jakeem

Wagner now a "person of interest" in Natalie Wood's death

176 posts in this topic

As someone who also is terrified of drowning, I always wondered how Natalie Wood would be on a boat without wearing a floatation vest. I don't care HOW it looks, even when going out in a rowboat on a shallow lake, I wear a vest. Even my Golden Retriever wears a floatation vest!
And if I had the money, you better believe my boat would be customized with tall railings with slip through proof mesh all around.

3 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

As someone who also is terrified of drowning, I always wondered how Natalie Wood would be on a boat without wearing a floatation vest. I don't care HOW it looks, even when going out in a rowboat on a shallow lake, I wear a vest. Even my Golden Retriever wears a floatation vest!
And if I had the money, you better believe my boat would be customized with tall railings with slip through proof mesh all around.

I would be wearing a vest too.  I can't swim--especially in dark, cold, ocean water! I don't even like to get too close to the shoreline at the Coast, because I don't want to get swept away by a sneaker wave! 

I am wondering if Natalie's intense fear of dark water also contributed to her drowning.  I know that she was intoxicated at the time of the accident, but I feel like falling into the water (provided she was conscious) would sober you up (at least somewhat).  If she starting panicking, especially if she were wearing the down coat, I could see that pulling her down into the water. 

Nobody knows exactly what happened. Many believe that Robert Wagner and Natalie Wood got into a fight the night of her death. It was reported by eyewitnesses that they were drunk before and after the dinner. And Robert Wagner spent an hour or so drinking scotch by himself. Robert Wagner also wrote in his memoir that after a night of drinking, he got in a heated argument with Christopher Walken over Natalie Wood's career. People become confrontational and hostile when drunk.

15 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

I think it was just the era. Awareness of the importance of the flotation device being worn at all times on the water is a fairly recent phenomenon, as far as I can tell. Our Little League team used to have an end-of-the-season party every year at our coach's lakehouse, and he would take the entire team for spins around the lake in his speedboat, small groups at a time. This would have been right around the time of Natalie's death. None of us wore lifejackets, and none of the parents objected or forbade their children from going.

1 minute ago, sewhite2000 said:

I think it was just the era. Awareness of the importance of the flotation device being worn at all times on the water is a fairly recent phenomenon, as far as I can tell. Our Little League team used to have an end-of-the-season party every year at our coach's lakehouse, and he would take the entire team for spins around the lake in his speedboat, small groups at a time. This would have been right around the time of Natalie's death. None of us wore lifejackets, and none of the parents objected or forbade their children from going.

Well sure, sewhite!

That's 'cause Robert Wagner wasn't drivin' the boat!

(...or for that matter, RICHARD Wagner either, right?!)

Actually, Wagner wasnt driving his boat either. He had his own captain!

14 hours ago, Diana101 said:
Nobody knows exactly what happened. Many believe that Robert Wagner and Natalie Wood got into a fight the night of her death. It was reported by eyewitnesses that they were drunk before and after the dinner. And Robert Wagner spent an hour or so drinking scotch by himself. Robert Wagner also wrote in his memoir that after a night of drinking, he got in a heated argument with Christopher Walken over Natalie Wood's career. People become confrontational and hostile when drunk.

There was heavy drinking going on all wknd. But that doesnt mean there was a murder involved. The case will never be solved unless someone confesses to something. All this hearsay evidence or past behavior (pre-boating) doesnt prove anything.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Actually, Wagner wasnt driving his boat either. He had his own captain

I was talking about in sewhite's childhood memory here, Hibi.

(...yeah yeah, I know...sometimes my "connections" in these things are a bit tenuous, aren't they) ;)

15 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

When you say 'at all times' do you mean even while sleeping?   I been on a lot of boats recently and we wore them at all times,  except when we went to sleep (but they were right by the side of the bed in case we needed them in an emergency).

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hibi said:

There was heavy drinking going on all wknd. But that doesnt mean there was a murder involved. The case will never be solved unless someone confesses to something. All this hearsay evidence or past behavior (pre-boating) doesnt prove anything.

We will never know what really happened to Natalie Wood. Her death was ruled an accidental drowning at the time. But now, the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department reopened the case, and the cause of death on her death certificate was changed to "drowning and other undetermined factors." The captain of the Splendour, Davern stated he had been coerced by Robert Wagner to keep quiet because he was his boss. Davern made a new statement that there had been tension between Wagner and Wood because of Walken. According to Davern, Robert Wagner snapped at Christopher Walken and Natalie Wood over their relationship. Davern took a polygraph test and passed. Robert Wagner is now a person of interest in Natalie Wood's death. However, the sheriff's department has not questioned him yet regarding the new claims. I think they should give Robert Wagner polygraph test over his account of the incident. If he passes the polygraph test, they should close the case and let Natalie Wood rest in peace.

7 minutes ago, Diana101 said:

We will never know what really happened to Natalie Wood. Her death was ruled an accidental drowning at the time. But now, the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department reopened the case, and the cause of death on her death certificate was changed to "drowning and other undetermined factors." The captain of the Splendour, Davern stated he had been coerced by Robert Wagner to keep quiet because he was his boss. Davern made a new statement that there had been tension between Wagner and Wood because of Walken. According to Davern, Robert Wagner snapped at Christopher Walken and Natalie Wood over their relationship. Davern took a polygraph test and passed. Robert Wagner is now a person of interest in Natalie Wood's death. However, the sheriff's department has not questioned him yet regarding the new claims. I think they should give Robert Wagner polygraph test over his account of the incident. If he passes the polygraph test, they should close the case and let Natalie Wood rest in peace.

I think making Wagner take a polygraph test would be a waste of time, they aren't really very reliable and can't be held up in a court of law.

Davern may be telling the truth, but then again he may not be. As most of us on here have been saying, the truth will never really truly be known, no matter how many people come out with supposedly new testimony or evidence.

15 minutes ago, Diana101 said:

I'd take anything Davern says with a grain of salt. And I'm certain Wagner isnt going to submit to a polygraph 40 years later. (and they can be gamed). Authorities can make headlines all they want, but they'll need more than hearsay to make any charges in this case.

14 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I think making Wagner take a polygraph test would be a waste of time, they aren't really very reliable and can't be held up in a court of law.

Davern may be telling the truth, but then again he may not be. As most of us on here have been saying, the truth will never really truly be known, no matter how many people come out with supposedly new testimony or evidence.

I don't believe the police \ DA can make someone take a polygraph test.    

Also it is my understanding the 'new' statement was made back in 2010 and the case reopened due to that, in 2011.   So the authorities did follow up and coroner changed the cause of death reason,  but there still wasn't enough for the DA to file any type of criminal charges against R.W. 

Yes, the truth will never be known,  and while that might be a miscarriage of justice (especially if the investigation was botched or bias shortly after her death),   reopening it today, can't correct for that.

• Like 2

I would also be leery of any "new" evidence or testimony...

There becomes a point when a particular theory or idea is thrown around so much that people begin to accept it as fact.  Without some type of surveillance video, or some other type of source to corroborate a witness' account, it would be hard to now whether what is being reported as fact or another regurgitation of the same theories. 

• Like 1

The L.A.County Sheriff's Department reopened the case after Davern came forward with new information. They hooked him up the a polygraph and he passed with flying colors. Investigators believe that Natalie Wood's death is suspicious, and they want to question Robert Wagner. But Robert Wagner has declined to speak to them. He should come forward and speak to them if he has nothing to hide. Christopher Walken has spoken with investigators.
  • Haha 1

If Davern's "information" was so earth shattering that it qualified re-opening the case, why didn't he come forward with this information in 1981?  

Polygraph tests are not always accurate.  If someone is telling the truth, but really nervous, then it'll affect the results.  If someone is lying, but is able to stay cool, then their deceit won't be detected.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Diana101 said:
The L.A.County Sheriff's Department reopened the case after Davern came forward with new information. They hooked him up the a polygraph and he passed with flying colors. Investigators believe that Natalie Wood's death is suspicious, and they want to question Robert Wagner. But Robert Wagner has declined to speak to them. He should come forward and speak to them if he has nothing to hide. Christopher Walken has spoken with investigators.

No one should ever 'come forward and speak' to legal authorizes without first seeking the advise of consul.  

The POV of 'one should speak if they have nothing to hide' is hooey and contrary to the Miranda ruling.   One has the right to remain silent and that is what I would recommend for R.W.    

• Like 2

I tried to post my reply, but my post didn't appear. Perhaps there was a temporary glitch. Now it's working, lol.

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

No one should ever 'come forward and speak' to legal authorizes without first seeking the advise of consul.  

The POV of 'one should speak if they have nothing to hide' is hooey and contrary to the Miranda ruling.   One has the right to remain silent and that is what I would recommend for R.W.    

Robert Wagner can speak to investigators with his lawyer present. But he chose to remain silent. He will remain a person of interest in this case.

1 hour ago, Diana101 said:

Robert Wagner can speak to investigators with his lawyer present. But he chose to remain silent. He will remain a person of interest in this case.

As it's already been pointed out, he has the legal right not to talk to the authorities at this time. Without strong enough or credible enough evidence, the police can't force him to talk with them if he chooses not to.

He may remain a person of interest in the case, but until he's arrested he should also be considered 'innocent until proven guilty' though it seems to be just the opposite on this thread.

On 3/2/2018 at 2:40 PM, speedracer5 said:

I would also be leery of any "new" evidence or testimony...

There becomes a point when a particular theory or idea is thrown around so much that people begin to accept it as fact.  Without some type of surveillance video, or some other type of source to corroborate a witness' account, it would be hard to now whether what is being reported as fact or another regurgitation of the same theories. 

And 40 years later how accurate can these "new people" memories be after all this time???

On 3/2/2018 at 3:14 PM, speedracer5 said:

If Davern's "information" was so earth shattering that it qualified re-opening the case, why didn't he come forward with this information in 1981?  

Polygraph tests are not always accurate.  If someone is telling the truth, but really nervous, then it'll affect the results.  If someone is lying, but is able to stay cool, then their deceit won't be detected.  

He was singing a different tune, back when it happened. He claims to have a "crisis of conscience" which made him come forward. He also made some money from this "crisis" selling his story to The Enquirer and later a book deal!!!

He also has quite a good memory for an alcoholic for an event that happened almost 40 years ago.....

On 3/2/2018 at 3:14 PM, speedracer5 said:

He did. But his version back then was quite different.........

On 2/27/2018 at 6:26 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

I agree with this post 100%.   I really do.    It is also very possible the police didn't investigate R.W. as thoroughly as they should have shortly after her death due to a cavalier attitude toward spousal abuse.     If that was what happened it was a miscarriage of justice.

Note that the case was re-opened in 2011 based on the ship captains revised statements with regards to that fight between Wood and R.W. shortly before boarding.    This lead to an amendment of her death certificate from "accidental drowning" to "drowning and other undetermined factors".

But TODAY the issue-at-hand is what should happen TODAY.    I see nothing 'new' that should have lead to yet another reopening of the case since there is no additional evidence to warrant doing so.    BUT that doesn't mean R.W.  didn't murder her.   It just means there isn't enough evidence beyond a reasonable doubt for the DA to file charges.

I appreciate this so much. What should happen today, in my honest opinion, is to pray for a deathbed confession from Robert Wagner. Until then, pay attention to when you hear about abuse involving a famous person, and people who believe themselves to be famous even when they aren't. 

23 hours ago, hepclassic said:

I appreciate this so much. What should happen today, in my honest opinion, is to pray for a deathbed confession from Robert Wagner. Until then, pay attention to when you hear about abuse involving a famous person, and people who believe themselves to be famous even when they aren't. 

Why should he confess if he didn't do it? 

I am not saying he is innocent, he may very well have had a hand in Natalie's death, but then again he may have had absolutely NOTHING to do with it at all.

I believe accusations should be paid attention to, and it is unfortunate that a lot of cases of abuse end up getting ignored....but I STILL believe that accusations, unless 100 percent proven beyond doubt, should be treated as accusations and not proof of the accused's guilt.

• Like 2