Sign in to follow this  
Sterling Silver

Share your thots on Eartha Kitt Day

26 posts in this topic

(In 2018 we celebrate Eartha Kitt Day's 2nd year Gov.Nikki Haley signed the bill into law in May 2016!)

Eartha Kitt Day Interviews - YouTube

www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWwoIQcpLp8

Eartha Kitt Day Interviews - On Saturday January 14th, 2017 The Town of North South Carolina Honored The Life of World Movie, Television and Recording Star ..

• Like 1

Thanks Sterling Silver for the thread. Welcome to the message boards.

I tend to think of her as a singer more than an actress. Love the dance song 'WHERE IS MY MAN' which she recorded in 1983.

As for her movies, I'd say that she gives a very impressive performance in ANNA LUCASTA (1958).

• Like 1

This interview always has me chuckling. The way she just starts cackling when the interviewer asks her about compromising for a man is hilarious. 

• Thanks 1

Eartha Kitt had great success as a young actress/singer in New Faces of 1952, in which she sang "Monotonous" and other songs. I saw a revival of that show in 1982, presented by Equity Library Theatre, which gave young actors the opportunity to appear in limited productions. One of the young actors -- the one who played the part that Eartha Kitt played -- got a higher paying gig during the run, so ELT let her go and got Eartha Kitt to reprise her performance of 30 years earlier. I got to see her, she was wonderful!

Here's Ms. Kitt singing one of her songs in the original production. The reason I understood the lyric "Sherman Billingsley even cooks for me" was because we learned in school that Billingsly's Stork Club did not serve black people.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

whatza thot?:huh:

I doan know.

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, Swithin said:

Eartha Kitt had great success as a young actress/singer in New Faces of 1952, in which she sang "Monotonous" and other songs. I saw a revival of that show in 1982, presented by Equity Library Theatre, which gave young actors the opportunity to appear in limited productions. One of the young actors -- the one who played the part that Eartha Kitt played -- got a higher paying gig during the run, so ELT let her go and got Eartha Kitt to reprise her performance of 30 years earlier. I got to see her, she was wonderful!

Here's Ms. Kitt singing one of her songs in the original production. The reason I understood the lyric "Sherman Billingsley even cooks for me" was because we learned in school that Billingsly's Stork Club did not serve black people.

It was only recently that I found out about the racism at The Stork Club. There was a big brouhaha over  Josephine Baker not being served there.  Since she was a big star in Europe, Josephine was used to going to the very best nightclubs in London, Paris and Rome and was shocked that she  wasn't being promptly served in a New York City nightclub. LOL

A young aspiring actress named Grace Kelly was also there that night and viewed the whole thing. Years later as Princess Grace, Grace Kelly came to Josephine Baker's financial aid for her French orphanage. I can't help but think that Grace Kelly was trying to make up for all that ugliness all those years ago.

2 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

It was only recently that I found out about the racism at The Stork Club. There was a big brouhaha over  Josephine Baker not being served there.  Since she was a big star in Europe, Josephine was used to go into the very best nightclubs in London, Paris and Rome and was shocked that she  wasn't being promptly served in a New York City nightclub. LOL

A young aspiring actress named Grace Kelly was also there that night and viewed the whole thing. Years later as Princess Grace, Grace Kelly came to Josephine Baker's financial aid for her French orphanage. I can't help but think that Grace Kelly was trying to make up for all that ugliness all those years ago.

I am not sure which club it was, but Marilyn Monroe found out that Ella Fitzgerald was not allowed to perform at a club on the basis of her race.  Marilyn promised the club owners that if they would let Ella perform, Marilyn would come to each performance and sit front and center. And they did. And she did. 

I'm not sharing my thots with anyone. How rude can you get?

But ... let's talk about Eartha Kitt. Yeah ...

Let's Do It.

:D

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, laffite said:

Isn't Thots supposed to be one of the Egyptian gods?thothbook.jpg

11 hours ago, Swithin said:

Eartha Kitt had great success as a young actress/singer in New Faces of 1952, in which she sang "Monotonous" and other songs. I saw a revival of that show in 1982, presented by Equity Library Theatre, which gave young actors the opportunity to appear in limited productions. One of the young actors -- the one who played the part that Eartha Kitt played -- got a higher paying gig during the run, so ELT let her go and got Eartha Kitt to reprise her performance of 30 years earlier.

I'd only seen NFo52 when the low-budget movie version surfaced on Amazon Prime--

So, the actors in the new production imitated tributes to Kitt, Robert Clary, Paul Lynde, etc.?  I don't see anyone actually wanting to revive the actual sketches or songs themselves, and as a revue, it was never exactly designed as a plot-central show.

10 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

I figured "thot" was the way CANADIANS pronounced "that". ;)  Or "theraboots" :D

Sepiatone

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, EricJ said:

Isn't Thots supposed to be one of the Egyptian gods?

I don't know, but whatever or whoever, they are excessively unattractive.

9 hours ago, laffite said:

But ... let's talk about Eartha Kitt. Yeah ...

Let's Do It.

:D

A very talented women.    While she was a serious artist she also understood the celebrity side of show biz.

17 hours ago, EricJ said:

I'd only seen NFo52 when the low-budget movie version surfaced on Amazon Prime--

So, the actors in the new production imitated tributes to Kitt, Robert Clary, Paul Lynde, etc.?  I don't see anyone actually wanting to revive the actual sketches or songs themselves, and as a revue, it was never exactly designed as a plot-central show.

No -- they certainly weren't trying to imitate the actors from 30 years before. It's a show that was for "New Faces," meaning young actors just breaking in to the business. It's a well remembered and respected Broadway show, so a revival with a new crop of young actors in a 1982 off-Broadway limited run made sense. Since it had a showcase aspect, one of the actors did get a better paying gig and left. Since Ms. Kitt was in town and knew the part, it was a nice touch -- and very gracious of her -- to step in.

It has a great score, including "Love Is a Simple Thing," which became a standard. And the "Lizzie Borden" song was recorded by the Chad Mitchell Trio (who were not in the show).

• Thanks 1

Swith-- what a blast from the past with the Chad Mitchell Trio! I had forgotten how much I liked that song and how they could be just as funny as The Kingston Trio-- But The MTA was the funniest.

4 hours ago, Swithin said:

No -- they certainly weren't trying to imitate the actors from 30 years before. It's a show that was for "New Faces," meaning young actors justing breaking in to the business. It's a well remembered and respected Broadway show, so a revival with a new crop of young actors in a 1982 off-Broadway limited run made sense. Since it had a showcase aspect, one of the actors did get a better paying gig and left. Since Ms. Kitt was in town and knew the part, it was a nice touch -- and very gracious of her -- to step in.

It has a great score, including "Love Is a Simple Thing," which became a standard. And the "Lizzie Borden" song was recorded by the Chad Mitchell Trio (who were not in the show).

On 1/7/2018 at 6:33 PM, NipkowDisc said:

I believe it is a slang word commonly used among millenials. If I were you, I'd look at Urban Dictionary. I don't know if I care to outline it here on the boards, unless I can do so diplomatically. Here goes: The "Roxanne" that The Police sang about would have some of these qualities, I believe. 

2 hours ago, NickAndNora34 said:

I believe it is a slang word commonly used among millenials. If I were you, I'd look at Urban Dictionary. I don't know if I care to outline it here on the boards, unless I can do so diplomatically. Here goes: The "Roxanne" that The Police sang about would have some of these qualities, I believe. 

Apparently showing my age, I had to go to the Urban Dictionary and look up that word. I’ve never heard that before. If that was the OP’s true intention, then he or she is making an entirely different proposition o.O

Eartha Kitt Day? Where? Sorry, I cant share my thots...........

• Haha 1

I loved Eartha and have several of her recordings. But she was a TERRIBLE Jeopardy contestant! She finished around several thousand in the negative and didnt get to play the final round. (In Celebrity Jeopardy when they had celebs playing for charities...)