Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

William Holden as SOTM April 2018

27 posts in this topic

Screen shot 2018-01-18 at 4.43.23 PM.png

I was looking at 1918 births on Wiki. Anne Shirley and William Holden both were born on April 17th that year.

So maybe one of them will be Star of the Month. My guess is that Holden might be picked.

Screen shot 2018-01-18 at 4.43.42 PM.png

14 hours ago, TopBilled said:

So maybe one of them will be Star of the Month. My guess is that Holden might be picked.

Screen shot 2018-01-18 at 4.43.42 PM.png

I hope so. Holden will either be SOTM or have his own 24 hour 100th birthday tribute.

TopBilled,who do you think will be picked in the event neither are selected? There must be other stars with April birthdays out there. Alec Guinness comes to mind.

30 minutes ago, jinsinna13 said:

I hope so. Holden will either be SOTM or have his own 24 hour 100th birthday tribute.

TopBilled,who do you think will be picked in the event neither are selected? There must be other stars with April birthdays out there. Alec Guinness comes to mind.

Not sure. Sometimes they don't go with milestone birthdays and pick someone who has a lot of films in the TCM library. They did that with Lana Turner in December. But Holden is so popular and so easy to promote (advertise) that I think they will definitely pick him. Plus it gives them a chance to bring in some special Paramount films like SUNSET BOULEVARD, STALAG 17 and SABRINA. They can fill the rest of the schedule with his Columbia work since they often partner with Sony on these kinds of things. He also did make some films at Warners and UA. So a 100th birthday tribute to Bill Holden is very doable. 

I agree, Holden seems like the obvious choice. SUNSET BOULEVARD pops up out of the blue on the March schedule, part of the Spotlight on 'great movie endings', so I have to assume they'll be bringing that title back in April. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Holden would be a great choice and it has been over 11 years since he was SOTM.

Great point, James. If Holden is selected, people also won't complain he is repeated too often. I'm waiting for my invitation from him. ;)

In the event Holden isn't selected, here are some possible SOTM candidates with their birthdays in April. I'm also adding May and June birthdays so we can refer back to this in the months ahead.

April: Alec Guinness, Marlon Brando, Spencer Tracy, Melvyn Douglas, Bette Davis, Gregory Peck, James Garner, John Gavin, Sonja Henie, Chuck Connors, Howard Keel, Peter Ustinov, Hugh O'Brian, Dudley Moore, Nina Foch, Anthony Quinn, Jack Klugman, Eve Arden, Bradford Dillman

May: Glenn Ford, Bing Crosby, Tyrone Power, Alice Faye, Anne Baxter, Orson Welles, Joseph Cotten, Albert Finney, Katharine Hepburn, James Mason, Henry Fonda, Robert Montgomery, Laurence Olivier, Herbert Marshall, John Payne

June: Paulette Goddard, Tony Curtis, Dean Martin, Robert Preston, Alexis Smith, Gene Wilder, Basil Rathbone, Dorothy McGuire, Errol Flynn, Martin Landau, Jane Russell, Glenda Farrell, Susan Hayward

• Thanks 1

On 1/19/2018 at 2:13 PM, jinsinna13 said:

In the event Holden isn't selected, here are some possible SOTM candidates with their birthdays in April. I'm also adding May and June birthdays so we can refer back to this in the months ahead.

April: Alec Guinness, Marlon Brando, Spencer Tracy, Melvyn Douglas, Bette Davis, Gregory Peck, James Garner, John Gavin, Sonja Henie, Chuck Connors, Howard Keel, Peter Ustinov, Hugh O'Brian, Dudley Moore, Nina Foch, Anthony Quinn, Jack Klugman, Eve Arden, Bradford Dillman

May: Glenn Ford, Bing Crosby, Tyrone Power, Alice Faye, Anne Baxter, Orson Welles, Joseph Cotten, Albert Finney, Katharine Hepburn, James Mason, Henry Fonda, Robert Montgomery, Laurence Olivier, Herbert Marshall, John Payne

June: Paulette Goddard, Tony Curtis, Dean Martin, Robert Preston, Alexis Smith, Gene Wilder, Basil Rathbone, Dorothy McGuire, Errol Flynn, Martin Landau, Jane Russell, Glenda Farrell, Susan Hayward

Are any of these reaching a 100th birthday?

When Orson Welles' 100th birthday occurred in 2015, TCM did a spotlight on him as director. Susan Hayward, Anthony Quinn and Laurence Olivier were all chosen recently. 

Surprisingly, Tony Curtis has not been selected yet.

I have it on good authority that TCM will be honoring William Holden in April. I don't know if Holden will be the SOTM officially, but I do know that Ben Mankiewicz and Stefanie Powers will be in studio for TCM next week, recording wraparounds for 15 Holden films that will air in April. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Barton_Keyes said:

I have it on good authority that TCM will be honoring William Holden in April. I don't know if Holden will be the SOTM officially, but I do know that Ben Mankiewicz and Stefanie Powers will be in studio for TCM next week, recording wraparounds for 15 Holden films that will air in April. 

Oh that's great. I'm excited. Thanks Barton.

When the schedule finally becomes available, we'll post the info here in the thread.

DVYEYdaUQAA32Lb.jpg:large

DVk071pVoAEe_UH.jpg

Ben Mankiewicz and Stefanie Powers were in studio for TCM today (February 6, 2018) to talk about William Holden. 

• Like 1

I really hope that William Holden is selected SOTM.  Over the past few years I've collected and viewed 64 of his films.  He basically came off as a real regular guy-very natural acting.  I have so many favorites among his films that the list would be too long. Anyhow, it'd be great if he is SOTM.

• Like 2

On 2/7/2018 at 4:55 PM, don96 said:

I really hope that William Holden is selected SOTM.  Over the past few years I've collected and viewed 64 of his films.  He basically came off as a real regular guy-very natural acting.  I have so many favorites among his films that the list would be too long. Anyhow, it'd be great if he is SOTM.

Hopefully we'll find out soon if he's going to be Star of the Month. I'm curious to find out which titles Stefanie Powers will be commenting on with Ben.

Screen shot 2018-02-11 at 9.26.09 AM.png

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Hopefully we'll find out soon if he's going to be Star of the Month. I'm curious to find out which titles Stefanie Powers will be commenting on with Ben.

Screen shot 2018-02-11 at 9.26.09 AM.png

BORN YESTERDAY is going to be one of them, as Ben Mankiewicz mentioned on Twitter last week that he had watched the film in preparation for his conversation with Stefanie Powers.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Barton_Keyes said:

BORN YESTERDAY is going to be one of them, as Ben Mankiewicz mentioned on Twitter last week that he had watched the film in preparation for his conversation with Stefanie Powers.

Great. So if he is SOTM, then we'll know which night she's appearing when we find out when BORN YESTERDAY is scheduled.

Schedule's up, and yes he is the Star of the Month in April (so I have edited the title of the thread).

Here's the lineup:

Screen shot 2018-02-13 at 2.48.41 PM.png

Monday the 2nd of April
GOLDEN BOY with Barbara Stanwyck
EXECUTIVE SUITE with June Allyson
OUR TOWN with Martha Scott
DEAR RUTH with Joan Caulfield
THE FLEET’S IN with Dorothy Lamour
MISS GRANT TAKES RICHMOND with Lucille Ball

Tuesday the 3rd of April
INVISIBLE STRIPES with George Raft

Monday the 9th of April
SUNSET BOULEVARD with Gloria Swanson
STALAG 17 with Don Taylor
THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI with Alec Guinness
TOWARD THE UNKNOWN with Lloyd Nolan
FORCE OF ARMS with Nancy Olson

Tuesday the 10th of April
BOOTS MALONE with Stanley Clements

Monday the 16th of April
THE MOON IS BLUE with David Niven
THE WORLD OF SUZIE WONG with Nancy Kwan
LOVE IS A MANY SPLENDORED THING with Jennifer Jones
APARTMENT FOR PEGGY with Jeanne Crain
FATHER IS A BACHELOR with Coleen Gray

Monday the 23rd of April
THE HORSE SOLDIERS with John Wayne
ARIZONA with Jean Arthur
THE WILD BUNCH with Robert Ryan
WILD ROVERS with Ryan O’Neal
THE MAN FROM COLORADO with Glenn Ford

Tuesday the 24th of April
ESCAPE FROM FORT BRAVO with Eleanor Parker
ALVAREZ KELLY with Richard Widmark
RACHEL AND THE STRANGER with Loretta Young
TEXAS with Glenn Ford

Monday the 30th of April
BORN YESTERDAY with Judy Holliday
PICNIC with Kim Novak
NETWORK with Faye Dunaway
S.O.B. with Julie Andrews
THE EARTHLING with Ricky Schroder

• Like 6

15 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Schedule's up, and yes he is the Star of the Month in April (so I have edited the title of the thread).

Here's the lineup:

Screen shot 2018-02-13 at 2.48.41 PM.png

Monday the 2nd of April
GOLDEN BOY with Barbara Stanwyck
EXECUTIVE SUITE with June Allyson
OUR TOWN with Martha Scott
DEAR RUTH with Joan Caulfield
THE FLEET’S IN with Dorothy Lamour
MISS GRANT TAKES RICHMOND with Lucille Ball

Tuesday the 3rd of April
INVISIBLE STRIPES with George Raft

Monday the 9th of April
SUNSET BOULEVARD with Gloria Swanson
STALAG 17 with Don Taylor
THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI with Alec Guinness
TOWARD THE UNKNOWN with Lloyd Nolan
FORCE OF ARMS with Nancy Olson

Tuesday the 10th of April
BOOTS MALONE with Stanley Clements

Monday the 16th of April
THE MOON IS BLUE with David Niven
THE WORLD OF SUZIE WONG with Nancy Kwan
LOVE IS A MANY SPLENDORED THING with Jennifer Jones
APARTMENT FOR PEGGY with Jeanne Crain
FATHER IS A BACHELOR with Coleen Gray

Monday the 23rd of April
THE HORSE SOLDIERS with John Wayne
ARIZONA with Jean Arthur
THE WILD BUNCH with Robert Ryan
WILD ROVERS with Ryan O’Neal
THE MAN FROM COLORADO with Glenn Ford

Tuesday the 24th of April
ESCAPE FROM FORT BRAVO with Eleanor Parker
ALVAREZ KELLY with Richard Widmark
RACHEL AND THE STRANGER with Loretta Young
TEXAS with Glenn Ford

Monday the 30th of April
BORN YESTERDAY with Judy Holliday
PICNIC with Kim Novak
NETWORK with Faye Dunaway
S.O.B. with Julie Andrews
THE EARTHLING with Ricky Schroder

TopBilled, thank you for this wonderful William Holden SOTM schedule. Holden is well deserved. (Those birthdays on one of my other posts were in the unlikely event he wasn't selected, but we can always refer back to it in May and June.)  I'm waiting for my invitation from him. ;)

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, jinsinna13 said:

TopBilled, thank you for this wonderful William Holden SOTM schedule. Holden is well deserved. (Those birthdays on one of my other posts were in the unlikely event he wasn't selected, but we can always refer back to it in May and June.)  I'm waiting for my invitation from him. 

You're welcome. It's a very good schedule, thanks to TCM's programmers.

I would have added SABRINA and BREEZY.

It looks like Stefanie Powers' comments will air at the end of April.

• Like 1

Great news!  I'll have to make sure I have some space on the DVR if I don't catch them "live."  My favorite Bill Holden movies are SUNSET BLVD., STALAG 17, EXECUTIVE SUITE and NETWORK.  I can watch them over and over.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TopBilled said:

You're welcome. It's a very good schedule, thanks to TCM's programmers.

I would have added SABRINA and BREEZY.

It looks like Stefanie Powers' comments will air at the end of April.

Actually, Ben Mankiewicz said that he and Powers would be introducing 15 Holden films together. Looking at the schedule, my guess is they'll be introducing the first three films on the lineup each night of the festival. 

1 hour ago, Barton_Keyes said:

Actually, Ben Mankiewicz said that he and Powers would be introducing 15 Holden films together. Looking at the schedule, my guess is they'll be introducing the first three films on the lineup each night of the festival. 

Thanks. Yes, not all of us follow Ben on Twitter. So we need people like you to keep us in the loop!

I'm a Stefanie Powers fan so this works for me. Loved her on Hart to Hart.

I think it's interesting how this thread has already surpassed the Charles Boyer thread in views. This thread was created about a month ago, and the Boyer thread was created four months ago plus Boyer's tribute has come and gone. 

Does this mean Boyer was not very popular with TCM's viewers? Or that William Holden is just so incredibly popular he overshadows other honorees?

I know citing thread views is not very scientific but generally speaking, I am surprised there wasn't more posting and viewing in the Boyer thread. Most of the channel's Stars of the Month benefit from the increased exposure and publicity.

18 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I think it's interesting how this thread has already surpassed the Charles Boyer thread in views. This thread was created about a month ago, and the Boyer thread was created four months ago plus Boyer's tribute has come and gone. 

Does this mean Boyer was not very popular with TCM's viewers? Or that William Holden is just so incredibly popular he overshadows other honorees?

I know citing thread views is not very scientific but generally speaking, I am surprised there wasn't more posting and viewing in the Boyer thread. Most of the channel's Stars of the Month benefit from the increased exposure and publicity.

I can't speak for anyone else obviously, but Holden is one of the actors whose work I'm trying to see all of. I like Boyer alright, but he's not one of those that I'm trying to be a completist with.

According to my list, I've seen 44 of Holden's 68 movies. Out of the ones showing in April, I haven't seen:

• Dear Ruth
  • Toward the Unknown
  • The Earthling

I also haven't seen Texas, but I already have that one recorded to watch.

Here are the titles I haven't seen, and that aren't being shown in April:

• Those Were the Days! (1940)
  • I Wanted Wings (1941)
  • The Remarkable Andrew (1942)
  • Young and Willing (1943)
  • Blaze of Noon (1947)
  • Streets of Laredo (1949)
  • Dear Wife (1949)
  • Submarine Command (1951)
  • The Turning Point (1952)
  • Forever Female (1953)
  • The Proud and the Profane (1956)
  • The Counterfeit Traitor (1962)
  • Paris When It Sizzles (1964)
  • The Christmas Tree (1969)
  • The Revengers (1972)
  • The Blue Knight (1973)
  • Open Season (1974)
  • Fedora (1978)
  • Ashanti (1979)

• Like 1

Interesting comments, Larry. 

I'm sure there are some Boyer completists around.

As for Holden's output, I consider BREEZY his best film. And I also like THE COUNTERFEIT TRAITOR, which I consider Lilli Palmer's best performance.

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

I can't speak for anyone else obviously, but Holden is one of the actors whose work I'm trying to see all of. I like Boyer alright, but he's not one of those that I'm trying to be a completist with.

According to my list, I've seen 44 of Holden's 68 movies. Out of the ones showing in April, I haven't seen:

• Dear Ruth
  • Toward the Unknown
  • The Earthling

I also haven't seen Texas, but I already have that one recorded to watch.

Here are the titles I haven't seen, and that aren't being shown in April:

• Those Were the Days! (1940)
  • I Wanted Wings (1941)
  • The Remarkable Andrew (1942)
  • Young and Willing (1943)
  • Blaze of Noon (1947)
  • Streets of Laredo (1949)
  • Dear Wife (1949)
  • Submarine Command (1951)
  • The Turning Point (1952)
  • Forever Female (1953)
  • The Proud and the Profane (1956)
  • The Counterfeit Traitor (1962)
  • Paris When It Sizzles (1964)
  • The Christmas Tree (1969)
  • The Revengers (1972)
  • The Blue Knight (1973)
  • Open Season (1974)
  • Fedora (1978)
  • Ashanti (1979)

I'm a William Holden fan from way back. I went to see The Earthling on the weekend that it opened after seeing Holden promote it on The Tonight Show. Well, he showed up and they showed a clip, but Bill only talked about his animal reserve in Kenya.

The Earthling was Bill's penultimate movie before S.O.B. and it was obvious that he made it just to support his animal reserve in Kenya. LOL

Bill died in November of 1981 after S.O.B had come out in July. In retrospect I'm glad that the Blake Edwards movie was his swan song because his fans deserved something better to remember him by than The Earthling-- but mind you, the the Australian locale, the Technicolor and cute little Ricky Schroder were entertaining enough , if you had good popcorn too.

My favorite William Holden films are Sunset Boulevard,  Fedora and Network. The last two, I particularly like because the actor showed that despite his age and all that had gone in his life after all those years as a top Hollywood star, that he still had the ability-- the innate charisma-- to move an audience and take control of the screen, no matter who else was in the scene.

BTW-- Boots Malone was my first Bill Holden movie.

• Like 2