Sign in to follow this  
universalkaiju

Strange things in 50s and 60s sci-fi movies

51 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, darkblue said:

Are Morlocks people, really?

Y'know, I tried as a joke to post comparison images of a Morlock from the film and JOHNNY WINTER. ;)

But the site wouldn't allow the two images in the same reply box. :(

Sepiatone

image.png

And NOW won't let me edit and remove THAT one!  I don't understand this place sometimes.

16 hours ago, Dargo said:

LOL

Yeah, I'm sure YOU could have made those suckers MUCH more fun, huh! ;)

No, I would have flunked you. :P

22 minutes ago, scsu1975 said:

No, I would have flunked you. :P

Actually it's rather coincidental that you brought this up here, Teach.

Ya see, my first semester of Algebra in Jr. High, I DID flunk it, and was the only class I ever received an "F" in. However somehow, and I've always thought it might have been because Summer School classes are a little more accelerated in pace than are regular school year courses and thus perhaps there was less time to become bored with that whole "X plus Y equals Z" stuff, I ACED my redo in that subject during the summer months.

(...although of course, it also could have been because my first teacher in the subject was just about THE most boring teacher I think I had had up to that point...YOU know, kind'a like Ben Stein was in that one flick) 

• Haha 1

Did ALL those invaders from other planets all come from the SAME planet?  Or bought their saucers from the SAME DEALERSHIP?

They all seemed to look similar and make the SAME SOUNDS.

Sepiatone

On 1/18/2018 at 8:19 AM, Sepiatone said:

Y'know, I tried as a joke to post comparison images of a Morlock from the film and JOHNNY WINTER. ;)

But the site wouldn't allow the two images in the same reply box. :(

Sepiatone

image.png

And NOW won't let me edit and remove THAT one!  I don't understand this place sometimes.

Go to Google Docs, go to insert and put both of the pictures there. 

I'll give it a try sometime.  So, how does putting both images THERE help me in getting them HERE?

Sepiatone

5 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I'll give it a try sometime.  So, how does putting both images THERE help me in getting them HERE?

Sepiatone

I'm guessing place the images on Google Docs, then put the URL to that in your post.

Having said that, you should be able to put multiple images in a reply. If the images are uploaded from your own computer, you might have filled your attachment quota. If the images are URL links, there might be an issue with the image file, or the host not allowing hotlinks.

Editing/deleting an image should be the same process as editing text in an existing post. Could you edit the post at all?

Only to where I could add my complaint that I couldn't add the 2nd image nor delete the first.

Sepiatone

Why does everyone get mad at John Agar in Invisible Invaders? Yeah he killed that guy but did no one notice that he was threatening to kill them? What a bunch of jerks. 

3 hours ago, universalkaiju said:

Why does everyone get mad at John Agar in Invisible Invaders? Yeah he killed that guy but did no one notice that he was threatening to kill them? What a bunch of jerks. 

Because he acts (no pun intended) like a crumb for most of the movie. His only redeeming quality is that he has a pair, unlike Robert Hutton.

On 1/18/2018 at 2:29 PM, Dargo said:

(...although of course, it also could have been because my first teacher in the subject was just about THE most boring teacher I think I had had up to that point...YOU know, kind'a like Ben Stein was in that one flick) 

I used to show that clip to my class of student teachers and would ask them to critique his teaching.

10 hours ago, scsu1975 said:

Because he acts (no pun intended) like a crumb for most of the movie. His only redeeming quality is that he has a pair, unlike Robert Hutton.

I know John Agar being a crumb as you say in movies like Revenge of the Creature and The Mole People, but in Invisible Invaders, the movie expects us to feel sorry for the guy he shot and does no one on notice that that guy had a gun and was going to kill him and take his jeep?

Why where so many Universal sci-fi films bad?

The Deadly Mantis is boring, The Land Unknown is okay but only mediocre, The Mole People is weird, The Leech Women is boring too and do I really have to say anything about Monster on the Campus.    

Oh, to be an orthopedist in those small towns aliens from space always seem to invade in those movies!

I'd rake it in treating all those twisted ankles all those women get from running away from those hideous monsters. B)

Sepiatone

2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I'd rake it in treating all those twisted ankles all those women get from running away from those hideous monsters. B)

As Jack Lemmon once observed, enlightened by personal experience - How do they walk in these things??

52 minutes ago, limey said:

As Jack Lemmon once observed, enlightened by personal experience - How do they walk in these things??

The only thing women care about is making sure they're as sexually alluring to males as possible. Safety and practicality count for nothing compared to that.

Until they get too old. Then they suddenly understand that all that useless pain isn't gonna attract anyone to their cellulite-riddled meatbag bodies anymore, so they may as well go for more comfortable shoes and make up accusations that men used to sexually harass them back in the day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Why does every one feel sorry for Klaatu? He was shot, so what? He came down with a thing that looks like a bunch of needles.

Oh, sure.  That little device certainly was SCARY, wasn't it?  That is, until some trigger happy grunt shot Klaatu and got GORT all pizzed off!  

Sepiatone

On 3/2/2018 at 8:20 AM, Sepiatone said:

Oh, sure.  That little device certainly was SCARY, wasn't it?  That is, until some trigger happy grunt shot Klaatu and got GORT all pizzed off!  

Sepiatone

It wasn't like he came out with it like that, he pulled it out of his pocket and it flicks open like a switchblade.

On 1/18/2018 at 1:29 PM, Dargo said:

Actually it's rather coincidental that you brought this up here, Teach.

Ya see, my first semester of Algebra in Jr. High, I DID flunk it, and was the only class I ever received an "F" in. However somehow, and I've always thought it might have been because Summer School classes are a little more accelerated in pace than are regular school year courses and thus perhaps there was less time to become bored with that whole "X plus Y equals Z" stuff, I ACED my redo in that subject during the summer months.

Dargo ... Dargo ... Dargo ... Dargo ...

what dose everybody think about the ending of Invasion of the Body Snatchers? To me it feels kind of negative anyway, sure the hero saves the world but know he has nothing to go back to. His friends and his girlfriend are all now plants and are gonna be killed by the army. You could say the bad guys didn't win but nether did the hero and that's not very that common in movies.    

1 hour ago, universalkaiju said:

what dose everybody think about the ending of Invasion of the Body Snatchers? To me it feels kind of negative anyway, sure the hero saves the world but know he has nothing to go back to. His friends and his girlfriend are all now plants and are gonna be killed by the army. You could say the bad guys didn't win but nether did the hero and that's not very that common in movies.    

But does he save the world? I think his ravings aren't taken seriously and that perhaps by the time people start to believe him, the aliens would have enough pod doubles to take over the planet.

The horror that can never say it's name----COMMUNISM.

Aren't the 1950's s/f films all about the Communist takeover of the USA?

this anguish was "REAL" in the 1950's, and commies could arrive in many secretive forms:

plants, space dust, aliens who crawled through the desert leaving sparkly trails, and even your own PARENTS!

The main thing was to be AFRAID.

they were here to eat, kill, and enslave us!

Has anyone seen: THE PUPPET MASTERS (original book by Robert Heinlein)

I just read the book, and was wondering if the film/tv-show was worth seeing.

thanks if you know!