Sign in to follow this  
darkblue

The Evolution of #MeToo

47 posts in this topic

Vermont's Only Black Female Lawmaker Resigns Amid Racial Harassment-

Vermont state Rep. Kiah Morris has resigned from office, citing extensive racial harassment and telling The New York Times that the lack of response from local law enforcement has been "stunning."

Morris, who was the only black woman in the state Legislature, announced in August that she wouldn't run for re-election. She wrote that political discourse had become "divisive, inflammatory and at times, even dangerous."

Now she is leaving office even earlier than planned.......

"Beginning at the last election cycle I just started having this uptick of being a really intentional target of a number of different folks that are affiliated with white supremacist groups," she said.

"It's been very harrowing to see not only this happening within the online discourse world but also happening within the real world," she told the member station. "We had propaganda being left underneath the door of the Democratic Party. I had a home invasion, vandalism — even the woods near my house where we go and walk frequently as a family had swastikas painted all over the trees there."

https://www.npr.org/2018/09/28/652524179/vermonts-only-black-female-lawmaker-resigns-amid-racial-harassment?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20180928

Trump and Male Victimhood During #MeToo

In an emotional monologue, Trevor Noah ‘The Daily Show’ host condemned Trump for trying to “convince men that they are the real victims of the #MeToo movement.”

".....Trump’s declaration that it’s a “very scary time for young men” in America, Noah said he realized the president’s “most powerful tool is that he knows how to wield victimhood, he knows how to offer victimhood to the people who have the least claim to it.” Trump is saying that “the real victims of the #MeToo movement are men.”

Noah said that people “take for granted how powerful” that message could be for the (mostly white) men who make up the largest portion of Trump’s base. He said he knows many men think the #MeToo movement has gotten “out of control,” but doesn’t quite understand how they can believe that, reminding the audience that “99.9 percent of men have not been accused” of sexual misconduct....

“If you can convince men that they are the real victims of the #MeToo movement, you get men to fight against the movement that’s really about holding men who are doing bad things accountable,” ..........

“What’s the worst thing that happens to Dr. Ford?” he asked. “She gets mocked by the president of the United States for coming forward with a story about sexual assault.” When her strongest memory from that summer night in 1982 was the guys laughing at her.

“People go, why don’t women come forward?” he added. “Because when you do, the president of the United States will use you as a punchline in front of a crowd.”

Noah then admitted that he finds himself worrying on occasion, “What if I get falsely accused?” But then he realizes the chances of that are exceedingly rare.

“But if you can convince people that they are, in fact, the victims when they are in a position of power, then you have the most powerful tool that you can wield.”

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trevor-noahs-powerful-message-on-trump-and-male-victimhood-during-metoo?via=twitter_page

https://deadline.com/2018/10/helena-bonham-carter-on-weinstein-metoo-55-steps-1202478225/

Helena Bonham Carter On Harvey Weinstein, #MeToo & The Difficulties Surrounding Eleanor Riese Drama ’55 Steps’

Helena Bonham Carter has lifted the lid on a number of controversial subjects including her relationship with Harvey Weinstein, #MeToo and the difficulties surrounding her latest film, 55 Steps.

In an interview with The Guardian, the Fight Club star called Weinstein a “bully” and said that she thought his behavior over the years was “chilling” but added that she never thought it would come back to haunt him.

“I found the way he treated certain people chilling – without any kind of respect. There were many times I disagreed with the way he behaved, and I don’t mean sexually,” she said. “There were times when Harvey asked me to do certain things, and I said no. I knew I was running a thin line. Standing up to him wasn’t an easy thing to do because I knew I could potentially lose work.”

One example she gave of working with Weinstein was on Jean-Pierre Jeunet’s The Young and Prodigious TS Spivet, the 2013 film that the disgraced movie mogul refused to give a wide release to after the director would not re-cut it.  “Harvey wanted me to tell Jeunet to change it. There is a scene in which he hitchhikes and Harvey said as soon as that kid gets into a truck everyone will think the truck driver is a child molester and all the kids in America will be freaked out. I said: ‘I don’t think you’re right, and I’m not going to tell Jean-Pierre Jeunet I know better than him.’ [Harvey said] ‘You’ve got to tell that arrogant **** he’s being a ****, he doesn’t know the American market like I do.’ I found it revolting.”

Bonham Carter said that she “was aware” that certain actresses had had sex with him “but I thought it was consensual”.  She added: “Nobody is wholly bad and nobody is wholly good. He was very clever. There are a lot of reasons he was very powerful. He knew how to get you Oscar nominations. Both my nominations are due to him. And he had great taste in films.”

She believes that the #MeToo movement was “definitely a good thing”. “Any kind of abuse is not on. But I think one has to be careful. You have to be absolutely rigorous about what somebody has done to stand up and accuse them. You have to honour #MeToo.”

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2018/10/25/powe-o25.html

New York Times celebrates downfall of 201 “powerful men:” The ugly face of the #MeToo campaign

The New York Times published a crude and revealing article October 23, “#MeToo Brought Down 201 Powerful Men. Nearly Half of Their Replacements Are Women.”

The piece, credited to seven authors, inadvertently points toward an important truth: the #MeToo campaign is fundamentally an effort by a layer of upper middle class women to advance their economic interests at the expense of their male rivals. The selfish and mercenary motives help explain why the sexual harassment crusade resorts to the foul methods of the smear campaign and the political witch-hunt.

The Times credits the allegations of sexual harassment and assault against film producer Harvey Weinstein, published last October in its own pages and in the New Yorker magazine, with having opened the floodgates. The article gloats that the newspaper’s research indicates that “at least 200 prominent men have lost their jobs after public allegations of sexual harassment. … And nearly half of the men who have been replaced were succeeded by women.”

The Times does not bother to evaluate the truth or non-truth of the accusations. The authors begin from the assumption that allegations are to be accepted at face value—or, more cynically, that they are useful as part of a gender purge.

I feel truly sorry for these unfortunate, powerful, and prominent men.

It is a sorrow so deep I can't even put it into words. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

I feel truly sorry for these unfortunate, powerful, and prominent men.

It is a sorrow so deep I can't even put it into words. 

Please ignore the clickbait title. The point of the full article is that the corrupt men end up being replaced with equally corrupt women and in the end nothing really changes. The quote from Luxemburg in the article sums it up in one paragraph-

This is rubbish hardly worth replying to. It is not even necessary to accept Rosa Luxemburg’s contention in 1912 that bourgeois women, equipped with full political rights, “would certainly be a good deal more reactionary than the male part of their class” to recognize that the female of the capitalist species is at least as vicious and exploitive as the male. Workers at PepsiCo, General Motors, General Dynamics, Lockheed Martin, IBM and HP Enterprise, all firms currently blessed with female CEOs, would be able to testify to that reality.

2 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

Please ignore the clickbait title. The point of the full article is that the corrupt men end up being replaced with equally corrupt women and in the end nothing really changes. The quote from Luxemburg in the article sums it up in one paragraph-

This is rubbish hardly worth replying to. It is not even necessary to accept Rosa Luxemburg’s contention in 1912 that bourgeois women, equipped with full political rights, “would certainly be a good deal more reactionary than the male part of their class” to recognize that the female of the capitalist species is at least as vicious and exploitive as the male. Workers at PepsiCo, General Motors, General Dynamics, Lockheed Martin, IBM and HP Enterprise, all firms currently blessed with female CEOs, would be able to testify to that reality.

I don't think this is about corrupt women replacing corrupt men, especially as not all the

men were replaced by women and we don't know if the women are corrupt. It's about

men in powerful positions doing the things they have done for decades finally being

called to account for their actions. It's a long time overdue. Sure, they are of the same

economic class, but to me this is more about male behavior than class behavior, which

is, for the most part, a separate topic. Whether bourgeois women are more reactionary

than bourgeois men is not at all clear to me.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Vautrin said:

I don't think this is about corrupt women replacing corrupt men, especially as not all the

men were replaced by women and we don't know if the women are corrupt. It's about

men in powerful positions doing the things they have done for decades finally being

called to account for their actions. It's a long time overdue. Sure, they are of the same

economic class, but to me this is more about male behavior than class behavior, which

is, for the most part, a separate topic. Whether bourgeois women are more reactionary

than bourgeois men is not at all clear to me.

Well the article is specifically referring to an NYT article called "#MeToo Brought Down 201 Powerful Men. Nearly Half of Their Replacements Are Women.” The NYT article is implying that this is somehow better and more fair. It even quotes the Times as saying “Research has repeatedly shown that women tend to lead differently. In general, they create more respectful work environments, where harassment is less likely to flourish and where women feel more comfortable reporting it. Female leaders tend to hire and promote more women; pay them more equally; and make companies more profitable. Women bring their life experiences and perspectives to decision-making, and that can help in business because women make the vast majority of purchasing decisions. In government, women have been shown to be more collaborative and bipartisan, and promote more policies supporting women, children and social welfare.” The Times article is attempted to be rebuked by saying that the fundamental power system and hierarchy still allows exploitation to occur and that Metoo is being used as a way for the gender of one class to attempt to gain leverage from another and doesn't do anything to truly address the problems of hierarchy that allow such harassment and unfair treatment to occur in the first place. 

3 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

Well the article is specifically referring to an NYT article called "#MeToo Brought Down 201 Powerful Men. Nearly Half of Their Replacements Are Women.” The NYT article is implying that this is somehow better and more fair. It even quotes the Times as saying “Research has repeatedly shown that women tend to lead differently. In general, they create more respectful work environments, where harassment is less likely to flourish and where women feel more comfortable reporting it. Female leaders tend to hire and promote more women; pay them more equally; and make companies more profitable. Women bring their life experiences and perspectives to decision-making, and that can help in business because women make the vast majority of purchasing decisions. In government, women have been shown to be more collaborative and bipartisan, and promote more policies supporting women, children and social welfare.” The Times article is attempted to be rebuked by saying that the fundamental power system and hierarchy still allows exploitation to occur and that Metoo is being used as a way for the gender of one class to attempt to gain leverage from another and doesn't do anything to truly address the problems of hierarchy that allow such harassment and unfair treatment to occur in the first place. 

Maybe that is what the research shows, so there is less sexual predation when these guys are

gone. And how many of the women who complained about sexual harassment actually succeeded

the executive they brought the complaint against? I doubt there were many who did. I also doubt

they did it so another woman could take the place of that executive. Of course there is non-sexual

exploitation too and maybe there will be no improvement there, but at least one type of exploitation

will be lessened. 

Miami HeraldVerified account @MiamiHerald 9h9 hours ago

Multimillionaire Jeffrey Epstein was accused of sexually assaulting dozens of teen girls.

Their stories were dismissed by prosecutors, who cut Epstein a lenient deal.

His victims have never had a voice, until now.

Part 1 of #PerversionofJustice:

===========================================

How future Trump Cabinet member,  labor secretary, Alexander Acosta, gave a serial sex abuser the deal of a lifetime -

.......Facing a 53-page federal indictment, Epstein could have ended up in federal prison for the rest of his life.

But on the morning of the breakfast meeting, a deal was struck — an extraordinary plea agreement that would conceal the full extent of Epstein’s crimes and the number of people involved.

Not only would Epstein serve just 13 months in the county jail, but the deal — called a non-prosecution agreement — essentially shut down an ongoing FBI probe into whether there were more victims and other powerful people who took part in Epstein’s sex crimes,........

This is the story of how Epstein, bolstered by unlimited funds and represented by a powerhouse legal team, was able to manipulate the criminal justice system, and how his accusers, still traumatized by their pasts, believe they were betrayed by the very prosecutors who pledged to protect them.

“I don’t think anyone has been told the truth about what Jeffrey Epstein did,’’ said one of Epstein’s victims, Michelle Licata, now 30. “He ruined my life and a lot of girls’ lives. People need to know what he did and why he wasn’t prosecuted so it never happens again.”......

“The damage that happened in this case is unconscionable,” said Bradley Edwards, a former state prosecutor who represents some of Epstein’s victims.

“How in the world, do you, the U.S. attorney, engage in a negotiation with a criminal defendant, basically allowing that criminal defendant to write up the agreement?”.....

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/article220097825.html

• Thanks 1

Cops worked to put serial sex abuser Epstein, in prison.

Prosecutors worked to cut him a break

Read more here:

".........Long before #MeToo became the catalyst for a women’s movement about sexual assault — and a decade before the fall of Harvey Weinstein, Bill Cosby and U.S. Olympic gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar — there was Jeffrey Edward Epstein.

Epstein, a multimillionaire hedge fund manager whose friends included a constellation of entertainers, politicians, business titans and royalty, for years lured teenage girls to his Palm Beach mansion as part of a cult-like sex pyramid scheme, police in the town of Palm Beach found.......

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/article214210674.html