Sign in to follow this  
sewhite2000

Somebody Who Works for the TCM Website Gives a Really Weird Casting Credit for Flight of the Phoenix

19 posts in this topic

If you read the website info for the survival movies series, it says "Peter Finch and Richard Attenborough head the cast for Flight of the Phoenix".

Well, yeah, but ...

A guy named James Stewart plays the central character! Maybe the guy writing the description had never heard of him?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

If you read the website info for the survival movies series, it says "Peter Finch and Richard Attenborough head the cast for Flight of the Phoenix".

Well, yeah, but ...

A guy named James Stewart plays the central character! Maybe the guy writing the description had never heard of him?

About time that the Aussies & the Brits got a look-in! :P

Anyhow, I always thought that the plane (in it's various incarnations) was the central character in the film...

MV5BZjgyMDIyMjAtNGJhZC00YmM0LWI3MTEtNmU5

• Haha 2

It did occur to me that maybe somebody from TCM UK who has a different set of priorities about who the film's stars actually are wrote the film description ...

Just now, sewhite2000 said:

It did occur to me that maybe somebody from TCM UK who has a different set of priorities about who the film's stars actually are wrote the film description ...

Well, there IS an easy way to determine if this might be the case, ya know sewhite!

(...in that write-up, are there a lot of those superfluous-U's in it???)

;)

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Ha ha, I didn't recall any, but I'll look again.

Well, while you're at it, also look for any use of the word ""whilst" instead of "while"!

(...AND of course any notice of that weird way they spell "theater" and "center" with the 'r' comin' before the second 'e'!)

8 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Well, there IS an easy way to determine if this might be the case, ya know sewhite!

(...in that write-up, are there a lot of those superfluous-U's in it???)

;)

It's a fair cop, guv...

Ray Milland directs and stars in Panic in Year Zero (1962), the story of a family that finds refge in a cave in the montains of California after a nclear attack. Peter Finch and Richard Attenborogh head the cast of Flight of the Phoenix (1965), which tells of the strggles of the crew whose aircraft has crashed into the Sahara Desert. My Side of the Montain (1969) tells of a 12-year-old boy (Teddy Eccles) who leaves his home in Toronto to live in the Canadian wilderness, where his friends inclde a raccoon and a falcon.

2 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Well, while you're at it, also look for any use of the word ""whilst" instead of "while"!

(...AND of course any notice of that weird way they spell "theater" and "center" with the 'r' comin' before the second 'e'!)

Wait... you mean all those 'u's were supposed to be there?!

The culprit behind that write-up probably uses the correct pronunciation of nuclear, too.... :P

7 minutes ago, limey said:

It's a fair cop, guv...

Ray Milland directs and stars in Panic in Year Zero (1962), the story of a family that finds refge in a cave in the montains of California after a nclear attack. Peter Finch and Richard Attenborogh head the cast of Flight of the Phoenix (1965), which tells of the strggles of the crew whose aircraft has crashed into the Sahara Desert. My Side of the Montain (1969) tells of a 12-year-old boy (Teddy Eccles) who leaves his home in Toronto to live in the Canadian wilderness, where his friends inclde a raccoon and a falcon.

Wait... you mean all those 'u's were supposed to be there?!

Now limey ol' boy, how many times do I have to tell ya that not ALL 'u's are superfluous?!

And...

The culprit behind that write-up probably uses the correct pronunciation of nuclear, too.... :P

Well, if he DOES, it's a damn good bet it ISN'T the guy many of us Yanks dismissively called "Dubya" for 8 freakin' years! ;)

LOL

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Dargo said:
27 minutes ago, limey said:

Now limey ol' boy, how many times do I have to tell ya that not ALL 'u's are superfluous?!

Well accepting that old age & national environmental programming may be at play in my own case... I couldn't find any superfluous 'u's in that article!

Oddly enough & possibly because of the ensemble cast in TFOTP (including the plane & the efforts of Paul Mantz), I've never thought of it as a Jimmy Stewart film, in the same way as, say, The Spirit of St. Louis was.

Btw, sewhite's thread premise here is reminding me of cases in which a later re-release of some movie will sometimes result in an actor or actress who since the intervening years of the movie's initial release might have become a much bigger star and then having their name placed higher in the credits and/or the film then later primarily promoted to the public as starring this now big star.  

Now, offhand I can't think of a specific case of this, but I know it has happened.

And so, can anyone give me an example of this?

(...sorry sewhite...hope I'm not hijackin' your thread here...well, other than that whole "superfluous-u" thing I so often bandy about around here anyway!) ;)

11 minutes ago, limey said:

Well accepting that old age & national environmental programming may be at play in my own case... I couldn't find any superfluous 'u's in that article!

Oddly enough & possibly because of the ensemble cast in TFOTP (including the plane & the efforts of Paul Mantz), I've never thought of it as a Jimmy Stewart film, in the same way as, say, The Spirit of St. Louis was.

Yep limey, I have to agree with you that the actors in TFOTF would and could be called an ensemble cast.

However, I'd still say Jimmy would have been the biggest name of all of 'em at the time of its release, and would of course then be the reason he got top billing.

10 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Btw, sewhite's thread premise here is reminding me of cases in which a later re-release of some movie will sometimes result in an actor or actress who since the intervening years of the movie's initial release might have become a much bigger star and then having their name placed higher in the credits and/or the film then later primarily promoted to the public as starring this now big star.  

Now, offhand I can't think of a specific case of this, but I know it has happened.

Well, Madonna made A Certain Sacrifice that she possibly regretted before Desperately Seeking Susan...

I completely agree with sewhite2000. it IS an american film directed by an american so stewart has top billing and is the obvious main star of the film.

29 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

"Extended climax"?

I've been trying for one of those for YEARS!  :P

Sepiatone

You want to bore out one of these for a larger displacement? ;)

18d3m4cb9tp6yjpg.jpg

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Dargo said:

(...sorry sewhite...hope I'm not hijackin' your thread here...well, other than that whole "superfluous-u" thing I so often bandy about around here anyway!) ;)

Back in the Blockbuster days, there would often be titles you'd never heard of that would prominently feature someone who was now a big star prominently on the cover, and you would take it home and discover it some early film of theirs in which they only had a small role. Deceptive advertising! I definitely remember A Certain Sacrifice being guilty of that. There was also some beach movie with Kevin Costner in a small role.

8 hours ago, Dargo said:

Logan's Run (1976) 

Farrah Fawcett-Majors had a bit part (a secretary(?)). Just after it was released, she hit it big on Charlie's Angels. They revamped the advertising, putting her picture on the posters and changing the font of her name from microprint at the bottom to 72pt across the top. 

10 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Well, yeah, but ...

It might be due to a technicality.

In the case of IMDB, they don't actually bother to enter the names in order.  Instead, they assign a number to each actor in order of billing, and then it is assembled each time the page is visited.  So an omitted or incorrect number would throw it off.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Dargo said:

And...

Well, if he DOES, it's a damn good bet it ISN'T the guy many of us Yanks dismissively called "Dubya" for 8 freakin' years! ;)

LOL

I gotta be fair here. Watch The China Syndrome sometime. Michael Douglas, a big lib, says "nu-kew-lur" all the way through the movie!s And I don't recall anyone ever giving him the crap Dubya got for saying it that way!