Sign in to follow this  
universalkaiju

Them! Headrest

10 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, universalkaiju said:

This is kind of a joke, but has anyone ever noticed General O'Brien's headrest in the helicopter in Them!.  

Looked at the scene again and it is obviously a stage set and not a real helicopter at this point.  So, it could be an actual seat from a copter or they could have removed the headrest portion from the frame for better filming of the rear seat passengers.  Probably used same set for both helicopter interiors.

Possible the actual seats in the real helicopter used this type "headrest" to keep the pilots heads from going back too far.  Headrest is actually a misnomer as the devices are to keep your head from going over the back of the seat in an accident, crash or turbulence.

Why is is kind of a joke?

I'm sure somebody can identify the helicopter and then find actual pictures of the pilots' seats.

I'm sure it was a set but what I mean by joke is that it looks like a ladder that has two metal bars, if he had to stop quickly then he'd probably knock himself out or a least he would probably bleed. 

1 hour ago, universalkaiju said:

I'm sure it was a set but what I mean by joke is that it looks like a ladder that has two metal bars, if he had to stop quickly then he'd probably knock himself out or a least he would probably bleed. 

I doubt the movie makers altered the seats from stock unless the actual head restraints interfered with filming the rear passengers.  Then why would they leave the metal framework?

Since this is a 1950's aircraft there is no telling how it was actually designed and constructed.  Maybe it was built exactly as filmed.  Need to remember that in the 50's, cars did not have any kind of head restraints (headrests).

http://www.rotaryaction.com/t.html is a website about aircraft in movies & TV.  They identify it as a Sikorsky S-51 (HOS2-1 variant).  Couldn't find a picture of the interior or seats, but I would bet this is exactly how it looked.  It would restrain the pilots head, but also permit better vision to the rear outside areas.  Below is a picture from the Sikorsky historical website.  Hard to tell, but appears the head restraints behind the pilot are an open metal frame.

By the way, welcome to the Forums.  Sometimes question such as yours may fare better in the General Discussions forum.  Lot more people read those.  I just stumbled on your question because it popped up on the View Unread Content.

s-51 s1

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, universalkaiju said:

Thank you, it was just something strange that I noticed and I thought people might find it to be interesting. 

It was an interesting observation about something that I never noticed even though it is one of my favorite SciFi movies.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TheCid said:

It was an interesting observation about something that I never noticed even though it is one of my favorite SciFi movies.

By the way, I took your advice and I found something out about It Came From Beneath the Sea, I put it in genral discussion if you want to see it. 

14 minutes ago, universalkaiju said:

By the way, I took your advice and I found something out about It Came From Beneath the Sea, I put it in genral discussion if you want to see it. 

Read it.  Another movie that I enjoy.  As with any movie, but especially SciFi, we need to suspend our accuracy and knowledge systems.  My wife complains when we watch movies with cars, trains or about the military because I constantly point out flaws, mistakes and inaccuracies.

Keep up the questions and keep watching.  1950's and 60's SciFi are really good entertainment.

3 hours ago, TheCid said:

Read it.  Another movie that I enjoy.  As with any movie, but especially SciFi, we need to suspend our accuracy and knowledge systems.  My wife complains when we watch movies with cars, trains or about the military because I constantly point out flaws, mistakes and inaccuracies.

Keep up the questions and keep watching.  1950's and 60's SciFi are really good entertainmen

I've decided to make a series about any odd thing I see in a 50s or 60s sci fi in the general discussion form, I think I remember something from 20 Million Miles to Earth