BingFan

Have you seen someone you know in a movie?

34 posts in this topic

While watching movie scenes with a lot of extras or crowds, I've sometimes wondered what it would be like to see someone you know on the screen.  "Gosh, there's Grandma back when she was in her 20s, in that street scene with Frank and Gene," or something like that.

Have you ever seen someone you know in a movie?

My only experience with this has been occasionally seeing, in both movies and TV shows, a woman I knew slightly in high school -- but it wasn't a surprise, because I knew she had become a moderately successful actor, and she always had substantial speaking roles.  (I later saw her on TV sitting in the front row at the Oscars with her much more famous boyfriend, who was a Best Actor nominee that year.)

A guy I used to date many years ago was on the production staff of the Space Camp movie made back in the 1980’s and he was in a scene near the beginning of that movie.

My friend and his wife were extras in an outdoor scene in The Ring 2, shot in and around Seattle. I knew ahead of time when I went to go see it that they were going to be in there. While the camera is focused on Naomi Watts, they walk all the way across the screen in the background. It was surreal to see them up there on the giant screen.

My great grandmother had a speaking role in a John Sayles movie 30 years ago.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BingFan said:

While watching movie scenes with a lot of extras or crowds, I've sometimes wondered what it would be like to see someone you know on the screen.  "Gosh, there's Grandma back when she was in her 20s, in that street scene with Frank and Gene," or something like that.

Have you ever seen someone you know in a movie?

My only experience with this has been occasionally seeing, in both movies and TV shows, a woman I knew slightly in high school -- but it wasn't a surprise, because I knew she had become a moderately successful actor, and she always had substantial speaking roles.  (I later saw her on TV sitting in the front row at the Oscars with her much more famous boyfriend, who was a Best Actor nominee that year.)

Geez BingFan! Now, I've heard of people thinking it gauche to name-drop and all, but dude, would it really hurt to tell us the name of this old high school classmate and then later moderately successful actress? ;)

I'd love to know, anyway.

(...and now, MY "brush with greatest" in this regard would be that Butch Patrick, TV's Eddie Munster, was for a time a high school classmate of mine)

54 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

My great grandmother had a speaking role in a John Sayles movie 30 years ago.

Was she one of the Secaucus 7 (my favorite John Sayles film)?

2 minutes ago, Swithin said:

Was she one of the Secaucus 7 (my favorite John Sayles film)?

Yes, my great grandmother is David Strathairn.

Not really. She was, in fact, The Brother from Another Planet.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

So, she wouldn't have been one of the Eight Men Out either then.

(...say it ain't so, Joe..err..Lawrence)

20 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I worked with David Strathairn. Nice chap.

So your great grandmother was Dee Dee Bridgewater!

2 minutes ago, Swithin said:

I worked with David Strathairn. Nice chap.

So your great grandmother was Dee Dee Bridgewater!

No, but in the film she appeared in (not actually in Brother), she played "Mrs. Knightes".

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

Geez BingFan! Now, I've heard of people thinking it gauche to name-drop and all, but dude, would it really hurt to tell us the name of this old high school classmate and then later moderately successful actress? ;)

I'd love to know, anyway.

(...and now, MY "brush with greatest" in this regard would be that Butch Patrick, TV's Eddie Munster, was for a time a high school classmate of mine)

The actress in question is Vicki Lewis (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vicki_Lewis).  Looking at her wiki page now, I hope I'm not underestimating her career by calling her "moderately successful" -- she's actually done a lot a stuff on stage and screen that I wasn't aware of. 

As I mentioned before, I only knew her slightly in high school -- we had some mutual friends and were once in a class play together.  (She obviously had much more acting talent than I did!)  Although it's been about 40 years since I last saw her in person, it's still kind of fun to run across her in a movie or a Seinfeld episode.

• Thanks 1

Joan Taylor, co-star in EARTH VS. THE FLYING SAUCERS, was an acquaintance of my mother's.  Joan's dad ran the old Deerpath movie theater in Lake Forest, Illinois, where my mom watched movies when she was a youngster.

• Like 1

My uncle and grandfather were both projectionists.  When Tootsie came up to our neck of the woods to film the "upstate" scenes, my uncle met Jessica Lange. 

Grandma didn't know who Jessica Lange was.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Fedya said:

My uncle and grandfather were both projectionists.  When Tootsie came up to our neck of the woods to film the "upstate" scenes, my uncle met Jessica Lange. 

Grandma didn't know who Jessica Lange was.

I believe Jessica was still working her way to make it to stardom then....at that point she only had the 1976 remake of KING KONG (which bombed), THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE 1981 remake (another failure), ALL THAT JAZZ (unsure about that one) and FRANCES (great movie but I understand it wasn't exactly a blockbuster) on her resume at that point.

Heh, my High School English teacher (also the drama teacher) was one of the panicked crowd running on the beach in JAWS.
He was a vain queen sort of a guy who finished one school year with a red toupee & beard then returned the next year with a bald head & white beard. I think he was in his "red" stage in JAWS, enough cause to say you missed spotting him in the scene!

When HOFFA was being filmed in Detroit, there was a riot scene filmed at the old truck terminal on Fort St. and Green in Southwest Detroit( and just a few blocks from where I was living at the time) that was "doubling" at the time for KROGER (and with a gate that read "Kreeger" in the flick).

A neighbor of mine was among the many extras in that scene.  It's impossible to pick him out from that mob, but I'm pretty sure I saw him without realizing it ;)

Sepiatone

3 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

my brother walked past clint eastwood in a hotel hallway once.:D

Oh yeah, Nip. I think you've told this story before around here, haven't you?!

Sure, it was when your brother worked at that hotel, and Clint stopped him in that hallway and said to him, "Go ahead. Make my bed!"

(...yeah, that was how that story went, wasn't it?!)

;)

• Haha 3

When I lived in New York (1985) I met by chance the blonde woman who played in the The Purple Rose of Cairo. She was one of the prominent figures in the movie within a movie. She was among a group I was with and we are all having coffee somewhere. I asked her if she was waiting for another call from Woody's casting team. She made a gesture of hope. Probably never  happened.

I was 11 years old when I met Harry Bellaver.  At the time, I wasn't into classic movies, but I did know him from the soap opera "Another World" where he played 'Ernie', a local mechanic who owned a small auto repair shop.  Now, I wasn't into watching soap operas either, but my mom was the one who turned me onto anything he was playing in, if it was airing on television.  During the summer months or days when school was out of session, I'd try to catch "Another World" to see him, since he was the local boy who made good!

My parents owned a tavern and one night, Harry and his family from New York came back home for a visit with his brother, sister-in-law, and nieces and nephews.  About four or five tables were put together to accommodate everyone who showed up for dinner.  Even though he was not a young guy or perhaps the most recognizable actor to most people aside from his family and people were their friends, it was quite a thrill to shake his hand and say hello.

Today, I live in the house where Harry's brother and sister-in-law lived where they raised 6 kids, two of whom are still alive and I see regularly around town.

• Like 5

As you probably know midwesty, Harry Bellaver was also a regular cast member on the 1958-1963 television series Naked City, and where he played a seasoned police detective partnered to Paul Burke's younger detective...

original.jpeg

Harry+Bellaver.jpg

(...nice story, btw)

• Thanks 1

Yeah, I knew he was in "The Naked City", but I was only 4 when it went off the air, and I never got into watching much night-time TV until about 1967 or 68.  If we had cable back in the late-60's, I'm sure we would have seen re-runs of it like we see with many series that were popular from the late 80's to fairly recently, with the plethora of stations and viewing options we have today.

Years ago I was sitting in a theatre watching "Apollo 13" and I kept thinking:  "I know that kid, I know that kid." The "kid" I was referring to was the actress who was playing Tom Hanks' aka Jim Lovell's daughter, Barbara Lovell. I was so curious that I stayed through the credits to find out who she was and then I knew. Barbara Lovell was played by a young actress named Mary Kate Schellhardt and years before I had cast her in a TV commercial which just happened to be her very first acting gig.  She was probably 6 or 7 at the time, gave an incredible performance and worked for hours and hours without complaint.  Way to go, Mary Kate!   Her father (who worked for Associated Press and was on set with Mary Kate when we shot the commercial) was a super smart, super nice guy who was eventually transferred from Pittsburgh to Chicago so we lost access to Mary Kate for a while.  But, when it came time to choose a college, Mary Kate decided to return to Pittsburgh and attend Carnegie Mellon University so we had a chance to re-connect. She was a natural talent from the very first moment she auditioned for me and turned out to be a lovely young woman who has continued working in film and TV. 

• Like 7