NickAndNora34

Singin' With No Pain

18 posts in this topic

What are some movie musicals that are either your favorites or are pretty dang near flawless (in your opinion)? There are some that I think are just a touch unbearable, like Jesus Christ Superstar (Norman Jewison). 

I personally think both The Music Man (1962) and My Fair Lady (1964) would have to be my votes. These two I can watch over and over, regardless of the time of day or my mood. When I first was introduced to Music Man, I watched it approximately 4 times in a week. 

23 minutes ago, NickAndNora34 said:

What are some movie musicals that are either your favorites or are pretty dang near flawless (in your opinion)? There are some that I think are just a touch unbearable, like Jesus Christ Superstar (Norman Jewison). 

I personally think both The Music Man (1962) and My Fair Lady (1964) would have to be my votes. These two I can watch over and over, regardless of the time of day or my mood. When I first was introduced to Music Man, I watched it approximately 4 times in a week. 

So afterward N&N, did people give you funny looks along the Esplanade bike path while you cycled past them singing "Shipoopi"??? ;)

(...yeah, I can watch The Music Man over and over again myself, 'cause after Singin' in the Rain, it's probably my second favorite musical of all time)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dargo said:

So afterward N&N, did people give you funny looks along the Esplanade bike path while you cycled past them singing "Shipoopi"??? ;)

(...yeah, I can watch The Music Man over and over again myself, 'cause after Singin' in the Rain, it's probably my second favorite musical of all time)

It wasn't a bike, it was a skateboard. While singing showtunes in public, I prefer to maintain some level of cool. 

• Haha 1

My vote goes to Meet Me in St. Louis. Wonderful songs, most of which became hits. Great performances by the cast (with the possible exception of the somewhat wooden Lucille Bremer, but I happen to like her). Charming story, beautiful costumes and sets, sensitive direction and Judy Garland at her best. The production was troubled, with many delays and other problems, but you'd never know it from what's on the screen.

• Like 1

My vote would go to Singin' in the Rain (the only flaw, imo, are Debbie Reynolds' three singing voices) with a close second going to Meet Me in St. Louis.  

I would also choose:

An American in Paris

Funny Face

Swing Time

On the Town

Easter Parade

• Like 1

2 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

My vote would go to Singin' in the Rain (the only flaw, imo, are Debbie Reynolds' three singing voices) with a close second going to Meet Me in St. Louis.  

I would also choose:

An American in Paris

Funny Face

Swing Time

On the Town

Easter Parade

RE: Debbie Reynolds. What is up with that? It's kind of like "inception" or something. A voice within a voice within a voice. I always found it funny that Debbie was in a movie that  involved dubbing voices, and her character of Kathy Selden supposedly dubbed Lina Lamont's speaking and singing voices, but Debbie's speaking and singing voices were dubbed for Jean Hagen.... it's kind of confusing if you think about it long enough. I don't know if people were supposed to not notice that Debbie's Lina-singing and Lina-speaking voices sounded nothing like her "Good Morning" speaking & singing voices. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NickAndNora34 said:

RE: Debbie Reynolds. What is up with that? It's kind of like "inception" or something. A voice within a voice within a voice. I always found it funny that Debbie was in a movie that  involved dubbing voices, and her character of Kathy Selden supposedly dubbed Lina Lamont's speaking and singing voices, but Debbie's speaking and singing voices were dubbed for Jean Hagen.... it's kind of confusing if you think about it long enough. I don't know if people were supposed to not notice that Debbie's Lina-singing and Lina-speaking voices sounded nothing like her "Good Morning" speaking & singing voices. 

The only thing I can think of is that maybe Gene Kelly and Stanley Donen didn't think that Debbie's voice would look right coming out of Jean Hagen's mouth? They should have just had the woman who dubs Debbie for the "You Are My Lucky Star" song dub the Kathy dubbing for Lina scene too.  At least that could have explained how Debbie's voice kinda sounds different in a ballad-type song like 'Star' than in a song like "Good Morning." 

The inconsistency with Debbie's voice also extends to Jean Hagen.  She's portrayed as having one voice when she sings as Lina in "The Dancing Cavalier," but then has Debbie Reynolds' real voice when she sings "Singin' in the Rain" at the end of the film. 

Have you ever noticed in films that it's always the woman's voice who is dubbed? Unless of course, you are someone like Judy Garland, Lena Horne, etc. then obviously your own voice will be used.  Movies rarely dub men's voices.  Even people like Fred Astaire or Gene Kelly, who don't have the strongest of singing voices, will have their voice used in the film. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Have you ever noticed in films that it's always the woman's voice who is dubbed? Unless of course, you are someone like Judy Garland, Lena Horne, etc. then obviously your own voice will be used.  Movies rarely dub men's voices.  Even people like Fred Astaire or Gene Kelly, who don't have the strongest of singing voices, will have their voice used in the film. 

I've noticed this. One fun fact: Actor Dana Andrews was a trained opera singer, but in the movie musical State Fair (1945) his voice was dubbed since the studio didn't know of his talent. " He later explained that he didn't correct their mistake because he felt the singer dubbing him probably needed the money." (quote from imdb.com) 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, NickAndNora34 said:

I've noticed this. One fun fact: Actor Dana Andrews was a trained opera singer, but in the movie musical State Fair (1945) his voice was dubbed since the studio didn't know of his talent. " He later explained that he didn't correct their mistake because he felt the singer dubbing him probably needed the money." (quote from imdb.com) 

Interesting.  I cannot picture Dana Andrews as an opera singer.  I wonder if there is a film where he shows off his talent? Though, opera isn't my favorite type of music, but I'm curious...

3 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Actually, Fred Astaire had a fine voice and style, and was greatly valued by such composers as Gershwin, Berlin, and Porter.  He was their choice for introducing some of their most iconic songs.  And though others have covered the songs he introduced, including Sinatra, Fitzgerald, and Holiday, many of his versions are still the best.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

The only thing I can think of is that maybe Gene Kelly and Stanley Donen didn't think that Debbie's voice would look right coming out of Jean Hagen's mouth? They should have just had the woman who dubs Debbie for the "You Are My Lucky Star" song dub the Kathy dubbing for Lina scene too.  At least that could have explained how Debbie's voice kinda sounds different in a ballad-type song like 'Star' than in a song like "Good Morning." 

The inconsistency with Debbie's voice also extends to Jean Hagen.  She's portrayed as having one voice when she sings as Lina in "The Dancing Cavalier," but then has Debbie Reynolds' real voice when she sings "Singin' in the Rain" at the end of the film. 

6 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Fred Astaire introduced so many great American pop standards because the composers felt he had an excellent voice for rhythmic music due to his tap dancing ability and an excellent voice for lyrical music due to his balletic Ballroom ability. In other words he could get his voice to duplicate his dancing ability.

George and Ira Gershwin first we're thrilled to get Fred Astaire  on Broadway and then came Cole Porter--after that the great composers just came pouring in wanting to work with Fred Astaire, so he could sing as well as dance to their music.

It's no coincidence that he worked with George and Ira Gershwin, Irving Berlin and Cole Porter more than once in his career.

Fred Astaire's first solo Musical on Broadway was written by Cole Porter and his last MGM Technicolor musical was written by Cole Porter. In fact Cole Porter actually wrote a special song just for Fred Astaire in Silk  Stockings that was not in the original Broadway show.

Also, Fred Astaire may be the only dancer who has an unbelievable recording compilation. In all of his critically- acclaimed TV specials, he was careful to include a medley of songs that he had introduced because they were so popular with his fans. Fortunately I have a cassette tape of just the medleys from those TV specials because they were, indeed, special.

Whereas, Gene Kelly had a very limited voice that he used to the best of his ability, but I don't think anybody was knocking themselves out to buy his vocal recordings.

You might say in Hollywood Fred Astaire was nearly as famous for his singing as he was for his dancing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/7/2018 at 3:03 PM, speedracer5 said:

...Have you ever noticed in films that it's always the woman's voice who is dubbed? Unless of course, you are someone like Judy Garland, Lena Horne, etc. then obviously your own voice will be used.  Movies rarely dub men's voices.  Even people like Fred Astaire or Gene Kelly, who don't have the strongest of singing voices, will have their voice used in the film. 

Not always though, speedy.

I happened to catch the so-so and actually pretty darn forgettable 1954 musical The French Line on TCM a few months back. It starred Jane Russell fresh off her Gentlemen Prefer Blondes triumph, and her leading man was Gilbert Roland.

Roland does a number in it with a number of young beauties titled "With a Kiss". Here's the clip of it...

(...and while I can't find anywhere on the net as to who it was that dubbed his singing voice, I'd bet that that wasn't Gilbert actually crooning this little tune here)

• Like 1

Here are a few more male voices that were dubbed for films

Lee Bowman was dubbed by Hal Derwin in the film MY DREAM IS YOURS

Christopher Plummer was dubbed by Bill Lee in THE SOUND OF MUSIC

Tom Drake was dubbed by Bill Lee in the film WORDS AND MUSIC

Victor Mature was dubbed by Ben Gage in the film MY GAL SAL

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Lav-- This reminds me of Russ Tamblyn and he just had a birthday!

To this day, he is still angry that Tucker Smith dubbed him in the Jet Song.

On 1/12/2018 at 7:50 AM, lavenderblue19 said:

Bill Lee also dubbed Ben Wright's voice (Roger) in Disney's 101 Dalmatians. 

I know some may find it too syrupy and sentimental, but to me there is no musical that will EVER beat THE SOUND OF MUSIC for musical perfection. 

Though SINGIN' IN THE RAIN certainly does give it a run for its money.

6 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I know some may find it too syrupy and sentimental, but to me there is no musical that will EVER beat THE SOUND OF MUSIC for musical perfection. 

Though SINGIN' IN THE RAIN certainly does give it a run for its money.

I agree that Sound of Music is the definition of perfection. This was one of the first movies I remember ever watching; I knew all the music and most of the dialogue by the time I was about 6 years old. 

• Like 1

West Side Story was easily the greatest movie musical ever made. The many others that were extremely well-done pale in comparison to this masterpiece of movie-making. With the collaboration of the greatest writer who ever lived, WSS transcends "movie" and enters the world of classic art.