Sign in to follow this  
NipkowDisc

the solution to climate change

36 posts in this topic

just stop worrying about it.

:lol:

"the planet will be fine." -george carlin

I figured it was going to be a reference to Ice Station Zebra.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

my mistake and unintentional. I thought I was in off-topic when I posted this.

sorry.:huh:

7 hours ago, Fedya said:

I figured it was going to be a reference to Ice Station Zebra.

I was thinking An Inconvenient Truth. 

10 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

Which is on Turner CLASSIC Movies tonight!!

D'OH!!

finlayson.jpg

Since it snowed TWICE here yesterday( once in the morning, and again AFTER clearing my walkways) I sure wish the climate HERE would change!

And FAST!!

Sepiatone

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

yeah, I see that on tonite's schedule. how about some balance like maybe tcm could show Will: G. Gordon Liddy.

I wish The Best Man had an alternative ending with joe cantwell winning the nomination. tcm needs to stop kissing the posteriors of liberals and show some devil's advocacy in their selections.

5 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Since it snowed TWICE here yesterday( once in the morning, and again AFTER clearing my walkways) I sure wish the climate HERE would change!

And FAST!!

Sepiatone

I hear ya! We have gotten quite a bit of snow ourselves in my neck of the woods the last couple of days, and we are expecting more tonight.

And a week ago we were actually in the 50's! We have bio-polar weather here in Michigan, lol.

4 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

yeah, I see that on tonite's schedule. how about some balance like maybe tcm could show Will: G. Gordon Liddy.

I wish The Best Man had an alternative ending with joe cantwell winning the nomination. tcm needs to stop kissing the posteriors of liberals and show some devil's advocacy in their selections.

If any conservative docs win Oscars, TCM may show them.  In the meanwhile maybe you can watch some John Wayne, Adolph Menjou, Clint Eastwood, Cecil B. DeMille or other Hollywood conservatives' (they do exist) flicks and keep the politics in the OFF TOPIC thread, please.

24 minutes ago, ChristineHoard said:

If any conservative docs win Oscars, TCM may show them.  In the meanwhile maybe you can watch some John Wayne, Adolph Menjou, Clint Eastwood, Cecil B. DeMille or other Hollywood conservatives' (they do exist) flicks and keep the politics in the OFF TOPIC thread, please.

The Sorrow and the Pity was just on earlier today and knowing how some conservatives seem to think there's "good on both sides" that could entertain them.

44 minutes ago, ChristineHoard said:

If any conservative docs win Oscars, TCM may show them. 

Somehow I don't think the section of the Academy that votes for the Documentary winner will vote for an openly conservative documentary.

20 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

The Sorrow and the Pity was just on earlier today and knowing how some conservatives seem to think there's "good on both sides" that could entertain them.

Alternatively, one could point out how the liberals keep making excuses for Communists.  Because totalitarian collectivism is somehow less bad if it's perceived to be coming from the left.

6 minutes ago, Fedya said:

Somehow I don't think the section of the Academy that votes for the Documentary winner will vote for an openly conservative documentary.

No, but they do win at the Razzies.

0031398252375_p0_v1_s.jpg

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Fedya said:

Alternatively, one could point out how the liberals keep making excuses for Communists.  Because totalitarian collectivism is somehow less bad if it's perceived to be coming from the left.

What liberals are you hanging out with that "keep making excuses for Communists"? That was a nice illustration of "Whataboutism", though.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

And FAST!!

Every year when some (orange and/or Bush Jr.-sentimental) Republican says "There can't be global warming, it's too cold!"--followed by trying to tell us why documentaries are the most insidious evil on this earth--I always say:

Why not spend a nice, warm, toasty evening sleeping out on the desert, and in the morning, I'll explain what causes "Temperature extremes"?  ^_^

11 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

What liberals are you hanging out with that "keep making excuses for Communists"? That was a nice illustration of "Whataboutism", though.

Nobody else would know this saying, but it's a favorite among one of my obscure fan-niches:
Among regular Disney-parkgoers, there's complaints that the Florida park is popular with Brazilian tour groups during the spring, who literally treat their junket like a World Cup weekend, going in loud groups barging, chanting, and generally unacquainted with more reserved behavior up north.

And on park-fan discussion forums, any greedy-parent who wonders why they got public disapproval for considering themselves "owed" enough to break protocol rules, like pushy behavior, sneaking in on discount loopholes, or Momzilla entitlement for their kids, or anything else frowned upon by the more polite fans, falls back on the exact same Whataboutist phrase, to the point that it's become a running joke among core fans:  "...But what about the Brazilians??"

I have to explain that in detail, because very few people ever know what I'm talking about when I use that phrase in political discussions.  :lol:

4 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I hear ya! We have gotten quite a bit of snow ourselves in my neck of the woods the last couple of days, and we are expecting more tonight.

And a week ago we were actually in the 50's! We have bio-polar weather here in Michigan, lol.

Where in MI are you?  I'm Southeast, Wayne county just outside Detroit.  So you know that old saw----

"If you don't like the weather here in Michigan, wait 5 minutes.  It'll change!" :D

Sepiatone

50 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Where in MI are you?  I'm Southeast, Wayne county just outside Detroit.  So you know that old saw----

"If you don't like the weather here in Michigan, wait 5 minutes.  It'll change!" :D

Sepiatone

Redford, which is near Detroit.

• Like 1

The conservative response to "An Inconvenient Truth" is to get out your pencil and paper and count all the doomsday scenarios Algore promised that haven't materialized.

The best thing that happened was Al Gore making a movie out of it so people would see how ridiculous these people are.

Hey! Just wanna say here that every time I read some Climate Change denier go on and on about how cold and snowy this winter has been in places like the American Northeast and Midwest, and WHICH I might add is pretty much to norm, ALL I think of is how exceptionally and unusually DRY and WARM it's been this winter here in the Southwest!

AND, which of course IS as MUCH a damn anecdotal observation as ANY of the Climate Change deniers' always offer up this time of year, seemingly EVERY freakin' year, and with NEITHER of which, mine OR theirs, being validated by any long-term scientifically derived data.

(...and so I guess what I'm trying to say here is the following: HEY all you Climate Change deniers, GIVE IT A FREAKIN' REST HERE, WHY DONCHA?!!!...'cause YOUR little weather observations don't mean JACK and prove absolutely NOTHING, and just like MINE here!!!)  

• Like 2

AND btw...where the hell has the freakin' moderator been since this thread was started (accidentally according to ol' Nip the OP) in this General Discussion forum?

And SO of course it can be moved to where it truly SHOULD reside..."Blowhard Central"!

(...aka, the "Off-Topic Forum"!) 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Redford, which is near Detroit.

I know where you are.  Nice town.  We're practically neighbors. ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 1

23 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

The Deep State run by Ben Mankiewicz won't let them. 

They probably have Dennis Miller locked up in a closet behind the set. LMREO

• Haha 1