BingFan

Have you seen someone you know in a movie?

34 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, lydecker said:

But, when it came time to choose a college, Mary Kate decided to return to Pittsburgh and attend Carnegie Mellon University so we had a chance to re-connect. She was a natural talent from the very first moment she auditioned for me and turned out to be a lovely young woman who has continued working in film and TV. 

And obviously smart!  Carnegie-Mellon don't take no dummies! :D

4 hours ago, midwestan said:

And obviously smart!  Carnegie-Mellon don't take no dummies! :D

One more thing about Mary Kate.  The commercial we were filming was for a pet food company and it takes a LONG TIME to work with animals.  We had started shooting at 8 AM and were still shooting (with one more set-up to go) around Midnight.  I had sent Mary Kate up to a bedroom in the house we were shooting in to take a short rest while we lit the last scene.  I walked upstairs to get her so that we could complete the last shot and through the door I heard her crying to her Dad:  "Daddy, I'm so tired, I want to go home."  "Oh, s---!" thought I.  I figured her father would say "Enough's enough" to us and take her home.  Instead, as I got close to the bedroom door I heard Mary Kate's Dad say:  "Now, Mary Kate, you wanted to do this.  It was your choice and you have to finish what you started. Dry your tears.  You'll be done soon." OMG. What an incredible dad! Fortunately, the last shot we had to film was Mary Kate laying on "her" bed next to her cat, writing in her diary.  Mary Kate very nearly fell asleep on the bed as we finished the shot and the cat actually did  --  it had been a tough day's work for both of them.  We had joked throughout the day to Mary Kate's Dad that he should let her skip school the next day since she had worked so late.  He said that she had an important aptitude test the next day and so she had to be at school no matter how late she worked.  Oops!  I guess she scored pretty high on her aptitude test (even at age 7!) to eventually get into CMU. Such a great kid and such a super dad!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lydecker said:

it takes a LONG TIME to work with animals

I'm always reminded of the scene in Day for Night where they're trying to get the cat to drink the milk that's been left outside the door.

• Like 1

Thanks a great story lydecker.

It reminds me a little of how my old bf would speak about Kirsten Dunst. Apparently he worked with her on one of her earliest movies and was completely charmed. He said she was a everyone's "little darling"; incredibly talented, intelligent, hard working & professional. He told me to keep my eye out for her, she will be "BIG".

(This was the guy who also pointed out to me what a wreck Tom Hanks is)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

When I was a kid, Lloyd Bridges and Shirley Jones showed up in my hometown of Amherst, MA, and shot a movie called "Silent Night, Lonely Night." A very forgettable Christmas TV-movie. My parents were thrilled--they considered them big stars; I spent a lot of afternoons waiting outside the Lord Jeffrey Inn waiting to see "the stars" and get autographs. I knew Bridges from "Sea Hunt" so to me, he was the more famous. I had no idea Jones had won an Oscar (Elmer Gantry, 1961) or who she was because this was 1969. Just a year later she was Mrs. Partridge and I certainly knew her then.

When the movie came out, my parents wouldn't let me watch it because it dealt with infidelity and various other "adult issues." 

Later, in 1989 or so, Jane Fonda and Robert De Niro were in town (this time, Holyoke MA) filming another forgettable movie "Stanley & Iris" (1990). I was a reporter for the local newspaper and wanted to become an extra when they put out a call. I thought it would make a good first-person story. It did. I got a great story, but not an extra part. When the movie came out, I recognized some of my fellow auditioners in a scene where workers stream out of a factory gate. We had spent so many hours on line waiting for the casting people to see us that it felt like I was seeing old friends up there onscreen. It was a fun experience; a terrible movie.

I just realized this is more a fan story than an "I know someone in the movies" story; hope that's ok....

Edited by marcar
idiocy
  • Like 3

A girl I knew in high school was an extra in "Logan's Run". She was worried because it was right before senior year and she was in drama club competitions. She was concerned she might be ruled ineligible because technically, by taking that bit part, she became a professional actress. Logan's Run was filmed partly in what is now Las Colinas in Irving, Texas, what was supposed to be a self-contained industrial-residential complex that never reallly took off.

I also tutored Jerry Hall - now Rupert Murdock's wife- in French back in Mesquite,Tx. She has appeared in a few movies since then. She used to lie about her age, gradually pushing her birth year from 1955 to as recent as 1963.  In school she was not that bright. When I saw her birth year pushed to 1963 I said to myself - No wonder she had such a hard time with high school French! She was only 10! She pretty much stopped lying about her age after she married Rupert Murdock. After all, does it really matter if you are 63 or 56 if your husband is almost 90???

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Fedya said:

I'm always reminded of the scene in Day for Night where they're trying to get the cat to drink the milk that's been left outside the door.

I had a client that was a pet food company and also did a ton of work for Hoover vacuums so you cannot even imagine the number of animals and kids I had to work with through many years of commercial production.  The commercial we shot which starred Mary Kate involved using the same cat in every scene.  So, I decided to use my own cat since he had been shot many times and was somewhat of a "pro" when it came to doing what he was asked to do while being filmed.  However . . . there was a scene in the commercial where the cat had to be rained on pretty mercilessly and I wasn't going to make my cat endure that!! So, we hired a look-alike, "stunt" cat to do that one scene.  Well, "stunt cat" would have NOTHING to do with being rained upon so, in the end, we had to use my cat, anyway.  Like the pro he was, he did the scene in a couple of takes and, after being blow-dried and given some warm milk, he was ready and willing to do the next scene.  Pretty funny. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Thanks a great story lydecker.

It reminds me a little of how my old bf would speak about Kirsten Dunst. Apparently he worked with her on one of her earliest movies and was completely charmed. He said she was a everyone's "little darling"; incredibly talented, intelligent, hard working & professional. He told me to keep my eye out for her, she will be "BIG".

(This was the guy who also pointed out to me what a wreck Tom Hanks is)

So, tell, tell about Tom Hanks . . . 

So, tell, tell about Tom Hanks . . . Really?
I've spoken of this numerous times, whenever some puetz says they saw some movie and Tom Hanks was "great". Maybe good writing or a good director carries Hanks through, but if you pay attention you'll find he just blandly reads his lines. The person I know that worked with him said his lack of talent & personality was obvious to all on the set. Maybe he's given up, maybe he hates the Hollywood scene, who knows? His best acting apparently is off camera-he acts like a great star.

(Wholly different from my first "hated" actor, Kevin Costner. Costner seemed to try hard in his roles, but was often just unconvincing)
Maybe Hanks is a cute everyman, but he doesn't really add anything fresh or dramatic artistically in his roles. A perfect example is his portrayal of Walt Disney in SAVING MR BANKS-we don't "feel" anything towards Disney as a man, he just reads Walt's lines. If you pay attention, his ineptitude shows. This is just my opinion, though.

• Like 1