rayban

OSCAR INSANITY!

205 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, Hibi said:

2 Ruperts for the price of one! I like that name. Sounds like a poet/artist type........

Or a British bear...

Image result for rupert the bear paul mccartney

Rupert Graves has done some fine work in the movies, but, as far as I know, he was never nominated for an Oscar. 

Rupert Graves in "The Madness Of King George" -

f0e2f594c052535278dd5321eca18c59.jpg

He did win The Best Actor Award at the Montreal Film Festival for "Intimate Relations" -

intimate.jpg

One of Rupert Graves' best roles is as Freddie in A Room with a View.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hibi said:

2 Ruperts for the price of one! I like that name. Sounds like a poet/artist type........

What are the odds of there being two "Ruperts" in the same film? Those two Ruperts should get together with Rupert Grint from Harry Potter.  

I remember being amused by the fact that In Search of the Castaways has two actors in it with the first name of Wilfrid! 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

What are the odds of there being two "Ruperts" in the same film? Those two Ruperts should get together with Rupert Grint from Harry Potter.  

I remember being amused by the fact that In Search of the Castaways has two actors in it with the first name of Wilfrid! 

I always get a kick out of the opening credits for the 1947 film "Crossfire."

Image result for crossfire starring robert cummings, robert ryan and robert mitchum

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jakeem said:

I always get a kick out of the opening credits for the 1947 film "Crossfire."

Image result for crossfire starring robert cummings, robert ryan and robert mitchum

I wish they would have just gone for it and hired an all Robert cast and crew.  I suppose if they needed some women, they could find some Robertas.  

• Haha 1

Of course though, what would have been fun although it never happened, was if they had created for the screen an Oscar Wilde adaptation with music by Oscar Hammerstein starring Oskar Werner, Oscar Holmolka, and Oscar Levant that ended up being up for many Oscars. ;)

• Like 2

14 hours ago, rayban said:

Rupert Graves has done some fine work in the movies, but, as far as I know, he was never nominated for an Oscar. 

I've seen him on stage several times, mostly notably in a play called A Madhouse in Goa. He was brilliant, played a young film producer from Brooklyn. He was even better than Vanessa Redgrave, who was also in the cast. 

I also saw him in A Midsummer Night's Dream; and in Hurlyburly, a play by David Rabe, in which The curtain went up on a nude Rupert Graves, lying on his side, his butt facing the audience. (He also had a nude scene in A Midsummer Night's Dream, which was directed by Robert Lepage. Not the best production, be Graves was excellent as Lysander.)

I highly recommend the utterly depressing Clapham Junction, a television drama about a tragic gay-bashing case in South London.

tumblr_mk07jrSGny1s7qd3fo1_500.jpg
Rupert Graves, Vanessa Redgrave (A Madhouse in Goa)

tumblr_mst8ahFz981rpvebao3_1280.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Swithin said:

I've seen him on stage several times, mostly notably in a play called A Madhouse in Goa. He was brilliant, played a young film producer from Brooklyn. He was even better than Vanessa Redgrave, who was also in the cast. 

Can I have your life, please? You see the best stuff. Thanks for sharing it here.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Swithin said:

I also saw him in A Midsummer Night's Dream; and in Hurlyburly, a play by David Rabe, in which The curtain went up on a nude Rupert Graves, lying on his side, his butt facing the audience. (He also had a nude scene in A Midsummer Night's Dream, which was directed by Robert Lepage. Not the best production, be Graves was excellent as Lysander.)

I highly recommend the utterly depressing Clapham Junction, a television drama about a tragic gay-bashing case in South London.

tumblr_mk07jrSGny1s7qd3fo1_500.jpg
Rupert Graves, Vanessa Redgrave (A Madhouse in Goa)

tumblr_mst8ahFz981rpvebao3_1280.jpg

What was "A Madhouse in Goa" about?

I recently saw Martin Sherman's "Gently Down The Stream" with Harvey Fierstein at the Public Theater.

It also starred Gabriel Ebert and Christopher Sears.

It was mesmerizing. 

05gently2-master675.jpg

10 hours ago, rayban said:

What was "A Madhouse in Goa" about?

I recently saw Martin Sherman's "Gently Down The Stream" with Harvey Fierstein at the Public Theater.

It also starred Gabriel Ebert and Christopher Sears.

It was mesmerizing. 

I met Gabriel Ebert a few years ago. Lovely man -- great actor. Plays the ukulele well. I've seen him on stage a few times, but not in the play you mentioned -- sorry I missed that. I saw him in 4000 Miles, Brief Encounter, and Casa Valentina.

eber.jpg

Gabriel Ebert in Casa Valentina

Here's an audio clip from 1989 (the first six minutes on this link) about A Madhouse in Goa, featuring interviews with Vanessa Redgrave and Martin Sherman. It also includes an audio clip of Redgrave and Rupert Graves.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03m0s2h

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Swithin said:

I met Gabriel Ebert a few years ago. Lovely man -- great actor. Plays the ukulele well. I've seen him on stage a few times, but not in the play you mentioned -- sorry I missed that. I saw him in 4000 Miles, Brief Encounter, and Casa Valentina.

eber.jpg

Gabriel Ebert in Casa Valentina

Here's an audio clip from 1989 (the first six minutes on this link) about A Madhouse in Goa, featuring interviews with Vanessa Redgrave and Martin Sherman. It also includes an audio clip of Redgrave and Rupert Graves.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03m0s2h

Thank you so much.

On 1/31/2018 at 9:22 PM, drednm said:

One of Rupert Graves' best roles is as Freddie in A Room with a View.

Wasnt he in Maurice too? Think so. The gardener?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Wasnt he in Maurice too? Think so. The gardener?

I think he was a stable boy or groom.... been a while since I've seen it.

2 minutes ago, drednm said:

I think he was a stable boy or groom.... been a while since I've seen it.

YES! The kind of guy I would hire. (LOL)

8 hours ago, Hibi said:

YES! The kind of guy I would hire. (LOL)

In "Maurice", Rupert Graves played Alec Scudder, the undergamekeeper.

He and Maurice Hall fell in love.

Maurice+Alec+at+Museum.jpg

Edited by TCMModerator1
Inappropriate content removed

On 1/29/2018 at 7:50 PM, Bethluvsfilms said:

Again, we'll have to agree to disagree. Garland had a GREAT voice IMO and many others feel the same way.

You don't care for it, that is your opinion, but it doesn't make her 'overrated'. Frankly I hate that word, it makes it sound like those who like a certain something are wrong for liking it.

I admit I don't care much for Streisand myself, but she also has her share of fans. Doesn't make her 'overrated' either.

It appears you don't understand what 'overrated' means.   For example: most people believe Garland had a "GREAT voice".   For those in the minority that do NOT believe this,  Garland is overrated.

I.e. 'overrated' is NOT a judgement of the 'artist' but instead a judgement on the "opinion of the majority" about said artist.   

The same is true (in the inverse) for underrated.       

PS: I believe Garland has a great voice,  but I like the singing style of others more since I favor a jazz swing style and that is rare to see from Judy. 

2 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

It appears you don't understand what 'overrated' means.   For example: most people believe Garland had a "GREAT voice".   For those in the minority that do NOT believe this,  Garland is overrated.

I.e. 'overrated' is NOT a judgement of the 'artist' but instead a judgement on the "opinion of the majority" about said artist.  

I know perfectly well what 'overrated' means. The people who do enjoy Garland are not wrong for liking her, neither are the people who don't like her.

That's why I have no use for the word. You can disagree with someone's opinion at the same time realizing they have the right to that opinion.

3 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I know perfectly well what 'overrated' means. The people who do enjoy Garland are not wrong for liking her, neither are the people who don't like her.

That's why I have no use for the word. You can disagree with someone's opinion at the same time realizing they have the right to that opinion.

No one said one was 'wrong' for liking Garland.   When one says someone is overrated they are saying "I have an opinion that is different from the majority'.

Like you I don't like the use of the term 'overrated' since it is an indirect insult on the opinions of others.   I.e. I prefer one just state their opinion of the artist instead of their opinion about the opinion of the majority.

• Like 1

Just now, jamesjazzguitar said:

No one said one was 'wrong' for liking Garland.   When one says someone is overrated they are saying "I have an opinion that is different from the majority'.

Like you I don't like the use of the term 'overrated' since it is an indirect insult on the opinions of others.   I.e. I prefer one just state their opinion of the artist instead of their opinion about the opinion of the majority.

Gotcha. I definitely agree with you on this.

On 2/2/2018 at 8:12 PM, ChristineHoard said:

What is it about stable boys?  They always get all kinds of action.  ;)

LMREO!!!!