Sign in to follow this  
lydecker

The End of "TV"

156 posts in this topic

Kinda wondering about that too, TIKI.

And I notice now that they're gonna give TRADING SPACES another try.

Surprised to see it will still be on TLC, and not switch to HGTV, which usually shows those type of "reno" and home decorating shows lately.  My wife used to LOVE that show.  But too, did eventually get tired of it and their ego driven designers.

Sepiatone

On 4/5/2018 at 3:01 AM, TikiSoo said:

Ah don't be so sure about "network influence".....some of you may recall when I was called about appearing in a reality TV show- not only were they providing a script, but they would dictate wardrobe, make up AND my hair style! All I could imagine was those poor Duck Dynasty guys whom were forced to grow those long beards. (also told they would "bleep" my dialogue liberally to make it seem like I was swearing)
The money offered was crazy, but I declined to preserve my privacy, sanity & reputation.

"Reality TV" isn't real at all. Very little on television isn't scripted. There are photos of those guys before they were famous floating around the net. Clean cut and preppy. Its a way to produce programs cheaply since there is no need to hire well known celebrities. And if they fall out of favor, out with the old and bring in some new unknown people and start up again. 

@Tikisoo: Maintaining one's self respect can be priceless.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The show was to be about my business...most of you know what that is...similar to American Pickers. The girl on the phone kept asking what type of infighting goes on between employees and I said NONE. (because I fire anyone who gives me trouble-I'm sole proprietor) I was then told they would provide workers & clients (actors!) & jobs and I would have to "play along".

I'm almost 60 year old woman. There was NO WAY I was going to allow them to over-make up my face, draw on tattoos or color my hair to make me look like an "edgy creative person".

It really goes to show you that what you're watching is all manufactured.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

The show was to be about my business...most of you know what that is...similar to American Pickers. The girl on the phone kept asking what type of infighting goes on between employees and I said NONE. (because I fire anyone who gives me trouble-I'm sole proprietor) I was then told they would provide workers & clients (actors!) & jobs and I would have to "play along".

I'm almost 60 year old woman. There was NO WAY I was going to allow them to over-make up my face, draw on tattoos or color my hair to make me look like an "edgy creative person".

Woah that's crazy.  I would be hesitant to participate in that as well--especially if your business is your livelihood (which I'm sure it is).  I don't watch reality shows because they seem so absurd and just plain stupid.  Your story confirms what I suspected about the "reality" shows and confirms why I don't watch them.  

On 4/7/2018 at 7:07 AM, TikiSoo said:

Wow, I didn't know that... I thought that you were just "joshing" in that previous post...
Much impressed Tiki (even more than I was before).:)
Thanks for this insight into what I had long suspected all along.

The only reality show that I thought was "legit" (at the time) was SURVIVOR. I became a regular watcher of that series at its inception, but have pretty well weaned myself from it the last couple of years. 
Though I confess that I do occassionally watch Discovery Channels NAKED AND AFRAID every now and then.
I still think that those two "shows" remain "unscripted" aside from the scenarios that the "players" are tossed into.
Sort of like lets set this up and see how they react to that.
However, if you have some behind scenes insight to either of those please feel free to burst my bubble with enlightenment. ;)

11 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

The show was to be about my business...most of you know what that is...similar to American Pickers.

You can pick your friends,
And you can pick your nose,
But you can't pick your friend's nose.

• Haha 1

On 4/6/2018 at 5:54 PM, GGGGerald said:

"Reality TV" isn't real at all. Very little on television isn't scripted.

Hell, there's even a lot more post-production in game shows these days.

• Haha 1

I know some who think ALL of those are also scripted and rehearsed as well.  Like everyone BUT the studio and home audience ALREADY KNOWS who's gonna win, and what's gonna be said by who.  My one brother in law feels this about FAMILY FEUD.  

Sepiatone

4 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I know some who think ALL of those are also scripted and rehearsed as well.  Like everyone BUT the studio and home audience ALREADY KNOWS who's gonna win, and what's gonna be said by who.  My one brother in law feels this about FAMILY FEUD.  

Sepiatone

I find that hard to believe.   Why?   If those playing the game know the outcome (e.g. they are told to give a correct or incorrect answer),  they are better actors than Bette Davis and Bogie!     I.e. to make it look like they didn't know,  would be very, very,  difficult. 

Also,  what is gained by doing so?    OK,  I can see a retake here or there if a reaction was 'off' (e.g. someone cussed),  but that would be a rare exception. 

I don't see it either.  But some people are pretty cynical, and although I also don't see it, this same brother in law thinks because STEVE HARVEY is the host, that black families win more often than do the white families, and most shows seem to often pit one against the other.

Sepiatone

• Sad 1

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 6:01 AM, TikiSoo said:

Ah don't be so sure about "network influence".....some of you may recall when I was called about appearing in a reality TV show- not only were they providing a script, but they would dictate wardrobe, make up AND my hair style! All I could imagine was those poor Duck Dynasty guys whom were forced to grow those long beards. (also told they would "bleep" my dialogue liberally to make it seem like I was swearing)
The money offered was crazy, but I declined to preserve my privacy, sanity & reputation.

I can't fathom how anybody can stand to watch those shows. Bridezillas is advertised on the channel that plays Monk. I simply can't understand how this show can appeal to anyone with half a brain. Disgusting.

I very seldom watch any reality tv shows. None of their 'stories' are really based on reality of all, they are and have always been scripted. 

You couldn't pay me enough money to have to sit through the Kardashians or THE BACHELOR especially.

On 4/8/2018 at 9:18 AM, jamesjazzguitar said:

I find that hard to believe.   Why?   If those playing the game know the outcome (e.g. they are told to give a correct or incorrect answer),  they are better actors than Bette Davis and Bogie!     I.e. to make it look like they didn't know,  would be very, very,  difficult. 

Also,  what is gained by doing so?    OK,  I can see a retake here or there if a reaction was 'off' (e.g. someone cussed),  but that would be a rare exception. 

As far as I know, the various networks which broadcast game/quiz shows still have "Standards and Practices" divisions which oversee these types of programs in order to insure the outcomes are not in any manner "fixed". And, something of which of course were instituted after the game/quiz show scandals of the 1950s.

I remember seeing these S&P people on the sets of the various quiz shows I was a contestant on back in the '70s and '80s.

(...of course then again and considering how the "standards and practices" of SO many Americans now days, and especially many of the politcos now days AND one in particular, seems to have gone by the wayside in very recent times, I suppose I COULD be wrong about this sort of thing STILL being a part of American television production methods TOO, huh!) ;)

LOL

Darg, you gotta give James a little "leeway" these days.  Seems he's been reading things "between the lines" that aren't/weren't really there to begin with these days.  Like this whole "game show fix" thing.....

I mentioned only that my BROTHER IN LAW had the notion that a certain game show was "fixed", and never  was the claim made that anyone thought ALL the game shows were "rigged".

But in thinking about it, that sort of thing wouldn't be hard to do, or get away with.

Pay each "family" handsomely, and "contestants" wouldn't be hard to find.  And since it would be that NOBODY actually DOES win $20,000, nobody outside of the studio would be, or need to be any the wiser.   But then, it too, would be a costly enterprise since, as Darg pointed out, "standards and practices" is still in operation, too many of the "right" people would need to be adequately "greased" in order for it to come off.  Plus remember....

The acting profession probably STILL has the highest unemployment numbers, so finding ENOUGH out of work actors and actresses to play "families" for say, "Family Feud", or any other  game show contestants wouldn't be hard to do. ;)

Sepiatone

8 hours ago, Dargo said:

As far as I know, the various networks which broadcast game/quiz shows still have "Standards and Practices" divisions which oversee these types of programs in order to insure the outcomes are not in any manner "fixed". And, something of which of course were instituted after the game/quiz show scandals of the 1950s.

I remember seeing these S&P people on the sets of the various quiz shows I was a contestant on back in the '70s and '80s.

(...of course then again and considering how the "standards and practices" of SO many Americans now days, and especially many of the politcos now days AND one in particular, seems to have gone by the wayside in very recent times, I suppose I COULD be wrong about this sort of thing STILL being a part of American television production methods TOO, huh!) ;)

LOL

I agree 100%.   One is a fool is they believe the contestants are given the answers before hand,  or that they are scripted.    Like I said the only thing I could see is a retake.    It was someone else that implied his bro-in-law believed such crap.   

Aaaannnddd......

There ARE too, STILL some alive out there who STILL don't believe we've actually landed on the moon.  :rolleyes:

And that JFK is still being kept alive in that "special room" in a wing of the White House that also houses that "secret" SPACE ALIEN! :D

AND, I'll bet, there too ARE some idiots who actually DO believe Mexico is gonna pay for some sort of WALL that's supposed to be going up.  :rolleyes:

Sepiatone

• Haha 2

It always makes me smile with disbelief when I hear a bunch of Bachelor and Bachelorette fanatics go on and on about that "reality" show.
Trying to inject any rationale into such a "conversation" is akin to when I used to waste my time talking to some of my old acquaintances who avidly believed that everything they saw in "perfessnal rasslin" ("professional" wrestling) was real too! 
Or those that believed anything (and everything) in tabloid "news" print (i.e. the National Enquirer) was the gospel truth. :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 4/10/2018 at 11:43 AM, jamesjazzguitar said:

I agree 100%.   One is a fool is they believe the contestants are given the answers before hand,  or that they are scripted.    Like I said the only thing I could see is a retake.    It was someone else that implied his bro-in-law believed such crap.   

But you gotta remember.

The movie QUIZ SHOW wasn't  a fiction.  But that incident DID create the "standards and practices"  that regulate such shows.  I've brought this discussion up with some people I know and they agree that my brother in law in question is way off base with his opinion.  As one said, "NOBODY can script stupid as good as what people are capable of coming up with on their OWN. "   :D  And ya gotta admit:  Some of those "Feud" contestants DO come off as pretty dumb! ;)

Sepiatone

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 4/12/2018 at 4:57 AM, Sepiatone said:

Aaaannnddd......

There ARE too, STILL some alive out there who STILL don't believe we've actually landed on the moon.  :rolleyes:

And that JFK is still being kept alive in that "special room" in a wing of the White House that also houses that "secret" SPACE ALIEN! :D

AND, I'll bet, there too ARE some idiots who actually DO believe Mexico is gonna pay for some sort of WALL that's supposed to be going up.  :rolleyes:

Sepiatone

AND, just the other day the news hit that a recent survey showed that almost a third of all American millennials "are not sure" the Earth is really round!

(...aah, yes...I have SUCH hope for the future of our country now days)

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

On 4/13/2018 at 1:22 AM, Stephan55 said:

It always makes me smile with disbelief when I hear a bunch of Bachelor and Bachelorette fanatics go on and on about that "reality" show.
Trying to inject any rationale into such a "conversation" is akin to when I used to waste my time talking to some of my old acquaintances who avidly believed that everything they saw in "perfessnal rasslin" ("professional" wrestling) was real too! 
Or those that believed anything (and everything) in tabloid "news" print (i.e. the National Enquirer) was the gospel truth. :rolleyes:

What? I don't understand, Stephan. Are you trying to lie and say that the "Bachelor" and "Bachelorette" shows are not on the up and up? Next you will be saying that the "64,000 Question' was fixed and that Rita Hayworth didn't do her own singing in films. For shame!

Why are you so cynical? Not everything in life is fake ya know and by the way my dear uncle used to be a "professional wrestler" and he said every fall he took and every umbrella he was hit with by some old lady outside the ring was real...so there!

• Haha 1

This discussion puts me in mind of an episode I saw years ago on something like The Dating Game. The contestant was a young lady who was asked by the host (name forgotten, maybe Bob Eubank) what she was looking for in a man. She replied that she had thought long and hard about that issue. I leaned forward in my recliner awaiting a nuanced and maybe even poetic response. She said "He has got to be good looking, and he has to drive a nice car."

39 minutes ago, Thenryb said:

This discussion puts me in mind of an episode I saw years ago on something like The Dating Game. The contestant was a young lady who was asked by the host (name forgotten, maybe Bob Eubank) what she was looking for in a man. She replied that she had thought long and hard about that issue. I leaned forward in my recliner awaiting a nuanced and maybe even poetic response. She said "He has got to be good looking, and he has to drive a nice car."

Ya know how I mentioned earlier in this thing that I was a contestant on a few game shows back in the day, Thenryb?

Well, I know the host of The Dating Game back then was Jim Lange because the very first game show I was a contestant on in 1971 as a 19 year old was, yep, you guessed it, The Dating Game.

Bob Eubanks was the host of another of Chuck Barris' game show productions at that time...The Newlywed Game.

And yep again. the young lady who would end up picking me as her date on that show was quite a bit like the young lady you just described here. In other words, not the "deepest thinker" you're ever likely to run into out there. But hey, she WAS only 18 years old at the time herself, ya know.

(...oh, and one other thing here and in reference to something ELSE I mentioned earlier in this thing...back when I was that age, I at least KNEW for CERTAIN that the world was round, and apparently UNLIKE one-freakin'-THIRD of American youngsters TODAY!!!)

LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Well, I know the host of The Dating Game back then was Jim Lange because the very first game show I was a contestant on in 1971 as a 19 year old was, yep, you guessed it, The Dating Game.

Bob Eubanks was the host of another of Chuck Barris' game show productions at that time...The Newlywed Game.

So, how was the date? I do not think Jim Lange was the host of whatever show I was watching. I think it may have been The Love Connection hosted by Chuck Woolery.

9 hours ago, Dargo said:

Ya know how I mentioned earlier in this thing that I was a contestant on a few game shows back in the day, Thenryb?

And yep again. the young lady who would end up picking me as her date on that show was quite a bit like the young lady you just described here. In other words, not the "deepest thinker" you're ever likely to run into out there. But hey, she WAS only 18 years old at the time herself, ya know.

(...oh, and one other thing here and in reference to something ELSE I mentioned earlier in this thing...back when I was that age, I at least KNEW for CERTAIN that the world was round, and apparently UNLIKE one-freakin'-THIRD of American youngsters TODAY!!!)

LOL

Yeah, we've heard about it.......

9 hours ago, Thenryb said:

So, how was the date? I do not think Jim Lange was the host of whatever show I was watching. I think it may have been The Love Connection hosted by Chuck Woolery.

If it was Bob Eubanks it was The Newlywed Game. Lange hosted The Dating Game. I remember all those dumb shows......