book is for everyone who has the courage to confront the horror of rape without the easy escape into comfortable compassion.” —Slavoj Žižek

SEE LESS

The defenses to Brett Kavanaugh's alleged sexual misconduct expose double standards for whom we consider a predator

How we treat sexual misconduct allegations are dependent on longstanding power dynamics of race, sexuality and gender.

"......But most men and boys are not one drink too many away from perpetrating sexual abuse. Anyone who has ever drank alcohol in excess has probably done something they later regretted, but few commit sex crimes. Alcohol doesn’t cause sexual violence; if it did, it should be illegal. Rather, alcohol is often used by predators as a tool against victims and convenient excuse for their actions.

Our society too often treats women and girls as expendable, and enables boys and men who harm them — especially if they are elite and white. Sexual assaults are crimes of power, and how we treat them are also dependent on longstanding power dynamics of race, sexuality and gender....

the problem with the understanding of what counts as sexual violence depends on the person and the circumstances is that it rarely gets applied to elite white males, who are seen as boys when others are seen as adults — especially when the latter are caught up in acts of violence.

Trayvon Martin was 17 when he was gunned down during a scuffle with George Zimmerman (who was later acquitted of murder); no right wing pundits came to his defense. Instead they argued that, at 17, he was not a boy at all; they argued that Trayvon was old enough to enter the military. ...

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/defenses-brett-kavanaugh-s-alleged-sexual-misconduct-expose-double-standards-ncna912691?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma