spence

My very early 2017 OIscar predictions...

33 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, calvinnme said:

Does anybody really believe that "Million Dollar Baby" was the best picture of 2004 OR could it be because the Academy was voting at the same time Congress was making a spectacle of itself over Terry Schiavo's right to die that the Academy wanted to send a message? I believe it was the latter. 

Well since the awards were handed out in late February, the Congressional Intervention took place in March, I doubt the Schiavo case had that much influence.

• Thanks 1

Its hard to say what will win Best Picture this year. Three Billboards is very polarizing and might not do well on a preferential ballot. Shape of Water is gaining steam, but sci-fi is rarely the academy's genre of choice. Lady Bird is beloved by a lot of people, but its been rather quiet on that front recently. Dunkirk and Get Out were probably released too early, Phantom Thread too late. The Post, Darkest Hour, and Call Me By Your Name are extreme long shots.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2018 at 4:56 PM, skimpole said:

One thing I dislike about the Oscars is that so much is about predicting who will win, rather than wondering who deserves to win.  To take the example of Best Actor, why does Oldman deserve the award more than Day-Lewis, aside from the idea "that it's his turn" while Day-Lewis already has three?

But comparing and judging the "best" performances of the year will always be: do you like this apple or prefer this orange? So many factors go into the award as in "it's his/her turnism, as some guess that's it's Oldman's this year  though the gravity and demands of the roles themselves count for a lot.

For better or worse, the "who deserves to win" conversation mostly takes place in retrospect and with hindsight, not before the event. There are threads on here all the time and have been quite a few recently about who "should" have won this or that in Year Whatever. But, yeah, before a winner is declared, society is all about trying to get into the heads of Academy members and predicting the winners.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

For better or worse, the "who deserves to win" conversation mostly takes place in retrospect and with hindsight, not before the event. There are threads on here all the time and have been quite a few recently about who "should" have won this or that in Year Whatever. But, yeah, before a winner is declared, society is all about trying to get into the heads of Academy members and predicting the winners.

Robert Redford had the best idea of all -- a foot race.

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 6:32 AM, EricJ said:

Here, spense!  I'm responding!  Now you don't have to post a "Where is everybody?  Doesn't anybody wannan tallk about Oscars some more?" post three hours later!

To EricJ, what is "Where is everybody" topic though?

18 minutes ago, jakeem said:

Hello Jakeem, I agree with most of what you wrote, but it's like any sport &  horce racin'  it's still fun to attempt to outguess what they may vote for & study it's history

It's sadly-(because it takes the fun part our of it), already looks as though we can see in what direction Hollywood is going for overall & "Shape.." sweep., &  with OLDMAN, McDORMAND, ROCKWELL, JANNEY & DEL TORO strongly coming out as victors come March 4th

19 minutes ago, jakeem said:

Jakeem, ever read & I think you may like that book by Danny Peary "Alternate Oscars?"

Only debit is he needs to revise it,. it stops with the 1991 movie year