Sign in to follow this  
marcar

Jerry Van Dyke dead

14 posts in this topic

Just read that Jerry Van Dyke (brother of Dick Van Dyke) died at the age of 86. He was most famous for his role on the TV show "Coach" and "My Mother the Car" (if anyone like me is old enough to remember that one( but he was in the movies, such as "McClintock".  Here's his obit:

hishttps://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/jerry-van-dyke-star-of-‘coach’-dead-at-86/ar-BBHWB7V?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp 

Sad to see him go. The only things I've seen him in are "DVD Show" and the 1963 film, The Courtship of Eddie's Father, in which he stole the show in the comedy department, I thought. RIP, Jerry. :mellow:

• Like 1

And to Rob Petrie's sleepwalking brother Stacey, we say, so long, Burford.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, NickAndNora34 said:

Sad to see him go. The only things I've seen him in are "DVD Show" and the 1963 film, The Courtship of Eddie's Father, in which he stole the show in the comedy department, I thought. RIP, Jerry. :mellow:

He was also in two episodes of The Mary Tyler Moore Show.  He portrayed Wes Callison, a writer on the "Chuckles the Clown" program at WJM.  He hates having to write the corny jokes and wants to be a stand-up comedian and later wants to be on the news program.  Mary is caught in the middle as Wes' girlfriend and as someone who is in a position where she could get him on the news.  

• Like 2

This must be such a sad time for Dick Van Dyke. Brother Jerry now joins Rose Marie and Mary Tyler Moore.

• Sad 1

His more recent work was in the role of PATRICIA HEATON'S  character's Dad TAG on the sitcom THE MIDDLE.  He was a hoot then too.

Really sorry to learn this.  RIP Jerry.

Sepiatone

With both of them projecting that hangdog persona throughout their careers, I have to say I always felt if you'd exchange Jerry's banjo for a guitar, you'd end up with George Gobel.

Although with that being said, I always liked both of these comedian/actors.

(...R.I.P., funny man)

I've always known who he was, though I haven't actually seen much of his work. The only movies of his I've ever seen were The Courtship of Eddie's Father and Palm Beach Weekend, but I'm looking at his imdb resume, and you can pretty much count the number of movies he was ever in on two hands. The vast majority of his work was on television.

1 minute ago, sewhite2000 said:

I've always known who he was, though I haven't actually seen much of his work. The only movies of his I've ever seen were The Courtship of Eddie's Father and Palm Beach Weekend, but I'm looking at his imdb resume, and you can pretty much count the number of movies he was ever in on two hands. The vast majority of his work was on television.

Jerry was a regular on The Judy Garland Show which Get-TV showed last year and this is what I mostly remember him for.     

• Thanks 1

doan forget about jerry van dyke as andy griffith's no-account moonshine-making brother-in-law emery in angel in my pocket.

:D

6 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

He was also in two episodes of The Mary Tyler Moore Show.  He portrayed Wes Callison, a writer on the "Chuckles the Clown" program at WJM.  He hates having to write the corny jokes and wants to be a stand-up comedian and later wants to be on the news program.  Mary is caught in the middle as Wes' girlfriend and as someone who is in a position where she could get him on the news. 

It's a very funny bit when they do the news live from their desks, and Van Dyke is drunk in the background.

15 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

doan forget about jerry van dyke as andy griffith's no-account moonshine-making brother-in-law emery in angel in my pocket.

:D

He also appeared on The Andy Griffith Show as a replacement for Barney in the episode "Banjo-Playing Deputy".

14 hours ago, shutoo said:

It's a very funny bit when they do the news live from their desks, and Van Dyke is drunk in the background.

Yes.  They are trying a new, informal format for the news and Van Dyke keeps interrupting the broadcast with his drunken ramblings and per usual in WJM's newscasts, especially when they try something different, the whole thing is a disaster.