Sign in to follow this  
starstricken

"Wings of Desire"

5 posts in this topic

I was about 3/4 through the German film "Wings of Desire" via on demand, and it suddenly blacked out with the "You Just Watched" screen. The problem was that I didn't "just" finish the movie.  It was to run until 1/29, and this was still 1/28 on the east coast.  There is nothing more annoying than to be absorbed in a film and then to have the projectionist pull it from under you.  Every time I tried to watch it again from the place where it stopped, the same problem would recur.  This stuff is happening far too often now on tcm.  Those dialogue boxes in the lower left corner are sure signs of trouble.  Perhaps tcm needs a bit less leftwing political indoctrination from Ben Mankiewicz and a bit more technical expertise so that your viewers can actually finish a movie when streaming from "on demand". Thank you.  

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 1/29/2018 at 9:02 PM, starstricken said:

I was about 3/4 through the German film "Wings of Desire" via on demand, and it suddenly blacked out with the "You Just Watched" screen. The problem was that I didn't "just" finish the movie.  It was to run until 1/29, and this was still 1/28 on the east coast.  There is nothing more annoying than to be absorbed in a film and then to have the projectionist pull it from under you.  Every time I tried to watch it again from the place where it stopped, the same problem would recur.  This stuff is happening far too often now on tcm.  Those dialogue boxes in the lower left corner are sure signs of trouble.  Perhaps tcm needs a bit less leftwing political indoctrination from Ben Mankiewicz and a bit more technical expertise so that your viewers can actually finish a movie when streaming from "on demand". Thank you.  

Hi starstricken,
I thoroughly relate with you on this.
I was tempted to rewatch Wings Of Desire (1987) ON-DEMAND, but noticed that when it began to play that the ON-DEMAND run-time was shorter than the actual movie.

The TCM schedule listed run time is (was) 130 min. (these times are not always accurate).
wiki gives the movie a 127 min run-time
imdb lists a 128 min run time.
I DVR'd this movie from TCM back in 5/22/2012  and the run-time was close to 128 min.

However when the movie "loaded" in TCM ON-DEMAND the "listed" stream-time was at 1.59.52 min (approx 120 min). This included Ben's intro with Joanna Going which ended at 5.44 min.
So ON-DEMAND streaming only gave the movie itself approx. 114 min (short by 14 min from the actual 128 min movie run-time). This was a clear warning to me that the movie would not be airing in its entirety in TCM ON-DEMAND.

However, after reading your post I again reloaded the movie and checked it out.
The film cuts out at 1.20.37 hr (80.37 min) - the intro (approx. 6 min) =  approx. 74 min stream time, actually shorting the 128 min movie by 54 min.
So even the listed ON-DEMAND stream-time was incorrect.
I just did this a few min ago when it was still 1/29/2018. According to the ON-DEMAND schedule at my end the movie is (was) listed as Available until 1/30/2018.
So this problem wasn't caused by the 7 day viewing window abruptly ending, this was another one of those "errors" originating at TCM by "whomever" was "in-charge" of making sure that this movie was fully loaded into their downstream servers.

This is NOT a unique problem. I have experienced it at various times myself over the years I've used TCM ON-DEMAND.
i.e. It happened a year ago when TCM previously aired The Silent Stranger (1968), a spaghetti western that they recently re-aired and this time was "completely" available ON-DEMAND. I also noticed it last June 2017, when I attempted to watch the campy From Hell It Came (1957). The movie was only about 70 min long originally, but ON-DEMAND cut it off at about 30 min into the flick. 
I "reported" the problem (posted about it) back then, to no avail.
This issue has occurred before and since, but off-hand, I can no longer recall those specific titles.
I know that this is a very frustrating and agree wholeheartedly that it should NOT occur At ALL.
However, this is TCM ON-DEMAND we are talking about, and there are worse (more frequently occurring, longer lasting) problems than this one, in my opinion. Thankfully, this type of TCM "error" has not (yet) become such a commonly occurring problem, as the others.

I also agree with you about those pervasive, extremely annoying, impossible to avoid, expanding "Ben" pop-ups, harassing users of TCM streaming services to "join" the TCM Backlot "fan" club," has turned me into anything but a fan...

On 1/29/2018 at 9:02 PM, starstricken said:

Hiya starstriken

Just want to give you a heads-up that TCM ON-DEMAND is repeating last months (and months before) shenanigans again!
I just settled back to watch THE CHAMP (1931) today, that old tear jerker of a classic that I hadn't seen on TCM since late 2015.
Normally this movie has an 85-86 min run-time, but NOT ON-DEMAND.
The movie cuts out at 41.36 min. And that includes a 1.38 min intro and a 47 second Outro from Ben, leaving approximately 39 min of actual movie (less than half) which abruptly shuts down while Beery and company are driving back after Jackie visits his mom for the first time.

I've already created a thread and reported it in the Moderator's pinned thread in this forum. Not much else we can do at our end about such things.

I wrote:
What a disappointment, and a dishonor to this wonderful film. Either show the whole damn thing or don't show it at all (ON-DEMAND). Last month TCM did the same thing with WINGS OF DESIRE (1987).
The people "in-charge" (and I use that word with a lot of latitude) of your ON-DEMAND streaming services are really dropping the ball again. Is there no one monitoring any of this at your end?
I know it pains us viewers, but it never should be up to us to do your job for you.
Quality? Where is the "consistent" Quality that TCM promotes when it comes to your streaming services???

I (and I'm sure at least a few others) would really appreciate if someone at your end got on the ball and corrected this issue immediately so we could actually watch this precode gem that TCM infrequently airs.

Thanks for "hearing" me out and I hope someone at TCM actually takes this sort of criticism to heart.
Praise when praiseworthy, "constructive" criticism when duly warranted.

Sincerely a very long-time TCM viewer and yes, I am a fan ;)

• Sad 1

DAY 7 AND THE CHAMP NEVER WAS GIVEN A CHANCE BY TCM ON-DEMAND TO SHOW HIS STUFF!

This "problem" was NEVER corrected AND apparently COMPLETELY IGNORED by TCM and staff!

Nice, isn't it that "they" take their positions so seriously and show us how much "they" really care about these movies, and our concerns.... (meant most facetiously) :rolleyes:

Hi Stephan55 (My buddy, Norman, that is).  I started another topic tonight after the dreaded box appeared stating "you are not authorized to view this content by your tv provider".  Exasperating because I AM authorized to view tcm by Verizon fios but get this lousy message all too often.  In fact, once is more than enough.  Microsoft updated my computer last night, so that may be related, but this is very frustrating for me when tcm is the only tv network that I watch, an there is no one at tcm who can help me, certainly not Mankiewicz who is too preoccupied with the usual pontification of his leftwing drivel. Thanks for listening.

• Thanks 1