[[Template core/front/global/tcmTabBar is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
nancynancy

Rex Reed would be a great TCM Host

45 posts in this topic

I think I would vote for Army Archerd. He knew everyone in and everything about Hollywood. He was my first primary source on the Stars. 

He retired from  Variety after more than 50 years in 2005 and he died in 2009.

22 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

I think I would vote for Army Archerd. He knew everyone in and everything about Hollywood. He was my first primary source on the Stars. 

He retired from  Variety after more than 50 years in 2005 and he died in 2009.

Well HECK Princess, if we can vote for DEAD people, in THAT case I'll cast MINE for one of the greatest film critics of all time...James Agee.

;)

(...now there's ya a guy who would've been VERY interesting to hear his thoughts regarding the movies TCM shows, and would make Rex Reed seem like...well, he'd have been a hell of lot more insightful about the films being shown than Rexy Boy Reed could ever muster, anyway)

Would very much enjoy seeing Rex Reed as a host, or hosting various segments on TCM.  He was on the talk shows a lot when I was growing up, and my mother and I got a kick out of watching his witty, bitchy, wise comments from Merv or Johnny's couch on movies and movie stars, or better yet, his own life.  Maybe he's said a few undiplomatic things in recent years, but as the decades march on, don't we all?  I'd be happy just to hear him talk about life at the Dakota.

For me he will always be relevant.  I can imagine him discussing The Women, various Mitchell Leisen movies, or his 70s favorites in that wonderful voice, waiting for that zinger sure to offend the weak of heart.

• Like 2

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 5:27 PM, Hibi said:

And why is that???

NAME IT? Everyone I've ever known despises this snob

14 hours ago, TheGayDivorcee said:

Would very much enjoy seeing Rex Reed as a host, or hosting various segments on TCM.  He was on the talk shows a lot when I was growing up, and my mother and I got a kick out of watching his witty, bitchy, wise comments from Merv or Johnny's couch on movies and movie stars, or better yet, his own life.  Maybe he's said a few undiplomatic things in recent years, but as the decades march on, don't we all?  I'd be happy just to hear him talk about life at the Dakota.

For me he will always be relevant.  I can imagine him discussing The Women, various Mitchell Leisen movies, or his 70s favorites in that wonderful voice, waiting for that zinger sure to offend the weak of heart.

YUK!

• Thanks 1

I wonder if "he'd" be interested, after some of these crappy replies.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

I wonder if "he'd" be interested, after some of these crappy replies.

Hmmm...kind'a doubt Rex reads any of the stuff we Hoi polloi post around here, MCOH.

Of course then again, I suppose ya never know, huh.

(...naaaaaaah, probably not...I mean does even Ben M. read anything we post around here?...nope, I don't THINK so...in fact, I believe "The Czar or Noir" is pretty much the ONLY one I know of that occasionally has, ya know)

On 1/26/2018 at 10:40 PM, JeanneCrain said:

I miss Robert, particularly the new years eve tux-n-champagne intros...it would be nice to see him now-n-then

Like  HOW????

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, TheGayDivorcee said:

And they say kids can't communicate these days.

If that one word is concise and to the point, it's good communication.  If the word is colorful and down to earth,  all the better.

23 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

If that one word is concise and to the point, it's good communication.  If the word is colorful and down to earth,  all the better.

Well, it fails on both counts here.

2 hours ago, TheGayDivorcee said:

Well, it fails on both counts here.

Truth is all comments are subjective. But they do tell you something about the person making the comment.

• Like 1

CBS Sunday Morning has scheduled a segment about Rex Reed tomorrow. He talks to correspondent Mo Rocca about his career and this year's Oscar nominations. 

Hope he remembers this time that "The Shape of Water" wasn't directed by Benicio del Toro.

rex-reed-interview-620.jpg

• Haha 1

Thanks for the clip--he's still got it!  Haven't seen him in ages, but it takes me back to watching him on the talk shows decades ago.  It was also a delicious discovery of gay men and a brand of sometimes scathing wit I had yet to encounter as a clueless young teenager.  (Not saying all gay men are like Rex Reed, not that it would be a bad thing!) 

This thread has really penetrated my unconscious, as last night I dreamt I met Rex Reed himself at a sparkling New York City cocktail party.  If only!

Whoops, somehow Jakeem's post didn't show up.  

Thanks for the clip--he's still got it!  Haven't seen him in ages, but it takes me back to watching him on the talk shows decades ago.  It was also a delicious discovery of gay men and a brand of sometimes scathing wit I had yet to encounter as a clueless young teenager.  (Not saying all gay men are like Rex Reed, not that it would be a bad thing!) 

This thread has really penetrated my unconscious, as last night I dreamt I met Rex Reed himself at a sparkling New York City cocktail party.  If only!

Whoops, somehow Jakeem's post didn't show up.  

Thank heavens not all gay men are like Rex Reed!  Seriously, although I liked some of his comments it's pretty obvious he doesn't "get" the fantasy-horror genre with films like GET OUT and THE SHAPE OF WATER (I admit I did  laugh at his reference to CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON when discussing SHAPE).  Yes, thanks for sharing the clip.  It was fun.

• Like 1