Sign in to follow this  
Sepiatone

Does it? Or does it NOT?

4 posts in this topic

You could ask this about a lot of different things.  And y'all feelfree to if you think of something.  In MY case, I thought of this( which proves I've too much time on my hands):

We know there's a class of medicines known as ANTIBIOTICS.

And thank to TV ads we also know there's a class of nutritional food additives and supplements known as PROBIOTICS.  My question then is,

If a doctor prescribes antibiotics for a patient to combat some certain condition, and that patient then eats food containing probiotics,  do they cancel each other out?  :wacko:

;)  really, just havin' fun with the language.  I asked my wife' visiting physician this and he just chuckled.  But did say there's a remote possibility, depending on which antibiotic was prescribed and the source of the probiotic. That there ARE some antibiotics that can't be taken when eating certain foods or foods that can't be consumed when using them.  Something like that

Sepiatone

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

You could ask this about a lot of different things.  And y'all feelfree to if you think of something.  In MY case, I thought of this( which proves I've too much time on my hands):

And thank to TV ads we also know there's a class of nutritional food additives and supplements known as PROBIOTICS.  My question then is,

If a doctor prescribes antibiotics for a patient to combat some certain condition, and that patient then eats food containing probiotics,  do they cancel each other out?  :wacko:

;)  really, just havin' fun with the language.  I asked my wife' visiting physician this and he just chuckled.  But did say there's a remote possibility, depending on which antibiotic was prescribed and the source of the probiotic. That there ARE some antibiotics that can't be taken when eating certain foods or foods that can't be consumed when using them.  Something like that

Sepiatone

I try to avoid all food  that are processed with antibiotics and hormones. I started cutting out different foods about 25 years ago and in The Last 10 years I'm on a really restricted list.

While I'll never become a vegetarian, the upside of this is that my meat choices are fewer, so that I'm only eating half the amount of meat that I was probably eating even 5 years ago.

Probiotics seem to be in some yogurts and not in others.

The upside to all this interest in nutrition is that my local Kroger's and Walmart are carrying more and more minimally processed and organic foods than ever before.

2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Sepiatone

The probiotics I take says on the label:  if taking antibiotics wait two hours before taking probiotics.

I try avoid antibiotics, allow my body to do it's own fighting.  So far have not acquired a resistance to penicillin.  The over use of antibiotics is what has led to the rise of super bugs. I hate when people ask for them after acquiring a viral infection such as the common cold - antibiotics does not work against viruses.