Sign in to follow this  
NipkowDisc

is tcm pet movie ThE BAD AND THE BEAUTIFUL in danger of being lost?

23 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, NipkowDisc said:

are the surviving prints in danger of deterioration from so many tcm airings?

:D

Image result for the bad and the beautiful (1952)

I wouldn't worry about this unless the negative(s) have been lost.

More than likely there are good prints located in the Library of Congress and in the AFI.

Also,  I wouldn't be surprised if Liza Minnelli had a good print of this movie too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

are the surviving prints in danger of deterioration from excessive repeated tcm airings?

:D

It's OK - I don't think that they use one of these every time the film airs anymore...

telecinechain.jpg

With the advent of digital storage techniques, they probably don't even need to brave the TCM DVD library nowadays, either...

5b77dc97c91cd91f9c2458dde6bdddfd.jpg

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since NORTH BY NORTHWEST seems to have held up well, I don't think this movie is in any danger...  :P

Sepiatone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

are the surviving prints in danger of deterioration from excessive repeated tcm airings?

Since TV doesn't run film prints, no.

Quote

:D

(....OHHHhhh!  He was kidding!  Let's file that away for future reference, Nip actually has what he considers to be a sense of humor, and not all his questions are as weird as they sound. )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, EricJ said:

Since TV doesn't run film prints, no.

(....OHHHhhh!  He was kidding!  Let's file that away for future reference, Nip actually has what he considers to be a sense of humor, and not all his questions are as weird as they sound. )

you got it!:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Gershwin fan said:

The only one they play more than Bad and the Beautiful is Doctor Zhivago.

Someone around here actually keeps track of that, and I think the leaders for most showings are North by Northwest and Meet Me in St. Louis.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

007-lana-turner-theredlist.jpg

"Tell me it isn't so, Kirk. Please tell me you wouldn't choose Shirley Booth over me!"

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

Someone around here actually keeps track of that, and I think the leaders for most showings are North by Northwest and Meet Me in St. Louis.

It was one of the first things I posted, mainly for observational purposes back when I was trying to think of something contructive to do with schedule data I had put together, and was quickly met by fury from a handful of (then) regulars. as well as a nominal amount of interest from another handful.  This was also picked up by another poster who finds keeping score on movie replays more interesting than I do.

BTW I initially had North By Northwest labeled at the top as the most played, but dropped it back some after I realized I had also been including counts of an alias for another movie.  So no, it is not actually the most shown, but close.  (Since then I have added safeguards to prevent that from happening)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

It was one of the first things I posted, mainly for observational purposes back when I was trying to think of something contructive to do with schedule data I had put together, and was quickly met by fury from a handful of (then) regulars. as well as a nominal amount of interest from another handful.  This was also picked up by another poster who finds keeping score on movie replays more interesting than I do.

BTW I initially had North By Northwest labeled at the top as the most played, but dropped it back some after I realized I had also been including counts of an alias for another movie.  So no, it is not actually the most shown, but close.  (Since then I have added safeguards to prevent that from happening)

Yeah, I found TopBilled's old thread about overplayed movies, not realizing that he had stopped updating it more than a year ago. The #1 most shown title at that time was actually The Philadelphia Story, followed by Meet Me in St. Louis and then North By Northwest. Surprisingly, Dr. Zhivago wasn't even listed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gershwin fan said:

The only one they play more than Bad and the Beautiful is Doctor Zhivago.

 

They seem to have eased up on Zhivago lately.........But yes, I'm sure it's in the top 5 along with the others mentioned........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Yeah, I found TopBilled's old thread about overplayed movies, not realizing that he had stopped updating it more than a year ago. The #1 most shown title at that time was actually The Philadelphia Story, followed by Meet Me in St. Louis and then North By Northwest. Surprisingly, Dr. Zhivago wasn't even listed.

Okay I am only going to do this once. (This is just based on the raw numbers I have from 1994-2018, which only excludes about a year and a half worth of info - mostly from 1998 and 1999 I think, and may not be indicative of current trends)

Casablanca ~ 125x
Meet Me In St. Louis (1944) ~ 121x
The Adventures Of Robin Hood (1938) ~ 120x
The Philadelphia Story (1940) ~ 118x
Citizen Kane (1941) ~ 113x
Gaslight (1944) ~ 112x
Singin' In The Rain (1952) ~ 110x
Meet John Doe (1941), On The Town (1949), North By Northwest ~ 108x [tie]
The Maltese Falcon (1941) ~ 105x
Mildred Pierce (1945) - 102x
Father Of The Bride (1950), An American In Paris (1951) ~ 98x [tie]
Adam’s Rib (1949) ~ 97x

P.S. Nothing you didn't already know

  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WOW. Surprised Zhivago is not in there. Maybe I just notice it more. No surprise that almost all are in the MGM-WB library and easy to rent......Meet John Doe is Columbia I think and Kane RKO, but assume are easy to rent too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Hibi said:

WOW. Surprised Zhivago is not in there. Maybe I just notice it more. No surprise that almost all are in the MGM-WB library and easy to rent......Meet John Doe is Columbia I think and Kane RKO, but assume are easy to rent too.

I think Meet John Doe might be a public domain film as it doesn't seem to have a proper studio release (that's my criteria for determining if it's public domain, lol).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

I think Meet John Doe might be a public domain film as it doesn't seem to have a proper studio release (that's my criteria for determining if it's public domain, lol).  

In 1945 Capra and Riskin sold all rights in Meet John Doe to Sherman S. Krellberg's Goodwill Pictures, a New York distributor. While in Goodwill’s possession the original camera negative deteriorated due to poor storage and was eventually destroyed. Copyright in the film was not renewed and it fell into the public domain in 1969.[11]

The Library of Congress created a fresh preservation negative in the 1970s by combining Goodwill’s surviving 35mmm prints with the Warner Bros. studio print.[11]

Poor quality copies of Meet John Doe have proliferated on home video for years, sourced from inferior quality prints, while the restored LoC print remains in storage. In 2001 Ken Barnes' Laureate Presentations undertook a digital restoration of the best available European print.[11] This was released on DVD by Sanctuary in the UK and by VCI in the US.[12] To date these are the best quality commercially available releases.[13]

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

In 1945 Capra and Riskin sold all rights in Meet John Doe to Sherman S. Krellberg's Goodwill Pictures, a New York distributor. While in Goodwill’s possession the original camera negative deteriorated due to poor storage and was eventually destroyed. Copyright in the film was not renewed and it fell into the public domain in 1969.[11]

The Library of Congress created a fresh preservation negative in the 1970s by combining Goodwill’s surviving 35mmm prints with the Warner Bros. studio print.[11]

Poor quality copies of Meet John Doe have proliferated on home video for years, sourced from inferior quality prints, while the restored LoC print remains in storage. In 2001 Ken Barnes' Laureate Presentations undertook a digital restoration of the best available European print.[11] This was released on DVD by Sanctuary in the UK and by VCI in the US.[12] To date these are the best quality commercially available releases.[13]

AH! So THAT'S why that snow on that rooftop has always looked so dirty, eh?! ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us