Sign in to follow this  
FloydDBarber

Really bad but classic movies.

26 posts in this topic

I love Noir Alley and some of the sci fi films that I have seen on TCM.

Would a "bad cinema" night work?

Maybe just one film a week but not so horrible a film that no one would want to watch it.

A film like Robot Monster, Beast With a Million Eyes, Billy the Kid Meets Dracula and some 50's and 60's weird films.

Some of these films do show up occasionally on TCM but I consider Bad Cinema as an art in its own right.

It has to be a bad film but not hideously awful. It would need to have some value as a cult film or so rare that we have heard about it but never seen it before.

• Like 1

'Cult' status movies are the kind of that the Saturday night Underground slot covers, though the 50/60s B movie Sci-fi/creature-feature flicks tend to turn up in their own little spotlight groupings in the schedule.

Not sure I'd call it bad cinema, though. Low brow, low budget, maybe unintentionally funny, but I can't call something I enjoy, bad... :)

Maybe if it was "Robot Monster" which is pretty bad and funny at the same time.

Some of those cult movies such as "Eraserhead" are great films.

I refer to them as "So Bad It's Good", a term I adopted from the old IMDB message board.  For me they "are" and always have been essential.  Not to be confused with TCM's brand "The Essentials", hence "So Bad It's Good" in order to circumvent any misunderstandings, which would be completely understandable.

Just like The Maltese Falcon was the first-ever film to be featured on Noir Alley, something of equal stature would need to be the first-ever Bad Movie airing. I suspect if such a program ever came into being on TCM, Plan 9 from Outer Space would get the "honor", although it hasn't aired on TCM in 10 years, so I don't know if they're currently able to get the rights to air it.

One of my favorite films to watch is..."Zontar, the Thing from Venus".

Now firstly, it stars John Agar and that always makes for great viewing. He is so earnestly mundane, that I love watching him not emote. This was directed by Larry Buchanan, so enough said on that front. The plot is basically just what the IMDB review states with a straight face:

"Zontar has come to earth and has many ideas, like disabling the power supply of the entire world and taking possession of important officials with mind control devices."

Hmmm, this sounds a bit too familiar to current events so I need to stop writing and save the world from this scourge!

Apparently, Zontar lives!!!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, CaveGirl said:

One of my favorite films to watch is..."Zontar, the Thing from Venus".

Now firstly, it stars John Agar and that always makes for great viewing. He is so earnestly mundane, that I love watching him not emote. This was directed by Larry Buchanan, so enough said on that front.

Meaning, it was a garage-made "remake" of some better known American Int'l B-movie, in this case Peter Graves and Lee Van Cleef in Roger Corman's "It Conquered the World".

Just was looking at some recalcitrant youth walking by and his failed pompadour reminded me of one of my favorite Grade Z flicks. "Wild Guitar" starring Arch Hall, Junior and if you wondered what senior looks like, he's in the movie too. Arch Hall, Senior by the way looks nothing like his blondined and peroxided son, Archibald Junior. Daddy plays Junior's unscrupulous agent who is dastardly ripping the poor boy off and trying to corrupt him with chicks like Daisy, as played by Virginia Broderick and whatever happened to her and her swinging ways? This film is a classic from 1962 and was directed by crazed madman, Ray Dennis Steckler. It is gobs of fun with amazing songs as performed by Junior, and just watching his pompadour that looks like cotton candy is worth the price of admission. Showing his range in acting, you might also want to catch the follow-up, "The Sadist" which also stars Junior as a not so nice pervert. Anything with the Hall family in it, is worth watching fer shure!

I might have asked this question before. There was a movie made around 1958 where a young boy is turned into a werewolf because of nuclear testing. I only remember a scene of him sitting on the porch and a little while later he looks like a wolf boy.

9 hours ago, FloydDBarber said:

I might have asked this question before. There was a movie made around 1958 where a young boy is turned into a werewolf because of nuclear testing. I only remember a scene of him sitting on the porch and a little while later he looks like a wolf boy.

If it was a meteor and not nuclear testing, then it is probably Teenage Monster. You can check by reading my review here:

http://forums.tcm.com/topic/27767-richs-b-and-worse-horror-movie-thread/?page=9

On 1/15/2018 at 8:33 PM, sewhite2000 said:

Just like The Maltese Falcon was the first-ever film to be featured on Noir Alley, something of equal stature would need to be the first-ever Bad Movie airing. I suspect if such a program ever came into being on TCM, Plan 9 from Outer Space would get the "honor", although it hasn't aired on TCM in 10 years, so I don't know if they're currently able to get the rights to air it.

Uhhh..... Plan 9 is a public domain film. There are no rights to it....

• Thanks 1

I agree on Plan 9 from Outer Space. I thought Ed Wood, the movie they made with Johnny Depp, about Plan 9 was very entertaining. Poor Ed Wood; if he only knew he was memorialized by that Depp film.

• Like 2

Yeah.  And I wonder what Lugosi would have thought about MARTIN LANDAU'S performance.

And I STILL wonder if Bela ever called Karloff "That limey ****sucker!" :D

And didn't VINCE D'ONOFRIO make a convincing ORSON WELLES? 

Sepiatone

37 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

And didn't VINCE D'ONOFRIO make a convincing ORSON WELLES? 

Except that at the time Welles was fixing to make Touch of Evil, he looked like this:

Orson Welles in Touch of Evil (1958)

55 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

And I STILL wonder if Bela ever called Karloff "That limey ****sucker!" :D

Seersucker? ;)

• Haha 1

Now, I KNEW Otto was gonna do that anyway, so I saved him the trouble. ;)

Sepiatone  NOTE:  "Seersucker" reminded me of comic RIP TAYLOR'S old bit---"Like my suit?  It's seersucker.  Yeah, I'm the sucker that bought it at SEARS!" :D 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Hoganman1 said:

I agree on Plan 9 from Outer Space. I thought Ed Wood, the movie they made with Johnny Depp, about Plan 9 was very entertaining. Poor Ed Wood; if he only knew he was memorialized by that Depp film.

For the bad reputation (well deserved) that Wood got as being one of the worst filmmakers of all time, even though he wasn't alive to see it, in a way he got the last laugh with having a film made about him. 

Even if he wasn't the best filmmaker though, I do admire the appreciation he had for Bela Lugosi, though it's unfortunate that appreciation didn't extend to giving Lugosi more worthwhile efforts to appear in film.

• Like 1

Well, my favorite has to be RETURN FROM THE PAST aka GALLERY OF HORROR. With Lon Chaney, John Carradine and Rochelle Hudson leading a cast of community theater players through five tales of terror from beyond the grave. Carradine narrates in rented tails with a collar three sizes to large and a crooked bow tie. He also plays a New England witch. The whole thing has dozens of memorable lines. I first saw it back in the early 70's on WPIX, then got to screen a print when I was working as a cutter at WCIX in Miami. Finally got my own print. There is a widescreen DVD as well. Main Title cribs Marlin Skiles' music from QUEEN OF OUTER SPACE.

Picture was a follow-up to THE WIZARD OF MARS.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

For the bad reputation (well deserved) that Wood got as being one of the worst filmmakers of all time, even though he wasn't alive to see it, in a way he got the last laugh with having a film made about him. 

Even if he wasn't the best filmmaker though, I do admire the appreciation he had for Bela Lugosi, though it's unfortunate that appreciation didn't extend to giving Lugosi more worthwhile efforts to appear in film.

That's the tragedy of the story. Ed thought those WERE worthwhile efforts in film. Thus he thought he was giving Bela great parts.

This dialogue makes me want to watch Ed Wood again. Does anyone know if it's on NetFlix or Amazon Prime? I guess I could Google it and find it somewhere online. 

35 minutes ago, Hoganman1 said:

This dialogue makes me want to watch Ed Wood again. Does anyone know if it's on NetFlix or Amazon Prime? I guess I could Google it and find it somewhere online. 

It does not appear that Ed Wood is available to stream on any service (at least on Amazon, Netflix or Hulu).  It looks like Plan 9 From Outer Space is on Amazon Prime.

You could probably find Ed Wood at your local library.