Sign in to follow this  
DanteFiceti

Star of the Month

5 posts in this topic

Stars like Marlon Brando, Judy Garland and Elizabeth Taylor are always played

on Tcm, they shouldnt ever be Stars of the Month. That special title

should go to the stars who will be introduced to people for the first time. For example:

Marie Dressler was a good choice, shes not as popular as someone like Marilyn Monroe, but

she’s just as good! I hope to see William Haines, Lillian Gish, John Gilbert and Lon Chaney

as stars of the month OR CLARLES KING! From The Broadway Melody and Chasing Rainbows. There are countless

stars that havent been recognized so dont pick obvious choices. Im tired of

Elizabeth Taylor and Bette Davis. We all know them and their movies. How about Herbert Marshall

or Douglas Fairbanks or Rudolph Valentino? Or Gloria Swanson? Someone new!

32 minutes ago, DanteFiceti said:

Stars like Marlon Brando, Judy Garland and Elizabeth Taylor are always played

on Tcm, they shouldnt ever be Stars of the Month. That special title

should go to the stars who will be introduced to people for the first time. For example:

Marie Dressler was a good choice, shes not as popular as someone like Marilyn Monroe, but

she’s just as good! I hope to see William Haines, Lillian Gish, John Gilbert and Lon Chaney

as stars of the month OR CLARLES KING! From The Broadway Melody and Chasing Rainbows. There are countless

stars that havent been recognized so dont pick obvious choices. Im tired of

Elizabeth Taylor and Bette Davis. We all know them and their movies. How about Herbert Marshall

or Douglas Fairbanks or Rudolph Valentino? Or Gloria Swanson? Someone new!

Interestingly Brando and Monroe have never had a Star of the Month tribute. They've been included with Summer Under the Stars in August, meaning they received a 24-hour tribute but never a whole month-long retrospective. 

I'd also like to see William Haines get his due. Gish, Gilbert and Chaney Sr. have all been feted during Summer Under the Stars (usually one silent star is chosen each August). Ramon Novarro is another one. 

I agree Davis is overplayed but she did appear in many classic films, and they are in TCM's library.

People I would like to see honored (who've never even had a primetime spotlight) include:

Dorothy Malone
Peter Lawford
Vera-Ellen
Robert Preston
Spring Byington
Roger Moore
Karen Black
Alain Delon
Vera Ralston
Brian Aherne

• Like 2

Star of the Month selections are something that I always eagerly look forward to learning, though a lot of months, my reaction just ends up being "Meh ...". We just had the very MGM-heavy Lana Turner, and after 31 Days, we'll get Elizabeth Taylor, who was very MGM-heavy for the first part of her career. I wasn't really wowed by the selection of Charles Boyer initially, but I ended up enjoying it. It was a nice change of pace. I ended up watching eight Boyer films. And while I've seen Gaslight and Fanny probably 20 times each, other films like Cluny BrownThe Earrings of Madame de ...All This and Heaven Too and Love is a Ball were all first-time viewings for me, and it was only my second time to see Hold Back the Dawn. I hope the rest of the year also has some interesting and different choices!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

People I would like to see honored (who've never even had a primetime spotlight) include:

Dorothy Malone
Peter Lawford
Vera-Ellen
Robert Preston
Spring Byington
Roger Moore
Karen Black
Alain Delon
Vera Ralston
Brian Aherne

TopBilled, great list. I'm adding Donald O'Connor and Robert Vaughn to the list. Vaughn never got any sort of tribute after he passed away. (I was hoping for a SUTS tribute last year after the Oscars screwed up royally, but no such luck.)

Donald O'Connor would be impossible to pass up with this amount of energy.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jinsinna13 said:

TopBilled, great list. I'm adding Donald O'Connor and Robert Vaughn to the list. Vaughn never got any sort of tribute after he passed away. (I was hoping for a SUTS tribute last year after the Oscars screwed up royally, but no such luck.)

Donald O'Connor would be impossible to pass up with this amount of energy.

Thanks. We've discussed Robert Vaughn before, and you already know I'm a fan of his.

Welcome to the boards, DanteFiceti.