nancynancy

Rex Reed would be a great TCM Host

67 posts in this topic

Yesterday's NY Times ran a fascinating article about the veteran film critic and movie actor Rex Reed and his apartment at the Dakota in NYC. Rex Reed knew everyone in classic Hollywood, has a wealth of knowledge about the film industry, and he would make a terrific host at TCM. In fact, I suggested it in the reader comments that accompany the article, and so far 61 people have agreed with me. So TCM, get on the ball and please bring Rex Reed to the channel. Here's a link to the article:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/10/style/who-is-rex-reed.html?action=click&contentCollection=Opinion&module=Trending&version=Full&region=Marginalia&pgtype=article

• Like 1

Is he still ALIVE?  Now that we're out of the 70's, and can recognize that some movie critics might have been a bit...flaming (Michael Medved, Peter Travers), Reed's old-school throwback sort of fell out of fashion after the 80's.

That would be right around the time they tried putting him in as one of Siskel & Ebert's replacements, when the two left their previous incarnation of At the Movies.  "Sad, really..." doesn't even cover it.

• Thanks 1

I am not in favor of Rex Reed being a TCM host.  He's been such a shill for movies regardless of merit over the years I wouldn't buy anything he's selling.  Ever notice how there are enthusiastic critic quotes for some movies regardless of merit so critics see their names in the ads?  Rex Reed is like that, or at least he used to be like that. 

• Like 3

Well then if not Rex Reed, how about Raquel Welch?

(...hmmmm...now why on earth did her name just pop into my head here I wonder???)

;)

• Haha 1

Is Rex Reed still alive? Oops, somebody else already said that but-- Nostalgia aside-- he's a self centered garbage bag waste of time. 

But I am surprised that he was able to collect enough money from his pathetic reviews to garner an apartment at the Dakota.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Dargo said:

Well then if not Rex Reed, how about Raquel Welch?

(...hmmmm...now why on earth did her name just pop into my head here I wonder???)

;)

You can't see me, Dargo, but I'm shaking my head in disapproval :ph34r:

Image result for rex reed raquel welch

That New York Times profile raises some concerns.  He moved into the Dakota in 1969 and his neighbors included Judy Holliday (1921-1965) and Zachary Scott (1914-1965)?  Cutting it awfully close with Judy Garland (June 22, 1969, England) and Boris Karloff (February 2, 1969, England), too.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SullivansTravels said:

That New York Times profile raises some concerns.  He moved into the Dakota in 1969 and his neighbors included Judy Holliday (1921-1965) and Zachary Scott (1914-1965)?  Cutting it awfully close with Judy Garland (June 22, 1969, England) and Boris Karloff (February 2, 1969, England), too.  

Wow.  I don't get everyone's concern.  My thoughts after reading the article were that he might add some texture to TCM, but you all are making it sound like sitting-on-the-toilet-the-next-day-after-eating-corn-on-the-cob texture.  Are you thinking he might have been a "cleaner" as well?

Rex represents the "old-school" movie critic of the 60's and 70's--When movies were less established in the culture, big movies still played Roadshow Engagements, and big-city papers would often have the theater critics moonlighting on reviewing the big movies as city cultural events.  Dedicated film-loving movie-only critics like Richard Schickel and Pauline Kael were relatively rare, but theater critics, especially in NY, went in with their own Broadway-town "Make or break" mentality that bad movies had to be Punished with a sarcastic sledgehammer, and close overnight.

It wasn't until Siskel & Ebert went national in '78 that movie criticism escaped the "chablis" image and started making its image more populist for just-plain moviegoers, just in time for the post-Star Wars movie renaissance, and the VCR home-theater age.  Not to mention, we no longer had the nyah-nyah stereotype in movies and TV shows that all critics-at-large were effete whiny sniffy-gay elitist snobs...Gee, wonder where they got THAT impression?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Wow.  I don't get everyone's concern.  My thoughts after reading the article were that he might add some texture to TCM, but you all are making it sound like sitting-on-the-toilet-the-next-day-after-eating-corn-on-the-cob texture.  Are you thinking he might have been a "cleaner" as well?

It sounds like you might like Hedda Hopper or Louella Parsons for this job. But since they're not around, I would suggest maybe Rona Barrett could be dug up. She sounds like your kind of person.

BTW: Scatologicalreferences are not appreciated.

He'd be an excellent guest programmer, but you've gotta wonder about a guy who thinks Benicio del Toro directed "The Shape of Water."

• Haha 1

I wonder what he looks like? I havent seen a picture of him in years. I used to enjoy reading his celebrity profile interviews........I dont really care one way or another. I''m more of a just show the movie person and am over The Essentials format........

12 hours ago, GGGGerald said:

Hasn't been relevant in decades.

Pass...

Well, remember...

RO hasn't really been "relevant" for a while either when HE got the job.  Plus not as well known as Rex.  And as Rex is 79, he probably wouldn't be around all that long, so what's the big deal?

Sepiatone

2 hours ago, Hibi said:

I wonder what he looks like? I havent seen a picture of him in years. I used to enjoy reading his celebrity profile interviews........I dont really care one way or another. I''m more of a just show the movie person and am over The Essentials format........

Rex Reed

Thanks. I hardly recognize him (though he doesnt look bad for his age).......

8 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Well, remember...

RO hasn't really been "relevant" for a while either when HE got the job.  Plus not as well known as Rex.  And as Rex is 79, he probably wouldn't be around all that long, so what's the big deal?

Sepiatone

Actually, RO was quite relevant when he got the job. He has just written the foremost reference on the Oscars a few years earlier. He was hosting events and on television in the years leading up to his employment.

9 hours ago, Hibi said:

I wonder what he looks like? I havent seen a picture of him in years.

Bingo !

On 1/11/2018 at 9:40 PM, Princess of Tap said:

It sounds like you might like Hedda Hopper or Louella Parsons for this job. But since they're not around, I would suggest maybe Rona Barrett could be dug up. She sounds like your kind of person.

BTW: Scatologicalreferences are not appreciated.

Oh, geez! All I can think of is Rona Barrett crying on tv, when she ticked off Clement Freud by saying her new book was a lot like those of old Sigmund! It's probably on Youtube, and happened on a Jack Paar show I think or maybe Merv Griffin. Hilarious! I wonder if she still has frosted hair? Gosh, I hope she's not dead cuz then I'll be accused of making fun of the dead. Wasn't she Eddie Fisher's original fan club president???

I'd love to look like that at 79! (if that's him at 79)

1 hour ago, CaveGirl said:

Oh, geez! All I can think of is Rona Barrett crying on tv, when she ticked off Clement Freud by saying her new book was a lot like those of old Sigmund! It's probably on Youtube, and happened on a Jack Paar show I think or maybe Merv Griffin. Hilarious! I wonder if she still has frosted hair? Gosh, I hope she's not dead cuz then I'll be accused of making fun of the dead. Wasn't she Eddie Fisher's original fan club president???

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 12:01 PM, Hibi said:

Thanks. I hardly recognize him (though he doesnt look bad for his age).......

HE IS & WILL ALWATYS BE A MASSIVE WEASEL!

• Thanks 1

To author, you must be either joking or or playing with us on this topic!?

This man is without peer thee single most despised film reviewer in history & by anyone I've ever even mentioned him too

He's a king snob-(to put it mildly) even had NATALIE on another of his short lived shows & said very negative things about her latest movie 1980';s "Last Married Couple in America" (**) & about it's cast, save her & she's always been the sweetest no matter what, but for the very firt time I could see her getting a wee bit angry!

Of all all-time movie reviewers-(also a massive snot there too!)

He is "THEE SINGLE MOST HATED!"

Complete opposite on thee finest ever> James Agee-(l909-l955) (not only arguably the best, but wrote the scripts for "A. Queen" & "Night of the Hunter")=-(Aghee always voited for "City Lights" "Duck Soup" "Kane" & "Treasure Sierra Madre" as his favs flix)

*William Goldman-(l931-)( SOMEOINE, IS HE STILL WIUTH US BY THE WAY?)  He wrote for "Premiere" periodically & was great at just movie reviews, but just knowing the *Oscars.) (he said he's all-timer was always"Gunga Din")

Of course Roger Ebert -(l942-2014) & Gene Siskel-(l946-99)=(WHATS LEFT TO SAY?) (won't list all the dymamic duos' fav. fiulms, exceot Ebert chose "Kane": the most & Gene refused to say, until the end & called "2001" his "Desert Island Choice" Ebert's hero/idol was MITCHUM by the way

& today Leonard Maltin (l950-) for many reasons, he once wrote me back from TV's ET & with it's logo on it on his top ten all-time fav. pix & I';ve purchased his annual movie book every yr since 1987, getting his very last next month y the way & unlike most contemporary critics, Leonard adores-(like our own Mr. 0sborne) Hollywoods Golden Age/Studio-System the most!  For trivia facts keepers, Maltin's top 10 that he snail-mailed me around 1987> *"Casablanca" "M. Falcon" (l94l), "Kane" "Singin' In the Rain" The 39Steps" ('35 version), "Dumbo" "His Girl Friday" "A Night at the 0pera" "King Kong" ('33), "Modern times" & "Swing Time"  His idol is: *Charles (Spence) Chaplin by the way & I match his top ten by (5)

& now these so-called critics have turned rightwing political? Michael Medved being the most obvious

THANX & PLEEESE NO MORE REX REED-(ever see him in one of the worst films yet made 1970's"Myra Breckinridge?")

51 minutes ago, jakeem said:

NEAT, don't care fir her, but back when I first starting to study cinematic history & somewhat pasying attention to the *Oscars-0(around 1978/79) Her magazine was IT back then

She might be both a "GP" & a host-(especially the former)

She'ws the one that insited in her mag that *Warren & his marvelous 1978 "Heaven Can Wait" would sweep  Wonder how she felt when it only took home Best art-Direction-(for the heaven sequence & "The Concord")