Best Movie Year of the Decade Poll -- Part II

Choose your favorite year....  

7 members have voted

1. 1. In the 1950s

2. 2. The 1960s.

3. 3. 1970s.

4 posts in this topic

1950's

These next few decades were a lot trickier to choose, and my decision may change depending on the day of the week. I considered 1951, '52, '53, and '57, before settling on '54. Highlights from that year include Seven SamuraiOn the Waterfront, the first film in the Samurai trilogy, Creature from the Black LagoonGodzillaThem!La StradaRear Window20,000 Leagues Under the SeaThe Caine MutinySansho the BailiffSeven Brides for Seven BrothersSuddenly, and The Violent Men.

1960's

Again I had a tough time choosing. 1960 and 1967 were front-runners, but I ended up choosing 1962: Lawrence of ArabiaDr. NoThe Longest DayThe Manchurian CandidateHarakiriCape FearLolitaThe Man Who Shot Liberty ValanceRide the High CountryTo Kill a MockingbirdThe Exterminating AngelLonely Are the BraveThe Loneliness of the Long Distance RunnerBirdman of AlcatrazChushinguraAn Autumn AfternoonMy Life to LiveSanjuroMafiosoJules and JimBilly BuddCleo from 5 to 7, L'Eclisse, and What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?.

1970's

This was maybe the toughest decade for me to choose, as it's my favorite decade for films. I finally went with 1979 since it contains my favorite all-time movie: Apocalypse NowAlienThe JerkAll That JazzKramer vs KramerMonty Python's Life of BrianWise BloodTime After TimeBeing ThereManhattanNosferatu the VampyreThe Tin DrumThe Onion FieldPhantasmMad MaxStalkerReal LifeThe China SyndromeTessThe Brood, and The Warriors.

• Like 1

1962 is the easy winner for the 1960s, for the many reasons that Lawrence mentions. I'd add Days of Wine and Roses, David and Lisa, and Lisa (no connection to David), and I believe Experiment in Terror is from this year as well.

The 50s had many good years, but 1958 has three of my absolute top favorites with Ashes and Diamonds, Bonjour Tristesse, and Vertigo. Then add The Key, Man of the West, Touch of Evil, The Quiet American, The Horse's Mouth, The Inn of the Sixth Happiness, The Big Country, The Tarnished Angels, Orders To Kill, Innocent Sinners, A Time To Love and a Time To Die, Gigi, The Left-Handed Gun, Kings Go Forth, A Night To Remember . . . .