Sign in to follow this  
Crusader81

The Victors

4 posts in this topic

I recall a great movie (In parts) called The Victors. George Peppard, George Hamilton, Eli Wallach.

Black and white.....great gritty moments like a Christmas time execution. No dialogue, just "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" playing during the whole sequence.

I read that the producers forced the a change that had ridiculous romance segments added.

I think think this was the first film I ever saw that took the glamor out if war.......Of course I had not yet seen All Quiet on the Western Front.

Does anyone remember this film or have a comment ?

Great film, one of the first efforts by an American (Carl Foreman) to de-romanticize the Second World War. There are a lot of people who commented on this film in the Internet Movie Data Base (IMDB), and you'll enjoy reading them there.

This has never been released on home video, but it was released by Columbia Pictures and TCM may have access to it now. Hopefully they'll show the full, uncut version in a letterbox presentation some day soon. Ask them!

Good movie "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" playing during the as you said during reinactment of Pvt Slovak's execution.

This movie caused a lot of consternation in my granddad's house. He fought during WW2 and after the war as all GI's were as a hero. But this film took off a lot of the polish.

It also bothered me because I realized for the first time that there are a lot of vets without arms, legs, or faces that are rotting in VA hospitals I guess forgotten.

null

This was an interesting film. I've only seen it once on TV back when I was in high school. Besides the execution scene, there is a scene in which the GIs basically let the French kill some Germans who are trying to surrender to the Americans and a subplot in which an Italian woman becomes a prostitute after falling in love with a GI.

It might make an interesting double-feature with "The Big Red One." Oddly, the earlier film "The Victors" is far more glum than the later film "The Big Red One." (Okay, I only saw the version of "Big Red One" that was released in 1980, but that film seemed to say that if you are one of the stars, you can go through the war from North Africa to central Germany without anything bad happening to you.)